Yuna Kim | Page 52 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Re: Yu-Na news

I tend to think that Mao will not dominate this season because she's going through a major overhaul on her jump technique.

Regarding Yuna-----I think her ability to dominate will be dependent on her securing a solid 3-loop. I tend to think that she'll not be able to master the 3-axel.

Yu-Na will not skate in the Grand Prix, nor Korean Nationals ( She will be given the title again. ), probably not 4CC, and she won't qualify for the World Team Trophy. So Yu-Na's entire season is one event, the World Championship. She won't dominate the season, though she might dominate one event.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Yu-Na will not skate in the Grand Prix, nor Korean Nationals ( She will be given the title again. ), probably not 4CC, and she won't qualify for the World Team Trophy. So Yu-Na's entire season is one event, the World Championship. She won't dominate the season, though she might dominate one event.

I don't think she was ever given a title for a competition she did not competed at. She had an automatic bid for Worlds, I think. But I believe that the last time she had the title was when, well, she competed at the competition, which was 2006.

prettykeys

Medalist

Worlds is in Japan this year and the new SP rule about the Axel jump specifically benefits Mao Asada. I think Yu-Na going to Worlds will depend on how Mao performs throughout the season. If Mao's 3Axel is inconsistent, then Yu-Na may show up. Otherwise, I think Yu-Na will skip Worlds and then either start training a 3Axel of her own for the 2011-2012 season or stop competing altogether (while keeping her options open for later seasons, if she sees no competitors with a good 3Axel).
This would actually be an excellent strategy for YuNa, if she wants to keep competing. I do hope though, that even if Mao has a marvelous 2010-2011 season, that YuNa shows up to Worlds, anyway, and gives us a nice show--even if it doesn't earn Gold.

I tend to think that Mao will not dominate this season because she's going through a major overhaul on her jump technique. Her jump coach Mr. Nagakubo predicted that it will take two years for all her jumps to get fixed completely. Assuming that she doesn't get injured in the process, I do, however, expect her to be 'textbook' in two years' time. This will coincide with the time around when the Russian skaters enter the circuit, and I think this will be another epic period in women's singles!

Regarding Yuna---after all, this is Yuna thread---I think her ability to dominate will be dependent on her securing a solid 3-loop. I tend to think that she'll not be able to master the 3-axel.

Even if Mao flounders this season, however, I wonder if Yuna will dominate. For one, the double-axel was such a point getter for Yuna, but now, not only has the base point gone down, she can only do two. Also, the idea of just doing Worlds seems really risky. I mean, it may be that Mao's jumps will still be unstable even at Worlds and Yuna will just go out there and manage to do all her jumps including 3-loop with the kind of GOEs she got last season, but there's no guarantee of that happening. She really ought to go to 4CC, at the very least if she's serious about trying to win.

I'm also wondering if the new rule changes will affect how step sequences are scored.
That's a great analysis, and I agree with everything. I also think the next four years will be extremely exciting. :biggrin:

PolymerBob, can you answer me this? Why are you sounding like a broken record when you keep talking about the Korean Nationals and how YuNa is supposedly gifted the title of its champion? She is not--the Gold medalists have been Na-Young and Haejin for the past couple years. I don't understand what you are harping on and on about--are you saying YuNa is not deserving of being considered the S. Korean champion? Are you saying she is getting a free ride by not having to compete in a national competition when the other ladies of other nations need to? :unsure: You are the only one I've ever heard bitching about this--and I don't even know what it is exactly about. Given that YuNa is a top-5 skater in the world and there is no one from her country that remotely has a chance to touch her; given that she lives and trains on the other side of the world...YuNa attending her Nationals would be the most administratively pointless thing. So what exactly is the issue that's got your panties in a twist?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

In the US, if you don't show up for US Nationals or are injured and skate poorly at US Nationals, you usually do not get a berth on the World team, regardless of your previous year's performance. Getting an automatic assignment to the team seems odd here. And when someone is just assigned and doesn't have to skate to qualify, there is always argument and heart burning. People are still miffed about Todd Eldridge getting a bye due to injury. Currenly, you can get a good argument about Johnny not getting a berth to Worlds when he was the previous year's world's bronze medallist. It's just different here.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

In the US, if you don't show up for US Nationals or are injured and skate poorly at US Nationals, you usually do not get a berth on the World team, regardless of your previous year's performance. Getting an automatic assignment to the team seems odd here. And when someone is just assigned and doesn't have to skate to qualify, there is always argument and heart burning. People are still miffed about Todd Eldridge getting a bye due to injury. Currenly, you can get a good argument about Johnny not getting a berth to Worlds when he was the previous year's world's bronze medallist. It's just different here.

Nicely said. It's up to each country's federation to decide who will be on their team. And somehow I'm really doubting that anyone, even rival skaters, are grumbling about Yuna's automatic bid. If anything, as someone pointed out, she's been the one that's enabled the opportunity to compete in the first place.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice

Maybe what PolymerBob says is about her biography. Its placement of national championship describes she'd won for 5 times,04-05~08-09.
I don't mind that because she definitely won if she competed though. Anyway,Korea has some talented upcoming skaters. Can't wait to see them grow up as a skater and compete with Yuna both International events and the national championship :cool: It happens around 2 or 3 years later?

Back to topic,Mao's jump plan for SP sounds not 3F-3Lo,3Lz,3A or 3F-3T,3Lz,3A. I don't know what she plans though. As a few says she and Mr.Nagakubo try to fix her jump habits which she got in having practiced alone. According to the article,she learns many things from him. Compared the performance at DOI and The Ice to the Worlds,she looks faster into jumps and arms up when she lands. It's good changes of her:) Hope her jumps get better even little by little.

As for Yuna,I think how it works not to take part in competitions until Worlds if she decide to compete. See almost all skaters back to retirement participate in one or two competitions before GPS. Perhaps that means something like a sence.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Unobjective fans are so hilarious.

Mao will likely go for 3f-3lo meaning she will have to do 3lz as her solo jump and she'll lose a point or two on that because of the wrong edge takeoff.

Why would she do the 3Lz in the SP if she knows it will get an edge deduction? Stupid reasoning on your part. Mao was training the 3F-3T during the 2007-2008 season and successfully did it at all of her big competitions that season. I am sure she will go back to doing that combination. Later down the road, when and if she fixes her 3Lz edge, then she may start trying 3F-3Lo in the SP again.

Yuna's jumps are better than Mao's, so even with the changes in GOE, she'll still get more GOE on them than Mao will.

No, Yu-Na's toe-pick jumps are better than Mao's. She will get more GOE overall than Mao because of that, yes, but the base value of Mao's LP will likely be worth far more.

Compare; first Mao's layout then Yu-Na's (if she doesn't include the 3Loop):

3Axel
3Axel-2Toe
3Flip-3Toe
---------
3Loop
3Flip-2Loop-2Loop
3Lutz
2Axel (or 3Sal if she is practicing it again, but I'll just say 2Axel for now)

Total - 53.43

vs.

3Lutz-3Toe
3Flip-2Loop
2Axel
----------
3Flip
3Sal
3Lutz
2Axel-2Toe-2Loop

Total - 44.7

Yu-Na will probably get about 3 more points from GOE grades in comparison to Mao, but that still puts her behind by 5 points overall. Mao has room to get downgraded on one of the Triple Axels and still come out ahead.

Basics

On the Ice

Why would she do the 3Lz in the SP if she knows it will get an edge deduction? Stupid reasoning on your part. Mao was training the 3F-3T during the 2007-2008 season and successfully did it at all of her big competitions that season. I am sure she will go back to doing that combination. Later down the road, when and if she fixes her 3Lz edge, then she may start trying 3F-3Lo in the SP again.

No, Yu-Na's toe-pick jumps are better than Mao's. She will get more GOE overall than Mao because of that, yes, but the base value of Mao's LP will likely be worth far more.

Compare; first Mao's layout then Yu-Na's (if she doesn't include the 3Loop):

3Axel
3Axel-2Toe
3Flip-3Toe
---------
3Loop
3Flip-2Loop-2Loop
3Lutz
2Axel (or 3Sal if she is practicing it again, but I'll just say 2Axel for now)

Total - 53.43

vs.

3Lutz-3Toe
3Flip-2Loop
2Axel
----------
3Flip
3Sal
3Lutz
2Axel-2Toe-2Loop

Total - 44.7

Yu-Na will probably get about 3 more points from GOE grades in comparison to Mao, but that still puts her behind by 5 points overall. Mao has room to get downgraded on one of the Triple Axels and still come out ahead.

You are certainly VERY optimistic about Mao's ability. Seriously the layout you wrote down is probably a dream layout for Mao. I don't find it objective either.

As for Mao's 3F-3T, it is highly unlikely. You are talking about 16-17 yrs old Mao. The time has passed.
She's even having a hard time adding 2T/2Lo to her other jumps.

Last edited:

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker

As for Mao's 3F-3T, it is highly unlikely. You are talking about 16-17 yrs old Mao. The time has passed. (and just for the record, she did get it downgraded at 08 Worlds.)

No, it didn't. Mao's 3F+3T at Worlds 2008 was ratified.

;)

cosmos

On the Ice

I don't think you are objective either. You are comparing the best scenario of Mao to the not best scenario of YuNa.

If I were YuNa, I would bring 4T instead of 2A in lp. It may not be fully rotated but wouldn't be downgraded. YuNa's 4T is more probable than Mao's 3-3, IMO.

Maybe what PolymerBob says is about her biography. Its placement of national championship describes she'd won for 5 times,04-05~08-09.

OK, here is a mystery that maybe some Yu-na fan can clear up.

Kim's official ISU biography says she won the Korean senior national championship in the 2002-03 season, then finished third in 2003-04. The ISU says that the winner in 2003-04 was Bit-na Park, who also won in 2000 and 2001 and represented Korea at the 2002 Olympics.

On Wikipedia, it says on Park's page that Park won but on Yu-na's page it says that Yu-na won. In a foornote it says that the resuts were miscommunicated to the ISU.

Does anyone know what the true deal is?

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France

I don't think you are objective either. You are comparing the best scenario of Mao to the not best scenario of YuNa.

It's not even the best-case scenario for Mao. I didn't account for the possiblity of her doing a 3Sal. The layout I listed for Yu-Na is a absolutely the best-case scenario for her without a 3Loop, though. I even gave Yu-Na the benefit of the doubt with doing a 3Flip-2Loop combination, when she probably would just attempt 3Flip-2Toe.

If I were YuNa, I would bring 4T instead of 2A in lp. It may not be fully rotated but wouldn't be downgraded. YuNa's 4T is more probable than Mao's 3-3, IMO.

Since when has Yu-Na ever practiced a 4T and shown she is a capable of consistently and cleanly landing even an underrotated 4T? LOL, all of these arguments are so inane. Keep them coming, though!

You are certainly VERY optimistic about Mao's ability. Seriously the layout you wrote down is probably a dream layout for Mao. I don't find it objective either.

Mao has done that level of jumping before. Look at the jump layout she successfully completed twice during the 2007-2008 season:

3Axel
3Flip-3Toe
3Lutz
--------
3Salchow / 3Loop (it was a Salchow earlier in the year, a Loop later on)
3Flip-3Loop
2Axel-2Loop-2Loop
2Axel

Even if Mao isn't perfect, let's not forget that Yu-Na almost never skates a perfect LP either. Her Long Programs can no longer have 3 Double Axels, she needs to put in the 3Loop or another 3Flip, so her consistency will likely suffer.

Miki Ando might even be a threat to Yu-Na considering her 3Loop combinations and Quad Salchow will now be worth a good amount of points even if they get downgraded. I suspect Miki will go back to the jump layout she was attempting (and successfully completing, aside from minor underrotation) at the start of the 2008-2009 season and stopped trying because she got hammered by downgrades:

3Toe-3Loop
4Sal
3Flip
--------
3Lutz-2Loop
3Lutz
3Loop
2Axel-2Loop-2Loop

If the first 3Loop and the 4Sal both get downgraded, the base vale for her jumps is still 48.78...4 points higher than Yu-Na's base value. Yu-Na can make up a LOT of ground in other areas against Miki Ando, but that puts considerable pressure on her to skate perfect. In the past Yu-Na could fall and still defeat Miki Ando, but that won't be the case anymore (unless Miki makes mistakes aside from just underrotating the first couple big jumping passes in her program).

And, no, I am not Japanese or getting paid by JFS (I should be, though, hah)! I'm just providing an objective view of the competition Yu-Na will likely face in the coming season. Mao Asada and Miki Ando are going to be especially driven to succeed this year with Worlds taking place in Japan. Does Yu-Na have the motivation to go out there and skate perfectly again like she did at the Olympics? We saw what happened at 2010 Worlds.

I personally hope Yu-Na keeps competing all the way up through 2014 Olympics, but my prediction is that it won't happen. Now you can go back to talking about Yu-Na news (or we can debate more, that's fun too).

gmyers

Record Breaker

Has any female other than Surya Bonaly tried a 4T in competition? If a female does try a quad it is usually a salchow. It is basically an edge jump rather than a toe jump. You can see how good Kim's 3T is but going for a 4T? I don't know about that!

brownfox

On the Ice

Has any female other than Surya Bonaly tried a 4T in competition? If a female does try a quad it is usually a salchow. It is basically an edge jump rather than a toe jump. You can see how good Kim's 3T is but going for a 4T? I don't know about that!

I think the poster was trying to be sarcastic about the 4T!! Lol.

cosmos

On the Ice

It's not even the best-case scenario for Mao. I didn't account for the possiblity of her doing a 3Sal. The layout I listed for Yu-Na is a absolutely the best-case scenario for her without a 3Loop, though. I even gave Yu-Na the benefit of the doubt with doing a 3Flip-2Loop combination, when she probably would just attempt 3Flip-2Toe.

Since when has Yu-Na ever practiced a 4T and shown she is a capable of consistently and cleanly landing even an underrotated 4T? LOL, all of these arguments are so inane. Keep them coming, though!
You are assuming that Mao bring 3-3 she couldn't do in the most imortant competition in her entire career but YuNa can't bring 3L, and you call it objective. Just funny.

If YuNa is determined to compete and win, she will bring something. She won't just let time go. It is so obvious. I don't knoe what it is, but, YuNa's 4T is more realistic than Mao's 3-3, I believe.

Last edited:

cosmos

On the Ice

OK, here is a mystery that maybe some Yu-na fan can clear up.

Kim's official ISU biography says she won the Korean senior national championship in the 2002-03 season, then finished third in 2003-04. The ISU says that the winner in 2003-04 was Bit-na Park, who also won in 2000 and 2001 and represented Korea at the 2002 Olympics.

On Wikipedia, it says on Park's page that Park won but on Yu-na's page it says that Yu-na won. In a foornote it says that the resuts were miscommunicated to the ISU.

Does anyone know what the true deal is?
Nobody knows exactly. But, YuNa surely won. You can still find news articles of that time that described YuNa's win. KSU gives no explanation.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France

You are assuming that Mao bring 3-3 she couldn't do in the most imortant competition in her entire career but YuNa can't bring 3L, and you call it objective. Just funny.

Have you not been listening at all? Mao didn't try to do a 3-3 combination at the Olympics because her coach was an idiot about the jump layout of the program. However, in the past, Mao has consistently done Triple-Triple combinations. Yu-Na, on the other hand, has landed the Triple Loop a total of twice in the entire past 5 years! Clearly it's realistic to say Mao can bring the 3-3 back into her performances and Yu-Na will avoid the 3Loop.

If YuNa is determined to compete and win, she will bring something. She won't just let time go. It is so obvious. I don't knoe what it is, but, YuNa's 4T is more realistic than Mao's 3-3, I believe.

Pure ignorance. Mao has landed a Triple-Triple combination at least 30+ times in her competitive career. Yu-Na has never even attempted the 4T.