Yuna Kim | Page 64 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Associated Press: Olympic figure skating champion Kim Yu-na to train in Los Angeles

With no coach and in search of a new training facility, Kim found an ideal landing spot at the East West Ice Palace, a rink owned and operated by Kwan's family.

Kwan, a nine-time U.S. champion, was surprised to learn that Kim would be training at her facility and even more taken aback when she heard rumours that Kwan and her father would be coaching Kim.

Kwan won't be Kim's next coach but believes Kim will find the right fit soon.

"It's going to be a transition, but she's got a great team with people that she trusts," Kwan said. "I'm sure the final decision will be hers, but it's going to be a time where she'll be making a very big decision."

Found an article on Yuna's move to LA. I think this is part of what they were talking about during the press conference. She has not found a new coach yet and only referred to the split once.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
Is 5'2 vs 5'4 really such a signicant difference? :no:
This is less to do with Michelle/YuNa and more to do with body proportions...but yeah, 5'2" vs. 5'4" is a more noticeable difference from, say, 6'0" to 6'2". The long bones in the legs constitute most of the height difference in the shorter ranges (one's torso can only be so small). The leg bones make up most of the difference at greater heights, too, but as a proportion of total height, they don't have as much of an impact.

Not dissin', just sayin'. I'm 5'2" myself.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
This is less to do with Michelle/YuNa and more to do with body proportions...but yeah, 5'2" vs. 5'4" is a more noticeable difference from, say, 6'0" to 6'2". The long bones in the legs constitute most of the height difference in the shorter ranges (one's torso can only be so small). The leg bones make up most of the difference at greater heights, too, but as a proportion of total height, they don't have as much of an impact.

Not dissin', just sayin'. I'm 5'2" myself.

There are thousands of people who...don't like Yuna...for some reasons...

but...

There are millions of people who...go crazy about Yuna...for obvious reasons.

Yuna is JUST PERFECT EVERYTHING for figure skating.
Face, Body, Style, Expression, Acting, Dancing, Technique and of course...Height.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Face, Body, Style, Expression, Acting, Dancing, Technique and of course...Height.

I agree with everything in this sentence except "Face". Yu Na's eyes are not beautiful. In the sense of Asian beauty, I think Kwan, Arakawa, even Yuka Sato have prettier faces.

prettykeys

Medalist
I get uncomfortable talking or thinking about criteria for "perfection"...but I will agree that YuNa's assets and talents are quite suited for Figure Skating. :)

I agree with everything in this sentence except "Face". Yu Na's eyes are not beautiful. In the sense of Asian beauty, I think Kwan, Arakawa, even Yuka Sato have prettier faces.
I think it depends on who you talk to, or even possibly specific ethnicities. All the ladies you listed have pretty faces, but many would disagree with you about YuNa's eyes; her eyes (bare of makeup or with makeup) are considered beautiful to many Koreans and non-Koreans. Very few Koreans (none that I know) would think Yuka or Akiko's eyes/faces are particularly pretty.

By Korean preferences for Asian beauty, I think YuNa's and Shizuka's faces would be considered to be the most beautiful of the aforementioned. Interestingly enough, many Koreans like Mao Asada's features as well, and between Mao and Mai, as far as I can tell most prefer Mao's face. My mother actually thinks Mao has a somewhat prettier face than YuNa.

On the other hand, it seems that my Chinese friends usually prefer Mai's face to Mao's.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
There are thousands of people who...don't like Yuna...for some reasons...

but...

There are millions of people who...go crazy about Yuna...for obvious reasons.

Which is why I think her height listed may be incorrect. Figure skaters are generally small, so Yuna says she is 164cm when really she may be more like 168 cm. It doesn't mean she's intentionally lying, she just may not have been measured in a few years and has grown since. The fact that she appears to be the same size as Mao doesn't mean much either, as Mao may have also grown recently. It definitely looks like more than 2.5 inches (6 cm) separates Yuna from Michelle.

I get uncomfortable talking or thinking about criteria for "perfection"...but I will agree that YuNa's assets and talents are quite suited for Figure Skating. :)

I think it depends on who you talk to, or even possibly specific ethnicities. All the ladies you listed have pretty faces, but many would disagree with you about YuNa's eyes; her eyes (bare of makeup or with makeup) are considered beautiful to many Koreans and non-Koreans. Very few Koreans (none that I know) would think Yuka or Akiko's eyes/faces are particularly pretty.

By Korean preferences for Asian beauty, I think YuNa's and Shizuka's faces would be considered to be the most beautiful of the aforementioned. Interestingly enough, many Koreans like Mao Asada's features as well, and between Mao and Mai, as far as I can tell most prefer Mao's face. My mother actually thinks Mao has a somewhat prettier face than YuNa.

On the other hand, it seems that my Chinese friends usually prefer Mai's face to Mao's.

I couldn't possibly choose a "most beautiful" from among all these ladies. They're not only beautiful but also individual and full of personality. Besides, by this time I have such affection for them all as skaters that this heightens their appeal to me. That's possibly true for many of the rest of you. For years, when I have seen Yuka's face, I have felt like smiling. She has such sunshine in her expression. Shizuka always seems regal to me. Michelle is of course at the top of all my lists. When she skates, she's a chameleon, becoming glamorous and even commanding as the music requires and then breaking out with that incandescent smile. Akiko is a delight, full of spark.

Mao and YuNa are my two favorite skaters right now, and I'm fairly sure they will remain on my All-Time Greats list. As for looks, I find YuNa more classically beautiful, a bit more restrained and aloof (by the way, add me to the list of non-Asians who think that she has lovely eyes, with or without makeup), while Mao has a more subtle and more expressive face. (I'm not so familiar with Mai.) She's got an actress's face, ready to radiate anything at a moment's notice.

And we've forgotten to include the glamorous Miki in this bunch!

I think that about covers it from my angle. Wish I could draw portraits; I'd love to try my hand at depicting any one of them.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I couldn't possibly choose a "most beautiful" from among all these ladies. They're not only beautiful but also individual and full of personality. Besides, by this time I have such affection for them all as skaters that this heightens their appeal to me. That's possibly true for many of the rest of you. For years, when I have seen Yuka's face, I have felt like smiling. She has such sunshine in her expression. Shizuka always seems regal to me. Michelle is of course at the top of all my lists. When she skates, she's a chameleon, becoming glamorous and even commanding as the music requires and then breaking out with that incandescent smile. Akiko is a delight, full of spark.

Mao and YuNa are my two favorite skaters right now, and I'm fairly sure they will remain on my All-Time Greats list. As for looks, I find YuNa more classically beautiful, a bit more restrained and aloof (by the way, add me to the list of non-Asians who think that she has lovely eyes, with or without makeup), while Mao has a more subtle and more expressive face. (I'm not so familiar with Mai.) She's got an actress's face, ready to radiate anything at a moment's notice.

And we've forgotten to include the glamorous Miki in this bunch!

I think that about covers it from my angle. Wish I could draw portraits; I'd love to try my hand at depicting any one of them.

I couldn't have said it better! I don't get comments in general about skater's looks - unless they are complimentary. :)

Shizuka melts my heart :)laugh:) but I also think Yuna is beautiful. And the other ladies mentioned all have qualities that I could only describe as very attractive.

Geez, it seems a few have set the bar awfully darn high. :rolleye:

I like the line from the old song, "A pretty girl is like a melody."

If that is true then for me our Lady skaters are "like a symphony." :yes:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
this is from last year's exhibition of Miki

Which is why I think her height listed may be incorrect. Figure skaters are generally small, so Yuna says she is 164cm when really she may be more like 168 cm.
no, neither Mao nor Yuna are 1.68 cause this is me and they are little shorter. :) Miki is much shorter. Whats going on with heights in this board:laugh: Fyi, Joubert is more than 1.78 as well (i saw it in another thread), I measured him:biggrin:

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
:laugh: :laugh:

How tall is Shizuka? :eek::

166 cm according to her ISU bio, so like 5'5" and like 1/3, but we know those aren't always accurate (Ashley's height jumped from 159 cm last season to 163 cm this season, and I sort of doubt she grew 4cm at age 19 but who knows...). Shiz was always listed as 5'5" or 5'6" so somewhere in that range probably.

Yuna's probably only a couple cm taller than Miki if you look at this
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=2956659&id=53417067377&ref=fbx_album
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!...d=53417067377&ref=fbx_album&fbid=193705022377

Joshi Helgesson must be an amazon http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!...d=53417067377&ref=fbx_album&fbid=179041362377