Yuna Kim | Page 53 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Re: Yu-Na news

Has Mao ever done a 3-3 and two triple axels though? That doesn't seem realistic to me at all. When she started chasing the two/three triple axels, she stopped doing the 3-3, right?

aftertherain

Record Breaker

Has Mao ever done a 3-3 and two triple axels though? That doesn't seem realistic to me at all. When she started chasing the two/three triple axels, she stopped doing the 3-3, right?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she stopped. But now that she has a new jump coach instead of sticking with Tarasova (and after such a dismal season), it is quite possible that she'll try a 3-3 along with a triple axel or two. Baby steps!

bekalc

Record Breaker

[You are assuming that Mao bring 3-3 she couldn't do in the most imortant competition in her entire career but YuNa can't bring 3L, and you call it objective. Just funny.

If YuNa is determined to compete and win, she will bring something. She won't just let time go. It is so obvious. I don't knoe what it is, but, YuNa's 4T is more realistic than Mao's 3-3, I believe.

I don't think you can criticize someone elses objectivity if your saying a 4toe from Yu-na is more likely than a 3/3 from Mao. I mean first of all does Yu-na even train 4toes, we have clips of Mao still training her 3/3s. A 4toe is an extremely difficult jump to master, and it can take several years to do so. Ask some of the men about that. Mao has actually done 3/3s in the past before. I think there's clearly something going on with her 3/3s. And it seems puberty and rules have affected them, but she's far more likely to fix and get back a former skill. Than Yu-na is likely to master a 4toe or yes a 3axel.
I wonder how Yu-na feels when she reads fans talking about her "4toe"

Yu-Na, on the other hand, has landed the Triple Loop a total of twice in the entire past 5 years! Clearly it's realistic to say Mao can bring the 3-3 back into her performances and Yu-Na will avoid the 3Loop.

I think its a bit ridiculous to say Yu-na can't bring back the 3loop. Reports are she lands the 3loop in practice fine and she did land it numerous times as a Junior. For a long time she didn't need it. I wouldn't assume that she couldn't bring it back. I think she's as likely to bring back the 3loop as Mao is to bring the 3sal.

Mao did one 3axel and two 3/3s in 2006-2007.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker

She attempted two triple Axels and a 3F+3Lo at Japanese Nationals 2008. Both triple Axels, as well as the 3Lo in the 3F+3Lo combination, were downgraded.

sunny0760

On the Ice

Mao didn't try to do a 3-3 combination at the Olympics because her coach was an idiot about the jump layout of the program. However, in the past, Mao has consistently done Triple-Triple combinations. However, in the past, Mao has consistently done Triple-Triple combinations. Yu-Na, on the other hand, has landed the Triple Loop a total of twice in the entire past 5 years! Clearly it's realistic to say Mao can bring the 3-3 back into her performances and Yu-Na will avoid the 3Loop.

When was the last time that Mao did one or two SUCCESSFUL 3-3(s) at the competition? Why has she not done it for quite a while?
No, TAT is not an idiot. She is not ignorant of the present scoring system not like some would say. I am sure she wanted to include 3-3(s) in her program for the oly season. Anyway, she could not and there had to be a reason.

Definitely, Mao wants to bring her 3-3 back and now, if Yuna seriously wants to continue to compete, including a 3Loop in her program at least once would be almost essential. Will they succeed in those until the end of this season? Let's wait and see.

cosmos

On the Ice

Have you not been listening at all? Mao didn't try to do a 3-3 combination at the Olympics because her coach was an idiot about the jump layout of the program. However, in the past, Mao has consistently done Triple-Triple combinations. Yu-Na, on the other hand, has landed the Triple Loop a total of twice in the entire past 5 years! Clearly it's realistic to say Mao can bring the 3-3 back into her performances and Yu-Na will avoid the 3Loop.

Pure ignorance. Mao has landed a Triple-Triple combination at least 30+ times in her competitive career. Yu-Na has never even attempted the 4T.
No, you are complertely ignorant of Mao's situation last season. It was her decision to put two 3A and no 3-3, because she simply can't land it. The decision has nothing with TT.

Yes, Mao landed (sloppy) 3-3 light years ago. In the last two years she couldn't land fully rotated 3-3.

I don't think you can criticize someone elses objectivity if your saying a 4toe from Yu-na is more likely than a 3/3 from Mao. I mean first of all does Yu-na even train 4toes, we have clips of Mao still training her 3/3s. A 4toe is an extremely difficult jump to master, and it can take several years to do so. Ask some of the men about that. Mao has actually done 3/3s in the past before. I think there's clearly something going on with her 3/3s. And it seems puberty and rules have affected them, but she's far more likely to fix and get back a former skill. Than Yu-na is likely to master a 4toe or yes a 3axel.
I wonder how Yu-na feels when she reads fans talking about her "4toe"
I don't claim I am objective. It was just ridiculous for someone to think he/she was objective.

I believe YuNa can land 4T. It may not be fully rotated, but still ok if it is more than 3.5 turns rotated. She can get 70% value, which is higher than 3L base value.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

The last time I remember Mao landing solid, ratified 3-3s was in the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons. In 05-06, she did 3f-3lo in the SP and one solo 3a in the LP, but no 3-3s in the LP. In 06-07, she did 3f-3lo in the SP and one solo 3a, a 2a-3t (which she struggled with), and a 3f-3lo in her LP. I think 06-07 was the season she had the most difficulty in her LP, but she has grown an inch or two since then and even that season she was very inconsistent in her LPs.

I think that two 3-3s and a 3a or two 3a s and a 3-3 is not going to happen for Mao. Especially because it appears that she has to stay super thin in order to rotate the 3a, but being so thin will likely take a toll on her stamina. I think one 3a and one 3-3 is more realistic for Mao, but even then I wouldn't be surprised if she had her fair share of downgrades on either or both elements. Or Mao could go back to her layout from 05-06 when she did 3a in the LP and no 3-3s, but had all her combination jumps at the end of the program to receive bonus points.

bekalc

Record Breaker

Wasn't that in 2007/2008? In 2006/2007 Mao did the 3A, a 2A+3T and the 3F+3Lo.

Oops :lol:

I don't claim I am objective. It was just ridiculous for someone to think he/she was objective.

I believe YuNa can land 4T. It may not be fully rotated, but still ok if it is more than 3.5 turns rotated. She can get 70% value, which is higher than 3L base value.

If your going to call someone else unobjective though than your own objectivity can be questioned. And I'm sorry its ridiculous to say Yu-na "can do the 4toe" Its a jump no woman has ever done and it would take a lot of training time to get it even close. The fact is too that training the 4toe could also perhaps affect her 3toes, which could hurt her 3/3s. Then, there's the injuries that come along training something like that and I'm sorry but I just don't see Yu-na going there. There arent' even clips of Kim practicing 4toe while there were clips last year of Asada practicing 3/3s.

My feeling is expectations like "I believe Yu-na can do the 4toe" are reasons Yu-na may retire. Its completely unrealistic that at this point in her career she'd add a new jump like that a jump she's probably never trained given her injury issues. This girl has enough pressure on her and doesn't need those kind of expectations from fans. As for Mao, she herself has talked about adding 3/3s in and once again already did them, so completely different.

I think that two 3-3s and a 3a or two 3a s and a 3-3 is not going to happen for Mao. Especially because it appears that she has to stay super thin in order to rotate the 3a, but being so thin will likely take a toll on her stamina. I think one 3a and one 3-3 is more realistic for Mao, but even then I wouldn't be surprised if she had her fair share of downgrades on either or both elements. Or Mao could go back to her layout from 05-06 when she did 3a in the LP and no 3-3s, but had all her combination jumps at the end of the program to receive bonus points.

I don't know. I actually think Mao may need more technically if young Elizaveta makes through puberty in one piece. Because Tukt has all the triples and can do 3/3s. A smart Mao at least tries to get the 3lutz, 3sal and 3/3s back.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist

The last time I remember Mao landing solid, ratified 3-3s was in the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons. In 05-06, she did 3f-3lo in the SP and one solo 3a in the LP, but no 3-3s in the LP. In 06-07, she did 3f-3lo in the SP and one solo 3a, a 2a-3t (which she struggled with), and a 3f-3lo in her LP. I think 06-07 was the season she had the most difficulty in her LP, but she has grown an inch or two since then and even that season she was very inconsistent in her LPs.

Nakagubo is already working with her to improve her techniques on her jumps so she may not need to stay super thin to maintain them. He also says that she will only do the 3-3 once she improves her techniques. I agree with the poster who said that next season will be "a work in progress" for Mao. But once she improves, she will definitely include the 3-3 because Nakagubo is also someone who believes a program without a 3-3 is incomplete.

bekalc

Record Breaker

Perhaps she could care less? Just sayin'...

I don't know about that. I think maybe at times she doesn't like the extreme amount of pressure expectations. I remember she was pretty quick to comment on when people were speculating about her landing 3 axels in practice, saying she admired Mao's 3axel and that if she was doing it in practice she'd try it some time in competition.

I doubt she'd care if people speculated maybe she could get one, but when people start talking about "her 4toe" and that its more likely than Asada doing a 3/3....

R.D.

Record Breaker

I remember she was pretty quick to comment on when people were speculating about her landing 3 axels in practice, saying she admired Mao's 3axel and that if she was doing it in practice she'd try it some time in competition.

But did she do that because some reporter asked her about it, or did she really feel the need to comment about it spontaneously? I see a big difference between those two situations.

bekalc

Record Breaker

But did she do that because some reporter asked her about it, or did she really feel the need to comment about it spontaneously? I see a big difference between those two situations.

I'm not talking about an interview this year, I'm talking about an interview maybe two years ago when they asked her what she envied of Mao's, and she mentioned Mao's triple axel. And went on to say people say I have it in practice, but I don't. If I did, I'd try it in competition.

Basics

On the Ice

Have you not been listening at all? Mao didn't try to do a 3-3 combination at the Olympics because her coach was an idiot about the jump layout of the program. However, in the past, Mao has consistently done Triple-Triple combinations. Yu-Na, on the other hand, has landed the Triple Loop a total of twice in the entire past 5 years! Clearly it's realistic to say Mao can bring the 3-3 back into her performances and Yu-Na will avoid the 3Loop.

There's a big difference between "didn't try" and "couldn't try".

and yes, Mao has consistently tried 3-3 combinations. but it was 2-3yrs ago.

I also think 4T is unlikely for Yuna, but she can surely bring her 3Lo back. She said she consistently lands it in practice so I think it's more possible than Mao doing 3-3. She has to be mentally stronger tho. But when she feels the need, most of time she does it.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Blades of Passion

Huh? Blades the fact that Mao's new jump coach is saying that it will take awhile for Mao to do a 3/3 again, suggests theres a little more to Mao's lack of 3/3 at the Olympics than Tarasova. If I understand Tarasova or at least one of the other coaches was talking about the possibility of replacing one of the 3/3s with a 3axel.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I don't think Mao or Yu-na will be lights out this season as Yu-na ony has the one event and Mao is starting to rework her technique. I think Mao will wind up doing a 3 Axel, 3 Flip-2 Loop, 3 Lutz in the short and maybe only one 3 axel in the Freeskate. Without yu-na she won't really need both triple axels. I hope Mao realizes (and I think she does) that it will take time for her to get a good lutz and get her 3/3 ratified again. 2010-11 probably will not be her season, but the goal in Sochi and she does have nice programs for this year to back up her technica mistakes (if she makes them).

ayayukiituka

On the Ice

She officially said she would try 3Lo as the first jump of the combination and step into 3F,so I think her jump layout's going to be
3Lo-3Lo,3A,st 3F. But she also said she wants to bring 3Lz back next seanon.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

There's a big difference between "didn't try" and "couldn't try".

and yes, Mao has consistently tried 3-3 combinations. but it was 2-3yrs ago.

Incorrect, Mao planned a 3-3 combination in the SP throughout the entire 2008-2009 season (until her very last competition, the World Team Trophy). Most specifically, at the World Championships in 2009 she did a 3Flip-3Loop that received 11.1 points. I was right at the edge of the rink and she had no trouble at all doing that combination.

Huh? Blades the fact that Mao's new jump coach is saying that it will take awhile for Mao to do a 3/3 again, suggests theres a little more to Mao's lack of 3/3 at the Olympics than Tarasova. If I understand Tarasova or at least one of the other coaches was talking about the possibility of replacing one of the 3/3s with a 3axel.

No he hasn't! All he's said is it will take time to correct Mao's technique, ie - the Lutz edge and the amount of height she gets in general. The 3/3 was replaced with a Triple Axel because Mao was trying to make history and they thought setting a new record would give Mao an edge over Yu-Na. But it didn't. Records don't mean anything these days unless it translates into a record amount of points.

She officially said she would try 3Lo as the first jump of the combination and step into 3F,so I think her jump layout's going to be
3Lo-3Lo,3A,st 3F. But she also said she wants to bring 3Lz back next seanon.

Mao (and/or her new coach) is smarter than I thought, then, because that's the perfect jump layout for her Short Program. I didn't think she would try a 3Lo-3Lo combination but I'm glad she is, if that's indeed the case.

Last edited: