Page 67 of 207 FirstFirst ... 17 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 117 167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 3091

Thread: Yu-Na Kim

Custom Title

Re: Yu-Na news

Quote Originally Posted by sillylionlove View Post
    I am going to be a total pessimist here and say that I don't expect to see Yuna completing at the world championships this year.
    I say it's fifty/fifty. Otherwise, there's no reason for her to stay in Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by GoPC2018 View Post
    Otherwise, there's no reason for her to stay in Toronto.
    You mean besides leading a somewhat normal life?

Custom Title

Yuna said during the All That Skate Summer 2010 press conference today the reason why she's skipping the GP series is because in previous seasons, by this time, she was already training and working on new programs. But, this time, she has not worked on any new programs, so they felt that extra time and preparation by skipping GP series would be beneficial, so Yuna can be at her best and at the same time she needs more rest.

Sounds like Yuna is competitive again.

Down With It

Quote Originally Posted by brownfox View Post
    Sounds like Yuna is competitive again.
    We shall see...

Anyway I think she's giving the 2nd reason. I speculate that the 1st reason is that she has lost some motivation (otherwise she would be getting ready right now).

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    We shall see...

Anyway I think she's giving the 2nd reason. I speculate that the 1st reason is that she has lost some motivation (otherwise she would be getting ready right now).
    Yeah, who knows. 7 months is looonnnnggg.

"What would it hurt to miss 1 season?"

The alternative, by missing one season fully, is that YuNa could:

...end up competitively rusty by the next season (no, shows are not good substitutes for this. Rustiness is not just about the muscle memory, but also being accustomed to competitive pressure.)
    ...lose too much momentum and favour from judges. You want to keep them refreshed in their memories about how good you are, if you're one of the top skaters.

Also, thanks to sorcerer's thoughtful posts on this subject--YuNa probably wants to keep 2 spots for S. Korea, and ayayu's post is true in that YuNa isn't technically obligated to state so early on that she will commit to skating at World's, but I suspect these announcements are also to not disappoint her team and fans.

Lastly, perhaps YuNa wants more World's medals.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    We shall see...

When YuNa is stating she "needs more rest", it's inherent (to me at least) that she's including mental rest, i.e. with regards to motivation. Perhaps it's your lack of Korean language sense, but "shyuh ya dweh" can mean "I need rest" or "I need a break." So no, I don't believe she is slyly sidestepping the issue in her interviews. At the same time, I have an inkling that brownfox is also right: the fact that she is planning things this way may actually reflect a persisting competitive attitude. If she weren't looking at it from a longer-term perspective, then I would be more suspicious that she wasn't planning on skating for much longer and would prefer to give the next season a throwaway try with a shrug of the shoulders.

In addition, YuNa has been busy enough to not have decided on and started training new programs for this fall so far, and if she had been serious about doing the Grand Prix, she would have only gotten the equivalent of a college summer break after winning the Olympics (4 months officially off, about 3 months needed for dedicated training.) The only difference is that college students are kids who haven't yet graduated and want to get a move on to the next pre-determined thing. I'd say YuNa is more like a fresh grad who wants to figure out what she wants to do next. So, YuNa opted to take 6-7 months off rather than 4 months--good for her. It is NOT long, at all. My 4-month summers end far too quickly.

Yu-Na rocks!

Shyuh ya dweh.

Like i said before,she's done and won't get any better,plus she knows she didn't do well and got over scored at worlds herself,and with the new rules she's too nervous to fail,that says enough.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Worlds is in Japan this year and the new SP rule about the Axel jump specifically benefits Mao Asada. I think Yu-Na going to Worlds will depend on how Mao performs throughout the season. If Mao's 3Axel is inconsistent, then Yu-Na may show up. Otherwise, I think Yu-Na will skip Worlds and then either start training a 3Axel of her own for the 2011-2012 season or stop competing altogether (while keeping her options open for later seasons, if she sees no competitors with a good 3Axel).
    Last edited by Blades of Passion; 07-24-2010 at 01:49 AM.

As for Mao i am laughing after seeing her landing with two feet and shaky landings etc,unbelievable,no,the new rules won't benefit if you cheat like that.

Custom Title

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Worlds is in Japan this year and the new SP rule about the Axel jump specifically benefits Mao Asada. I think Yu-Na going to Worlds will depend on how Mao performs throughout the season. If Mao's 3Axel is inconsistent, then Yu-Na may show up. Otherwise, I think Yu-Na will skip Worlds and then either start training a 3Axel of her own for the 2011-2012 season or stop competing altogether (while keeping her options open for later seasons, if she sees no competitors with a good 3Axel).
    I strongly disagree; if Yuna was that conscious of Mao she would have at least tried the 3A by now, but fact of the matter is, since her senior debut Yuna has rarely batted an eyelid (at least publicly) at all the rivalry hype and triple-axel-hoohah. I don't think she'll will ever try the axel; Orser mentioned after the Olympics that he wanted Yuna to try the 3A, but it seemed that she never really warmed to the idea, and in any case training for the 3A after watching Mao's performance in the GP series is going to be too late.

Custom Title

But isn't it also a new rule that skaters can't do as many double axels in the free skate? And that triple axels are worth more and double axels worth less?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmelanie View Post
    I strongly disagree; if Yuna was that conscious of Mao she would have at least tried the 3A by now, but fact of the matter is, since her senior debut Yuna has rarely batted an eyelid (at least publicly) at all the rivalry hype and triple-axel-hoohah. I don't think she'll will ever try the axel; Orser mentioned after the Olympics that he wanted Yuna to try the 3A, but it seemed that she never really warmed to the idea
    You don't seem to understand the rules for the new season.

Mao can put the Triple Axel in the SP without having to do it in combination, which means she can still do a 3-3 combination. And the Triple Axel is now worth 8.5 compared to 3.3 for a Double Axel. That's a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bmelanie View Post
    and in any case training for the 3A after watching Mao's performance in the GP series is going to be too late.
    What I said is Yu-Na will skip Worlds if Mao is putting up huge numbers during the Grand Prix and focus on training the Triple Axel for the next season. That way she will have plenty of time to get it as consistent as possible.

Although, I have big doubts about Yu-Na doing the Triple Axel. Orser will surely provide her with plenty of motivation and great technique, but I really don't think Yu-Na has the talent for that specific jump. Her jumping strength is in toe-pick jumps.

The other scenario is that Yu-Na will continue to compete and not train the Triple Axel. However, if that's the case (and if Mao is skating at the technical level she did back in 2007 and 2008), she will have to hope for mistakes from Mao to defeat her. Let's not forget that Yu-Na has only placed over Mao at Worlds once. The reason Yu-Na became so dominant, aside from her excellence of course, is because Mao was completely mishandled by her coach and was given programs that were poor not only artistically but also in terms of the jump layouts for gaining points.

I don't think Mao is going to make that mistake again. She can get way more points than Yu-Na in the jumps if she does the correct layouts and Yu-Na's PCS won't be much higher than Mao's anymore considering Mao will actually skate nice programs again.

I do hope Yu-Na keeps competing, though, because the Yu-Na vs. Mao rivalry is an epic one and Tatiana Tarasova ruined it with her awful coaching of Mao. They are two of the most talented skaters ever and they have totally different styles in both their artistry (extroverted vs. introverted) and their technique.

Custom Title

Mao also has problems with URs though, and last I heard she still doesn't have a true lutz. Further, as we've seen in men's competition, the men who do 4t-3t as their combination in the SP which is worth about 4+ points more than the men who do 3lz-3t or 3f-3t, don't seem to really have that big of an advantage in points. If the skater who does the 3-3 is good enough, he'll get the same score if not higher than the skater who does the 4-3, and this is assuming they all are clean (Worlds 2010 as an example). So the same thing might happen with the 3a, even though it's worth 5 more points than a 2a, it's likely Yuna will be able to make up for those 5 points and potentially more, elsewhere in her program. Further, if Mao goes for 3f-3lo she'll likely get it downgraded from time to time, so then it's only worth 70% of it's initial value, and the same could happen with the 3a. If she gets both downgraded, and gets dinged for her flutz, then a clean Yuna would probably still beat her by a substantial margin.

Page 67 of 207 FirstFirst ... 17 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 117 167 ... LastLast