Yuna Kim | Page 56 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

brownfox

On the Ice
Re: Yu-Na news

According to the reports, Yuna will also receive an honorary citizenship from the L.A. mayor!!! It's incredible how the city of Hollywood is rolling out its red carpet for the queen of ice!!

Don't exggerate it too much. I'm a Yuna fan, but this one is not a big deal. LoL.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

According to the reports, Yuna will also receive an honorary citizenship from the L.A. mayor!!! It's incredible how the city of Hollywood is rolling out its red carpet for the queen of ice!!

Why? she didn't win the ogm in LA? If this is for her worlds win, its kinda delayed.

janetfan

Match Penalty

^ Hey, I think it's a big deal. I'm not an honarary citizen of Los Angeles.

Mallika Sherawat is, though -- so honored last year.

http://www.bollywoodpicturesonline.com/tb/mallika_sherawat_007.jpg

Mallika = 9 :yes:
Yu-na = 10 :yes::yes:

Mallika only a "9" :unsure:
Seems some have some pretty high standards :biggrin:

I agree that becoming an honorary citizen is quite a big deal.

Here is another fine example of a recent honorary citizen:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/greenville-wyff-15749667/oracle-octopus-named-honorary-citizen-21035300

prettykeys

Medalist

DrunkenIce

Rinkside

Basics

On the Ice
According to an Icenetwork article, she's receiving a "Proud Korean Award" rewarded by the Korean-American population in LA.

She's receiving "honorary citizenship" and "Proud Korean Award", and declaring "Yu-Na Kim Day" all at once. :laugh:

fairly4

Medalist
i think it is a big deal but it should be for only american born citizens not other countries citizens,
yes the american people of that ethnic group has a right to be proud, but they don't have a right to shove it down other ethnic groups and declare mine is better than yours.
it is a slap in the face to all american born athlete and citizens saying , the american born citizens aren't good enough to become honorary citizens of los angeles or whatever city and also at the same time animals becoming citizens making it a laughingstock.
what does it really say about the U.s when citizens make animals honorary citizens, we put animals above people and we put other countries citizens above our own.
how does some american born citizens feel about this. yes some might say it is okay, laugh and be funny , some might be upset and some might be glad and happy.
it just shows that we really don't care about our american born citizens as well as we admit our like, we have to look at other countries or animals to think highly of ourselves.

we should yu-na be signaled out, why night se ri pak, lorena ochoa, annika sorrenson,
shizuka arakawa, katarina witt, sonja henie (she never was)
what about the us born ibes of kristi, michelle,tara, sarah, evan, serena and venus , michale jordan, etc.
i just find it insulting and they are going overboard on exposure etc.

Johnnnn

On the Ice
i think it is a big deal but it should be for only american born citizens not other countries citizens,
yes the american people of that ethnic group has a right to be proud, but they don't have a right to shove it down other ethnic groups and declare mine is better than yours.
it is a slap in the face to all american born athlete and citizens saying , the american born citizens aren't good enough to become honorary citizens of los angeles or whatever city and also at the same time animals becoming citizens making it a laughingstock.
what does it really say about the U.s when citizens make animals honorary citizens, we put animals above people and we put other countries citizens above our own.
how does some american born citizens feel about this. yes some might say it is okay, laugh and be funny , some might be upset and some might be glad and happy.
it just shows that we really don't care about our american born citizens as well as we admit our like, we have to look at other countries or animals to think highly of ourselves.

we should yu-na be signaled out, why night se ri pak, lorena ochoa, annika sorrenson,
what about the us born ibes of kristi, michelle,tara, sarah, evan, serena and venus , michale jordan, etc.

Hmm. Maybe you should do some research on what honorary citizenship is first. It is for non-citizens, and it has nothing to do with ethnic groups or race. I seriously don't know how someone could come up with such a ridiculous argument like yours. Also, for an "American-born citizen" you really suck at English.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice

Yay, it's time for jealous people to come to complain! Totally anticipated!

I'm not going to join an argument about honorary citizenship, but discussion of it caused me to have a history-nerd moment. Of course, honorary citizenship of a city doesn't mean that the person gets any kind of extra rights, so it's merely an accolade that a city can award to express admiration. Isn't it nice that cities have that power? By the way, it isn't just American cities that do this. In 2003, Budapest awarded honorary citizenship to Raoul Wallenberg, an astonishingly brave Swedish diplomat who rescued hundreds of Jews during World War II.

Wallenberg is one of only two people (at least recently) to be given honorary national (U.S.) citizenship, which is a far bigger deal. (The other was Winston Churchill.) At the end of the War, Wallenberg was arrested by Soviets on charges of spying. He was taken into the U.S.S.R. and was never seen or heard from again. Did he die in prison? Was he exiled to Siberia? No one knew. Years afterward, the U.S. granted the honorary citizenship to gain some leverage on Wallenberg's behalf, so that the U.S. State Department could legitimately pursue his case. It's quite a moving story.

I know this seems like a tangent, but thinking of YuNa's warm reception in the U.S. and Canada made me contemplate the idea of people who are in some way citizens of the world. I know that a young skater doesn't seem on the same level as the rescuer of hundreds of desperate people, but I've always felt that athletes (also artists and scientists) play an important role in breaking down boundaries between countries and groups. The more of that we have, the better off we'll be in the future.

Pure speciesism. Lu the hippopotomus is a proud and well-deserving citizen of Orlando, Florida. (I think Mickey Mouse is, too.) Cle Elum, Washington, boasts seven honorary citizens of the Chimpanzee persuation. In an attempt by Spain to wrest Paul the Octopus from a German zoo, Paul was given honorary citizenship by a small town in Spain. (Paul, you will recall, accurately predicted all the results of the recent World Cup football matches, including Spain's victory over the Netherlands in the final.)

Brian "the animal" Orser is an honorary citizen of Seoul, Korea, in recognition of all that he has done to advance sports achievement in that country. Among the perks are free passes to the city's parks!

For $20 YOU can become, along with Superman, an honorary citizen of Metropolis, Illinois. (Kal-el himself, of course, was awarded blanket honorary citizenship in every country in the United Nations.)

On a more serious note, the Delai Lama is an honorary citizen of Paris (although the French authorities are accused of bestowing this honor just to make China mad.)

L

lowtherlore

Career highlights of Dr. Sammy Lee, who along with Yu-Na, will be receiving the "Proud Korean" award by the Korean-American Coalition. It will be special to see these two great olympians together on the same stand later tonight.

- Born in 1920 to a Korean immigrant family, who first came to the US as plantation worker.
- Retired Physician (MD from USC).
- Retired Major, US Army Medical Corps.
- First Asian-American to win an Olympic gold for the US (1948 London, 1952 Helsinki, both in 10m Platform).
- 1948 London Olympic Bronze medalist in 3m Springboard.
- First man to win back-to-back gold medals in Olympic platform diving.
- 1953 James E. Sullivan Award, awarded to the most outstanding US amateur athlete.
- Inducted into the US Olympic Hall of Fame and the Int'l Swimming Hall of Fame.
- The WHOSAM Award given by USA Diving is named after Sammy Lee.
- Served on the President's Council for Physical Fitness during five US presidential administrations.
- Coached US Olympic gold medalists Pat McCormick, Bob Webster, and Greg Louganis.
- Coach of the 1960 US Olympic diving team.
- Coach of the 1964 Japanese and Korean Olympic diving teams.
- It was not until 1948 at the age of 28 that Dr. Lee first competed in the Olympics, since the games were suspended in 1940 and 1944.
- In 1952 London games, Dr. Lee was then the oldest diver to win an Olympic gold.
- Dr. Lee introduced "The Sammy", a small towel used by virtually all divers.

Dr. Lee is 90 and reportedly in good health. It is surprising the Korean-American community waited this long to give him the award. The former recipients were mostly politicians and high-rank government officials.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
Career highlights of Dr. Sammy Lee, who along with Yu-Na, will be receiving the "Proud Korean" award by the Korean-American Coalition. It will be special to see these two great olympians together on the same stand later tonight.

- Born in 1920 to a Korean immigrant family, who first came to the US as plantation worker.
- Retired Physician (MD from USC).
- Retired Major, US Army Medical Corps.
- First Asian-American to win an Olympic gold (1948 London, 1952 Helsinki, both in 10m Platform).
- 1948 London Olympic Bronze medalist in 3m Springboard.
- First man to win back-to-back gold medals in Olympic platform diving.
- 1953 James E. Sullivan Award, awarded to the most outstanding US amateur athlete.
- Inducted into the US Olympic Hall of Fame and the Int'l Swimming Hall of Fame.
- The WHOSAM Award given by USA Diving is named after Sammy Lee.
- Served on the President's Council for Physical Fitness during five US presidential administrations.
- Coached US Olympic gold medalists Pat McCormick, Bob Webster, and Greg Louganis.
- Coach of the 1960 US Olympic diving team.
- Coach of the 1964 Japanese and Korean Olympic diving teams.
- It was not until 1948 at the age of 28 that Dr. Lee first competed in the Olympics, since the games were suspended in 1940 and 1944.
- In 1952 London games, Dr. Lee was then the oldest diver to win an Olympic gold.
- Dr. Lee introduced "The Sammy", a small towel used by virtually all divers.

Dr. Lee is 90 and reportedly in good health. It is surprising the Korean-American community waited this long to give him the award. The former recipients were mostly politicians and high-rank government officials.

Oh my, what an impressive resume! Congratulations to both Dr. Lee and Yuna Kim for this honor!! :)

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Somebody who attended Yu-Na's reception party told that she will host an ice show in LA - Oct. 2nd and 3rd!!! Let's see if this is real!

Last edited:
I didn't realize Dr. Sammy Lee was getting an honorary citizenship too. He's a wonderfully impressive scholar/athlete. Thanks for posting his resume, lowtherlore. As an Olympic history buff (or possibly history geek), I've admired him for a long time. How could I have forgotten that he coached Louganis?

Mathman, thanks for the assorted honorary citizenship info! I'm glad to hear that Paris has so honored the Dalai Lama. And I'd love to be an honorary citizen of Metropolis--I've always been a Superman fan.