Yuna Kim | Page 66 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
We all saw how Yuna cried on the podium at '09 Worlds.
Orser told us that at the GPF in Korea after Mao beat her she cried her eyes out. What is the big deal? She is a champion and she is also human.

I don't think as many would like her if she was the type of souless robot that you seem to be describing.

You're right. I fogot about those instances when she cried.
I'm human too...I made mistakes too.

janetfan

Match Penalty
You're right. I fogot about those instances when she cried.
I'm human too...I made mistakes too.

I think it was Olympia who mentioned earlier that whether Yuna competes or turns Pro skating is lucky to have her.
Let's hope she does what makes her happiest.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
It is also true...Yuna seems to enjoy the shows more than the competitions...that is why I think...
Yuna might decide to stop competitions.

bekalc

Record Breaker
The KEY for Yuna's success is PREPARATION...not preliminary contest like Four Continent.

But competiting in previous competitions is part of good preparation. For example, in this system where levels in footwork, spins etc matter, its a good idea to get your programs out there and checked by the judges.

We all saw how Yuna cried on the podium at '09 Worlds.
Orser told us that at the GPF in Korea after Mao beat her she cried her eyes out. What is the big deal? She is a champion and she is also human.

I actually get the impression that Yu-na was embarrassed by crying on the Worlds podium and at the Olympics too. I frankly remember being shocked that it took her so long to cry after she won Worlds. I get the impression she probably wouldnt' really want Orser telling people she cried when she lost to Mao. I think she wouldn't want her competitors especially to know about a weak moment. I don't think its about heart, (because I don't know why crying would make you have less heart) I get the impression its because the girl is very much a fierce competitor and a fighter.

I must say though I found it touching to see her crying after the Olympics, and also almost heart wretching because it suggested to me that she must have been under incredible amounts of pressure. I get the feeling that she will retire, I don't think she wants to deal with the pressure again. A part of me isn't even sure Yu-na likes competiting. I mean look how she handled Worlds. I think she has to deal with so much expectations etc, that perhaps the fun is even taking out of it. I mean where else does Yu-na really have to go but down?

And I actually agree that Yu-na could frankly give a lot of the skating world even if she doesn't compete again. I'm not sure if she'll ever really "go pro. :lol:" But just in terms of starting up her own touring company. The sport could use another touring company.

Last edited:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
You don't know Yuna yet...Yuna has the STRONGEST HEART among all skaters...
The KEY for Yuna's success is PREPARATION...not preliminary contest like Four Continent.
Yuna loves to SHOW OFF what she prepared for the competitions or shows.
The only time I saw her crying is...after performing the long program flawlessly in Vancouver...which was her lifetime dream.

As long as she is healthy...Yuna is stronger in BIG MATCHes...her concentration is just amazing.

It really depends on her determination whether she'll continue the competition.
Yuna became Jr. Grand Prix, Jr Grand Prix Final, Jr Worlds and Sr. Grand Prix Final champion at her OWN WILL without Brian Orser's help.

If Yuna decides to continue...I have no doubt...Yuna will be the huge favorite all over again.

Watch it, any more and you'll be describing a robot! ;) Haha. I believe Janetfan has already brought that up.

And who says 4CC can't be a preparation? Skaters go to competitions to get feedback from judges as to what they should or shouldn't change, what they should work on, etc. Therefore, competitions before Worlds/Olympics = Prepping time! (But you have a chance to get medals at these prepping times.)

And who said anything about Brian Orser? o_O

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
But competiting in previous competitions is part of good preparation. For example, in this system where levels in footwork, spins etc matter, its a good idea to get your programs out there and checked by the judges.

I actually get the impression that Yu-na was embarrassed by crying on the Worlds podium and at the Olympics too. I frankly remember being shocked that it took her so long to cry after she won Worlds. I get the impression she probably wouldnt' really want Orser telling people she cried when she lost to Mao. I think she wouldn't want her competitors especially to know about a weak moment. I don't think its about heart, (because I don't know why crying would make you have less heart) I get the impression its because the girl is very much a fierce competitor and a fighter.

I must say though I found it touching to see her crying after the Olympics, and also almost heart wretching because it suggested to me that she must have been under incredible amounts of pressure. I get the feeling that she will retire, I don't think she wants to deal with the pressure again. A part of me isn't even sure Yu-na likes competiting. I mean look how she handled Worlds. I think she has to deal with so much expectations etc, that perhaps the fun is even taking out of it. I mean where else does Yu-na really have to go but down?

And I actually agree that Yu-na could frankly give a lot of the skating world even if she doesn't compete again. I'm not sure if she'll ever really "go pro. :lol:" But just in terms of starting up her own touring company. The sport could use another touring company.

You made sense again. Yuna surely is a fierce competitor.
I really enjoy her skating...in competitions...became my serious hobby.

and...

I know Yuna enjoys the victory more than the show...but...just too much pressure for a young girl...I guess.

parma

On the Ice
Yuna's side confirmed today that she and her team are down to 2 or 3 coaching candidates now and will announce her new coach in early October, right after the LA show.

brownfox

On the Ice
Unless they named names, that's really not much "news".

I don't think it's appropriate to name names anyway in my own opinion, especially they are not sure yet who is the right coach. But it's good news I think regarding Yuna's competitiveness.

It also says in the report that Yuna will enter into a contract with a new coach. I guess her team realized that's the correct thing to do.

And her SP hasn't even decided yet also with her new choreographer. I guess it didn't push through with Shae Lynn Bourne? :confused:

Last edited:

parma

On the Ice
To think back, none of talk that Shae-Lynn was working on Yuna's SP has come from Yuna's side. Orser dropped it when he gave away her LP music to the press. He said Bourne and Yuna would be working on it over the Labor Day weekend, but didn't she have other commitments during that time, such as an ice show? He might have given false information for whatever reason.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
To think back, none of talk that Shae-Lynn was working on Yuna's SP has come from Yuna's side. Orser dropped it when he gave away her LP music to the press. He said Bourne and Yuna would be working on it over the Labor Day weekend, but didn't she have other commitments during that time, such as an ice show? He might have given false information for whatever reason.

Brian mentioned that he learned about Shae doing the SP from the internet and said the same thing about Yuna not competing in the GP this season. He mentioned this before he ever talked about Yuna's LP music.....

brownfox

On the Ice
They asked Shae to choreograph her SP but it wasn't final yet.

By the way according to the news, team Yuna is looking for a full time coach.

Anyway, Yuna's 20/20 Q and A:

http://www.yunakim.com/eng/profile/questions.do?sessionid=1284457520046

18. Which competition that you performed satisfied?

2009 Trophée Eric Bompard
2009 World Championship
2010 Vancouver Olympic
2010 World Championship (this is not a lie! Hhhhhhh)

19. Like & Dislike nickname you have?

Like : 2010 Vancouver Olympic Champion! (It’s not a nickname but I like this one)
Dislike : Figure skating fairy

:laugh:

Last edited:

breeze

Rinkside
I guess we will just have to wait until Yuna says something about the program herself.
It's Yuna who said that she'll skip the GP, but she didn't say anything about who the choreographer is, IIRC. (I didn't read many news articles about this, so please correct me if I'm wrong.) Maybe a reporter released an unconfirmed story and everybody including Brian believed it.

But I think that Shae must have been the reason Yuna was at Granite Club. Why else would she spend a few days there right before moving to LA? And I do hope Shae actually is the choreographer because I was expecting a lot from a Tango/Flamenco program choreographed by Shae and performed by Yuna!

ETA: Oh, I didn't see your post before I wrote mine, Fox. So Yuna probably went to Granite to ASK Shae to do her SP.
I'm getting a little confused about the news though. What is the definition of a full-time coach? Brian was not? :confused:

Last edited:

parma

On the Ice
I guess we will just have to wait until Yuna says something about the program herself.
It's Yuna who said that she'll skip the GP, but she didn't say anything about who the choreographer is, IIRC. (I didn't read many news articles about this, so please correct me if I'm wrong.) Maybe a reporter released an unconfirmed story and everybody including Brian believed it.

But I think that Shae must have been the reason Yuna was at Granite Club. Why else would she spend a few days there right before moving to LA? And I do hope Shae actually is the choreographer because I was expecting a lot from a Tango/Flamenco program choreographed by Shae and performed by Yuna!

ETA: Oh, I didn't see your post before I wrote mine, Fox. So Yuna probably went to Granite to ASK Shae to do her SP.
I'm getting a little confused about the news though. What is the definition of a full-time coach? Brian was not? :confused:

There are thousand different possibilities. Maybe Yuna already got her SP from Shae but her side decided to keep the program/choreographer information all together to themselves and asked Shae for her consents. Maybe she just went to Granite club for close proximity and good facility. While there were witness accounts of seeing Yuna training there, there was no report of her having been seen with Shae together over the week working on a new program. etc, etc. Like you said, I will just wait until Yuna says about her SP AND LP programs in her own words.

Last edited:

brownfox

On the Ice