Yuna Kim | Page 84 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Not a news but have you seen this?
A clip from Jr.Worlds EX Gala Finale, Mar 11, 2006.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7J-OTAkPKY&feature=player_embedded#!

Yuna was the champion. The more willowy version of THE olympic champion. Her movement is natural, musical and spins are fast.
Kozuka was gold? Anyway, he is SO cute. This young Kozuka makes me laugh.
O, Meryl/Charlie and Tessa/Scott are here. Scott is playful.

The Japanese commentators are saying, "Exciting to see how much the junior skaters will succeed though all these young ones will not be very successful ... some skaters bloom very early and some later. Let's wait and see." Indeed.:agree:

I still can't believe a future figure skating champion was born and grew in a country like Korea.:yes: But come to think of it, few people have thought that Korea would have long track speed skating champions (not short track!) like this trio.

http://news.naver.com/sports/index....&mod=read&office_id=311&article_id=0000046628

Lee Seunhoon, Lee Sanghwa and Mo Taebum (all of them are gold medalists at Vancouver) exchanged mails with Yuna, encouraging each other.

Can't wait to watch this; thanks so much! And like you, I can't believe such a skating dynamo was born and raised in a country with almost no figure skating tradition or facilities. It just goes to show that you can't make assumptions based on what is known. There are always surprises...and isn't that a wonderful thing? There's an old saying: Man builds an altar so the fire from heaven can land somewhere else. Here's an example!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Not a news but have you seen this?
A clip from Jr.Worlds EX Gala Finale, Mar 11, 2006.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7J-OTAkPKY&feature=player_embedded#!

Yuna was the champion. The more willowy version of THE olympic champion. Her movement is natural, musical and spins are fast.
Kozuka was gold? Anyway, he is SO cute. This young Kozuka makes me laugh.
O, Meryl/Charlie and Tessa/Scott are here. Scott is playful.

Thank you so much for the clip. This is seriously cute and some of these 'moves' are just laugh out loud worthy. It reminded me of my 1st year High School discos, where everything just feel a little bit awkward because frankly most don't have a clue on what they are doing. You can also clearly tell who's really got rhythm, and who just got muscle.

Typically - the girls are way into it than the guys, while the guys just stand around trying out some seriously *face palm* moves lol....

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Shall I share your views with them? :biggrin:

http://multianq.uic.to/mesganq.cgi?room=sktsk10

Tanith, Kiira and Tessa is 11th, 13th and 16th respectively....

They might not like western beauties...:)

Needless to say, Yuna is always dominant for almost anything.:laugh:

LoL That list is interesting! Tonya Harding (I'm assuming--when she was a competitive skater?) is ahead of Michelle Kwan.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
And Miki Ando are given two spots: #3 for now and #21 for her earlier version!

eta I hesitate to correct the "are" in that sentence because obviously we are looking at two Mikis here.

Last edited:

csunny7

Rinkside
Shall I share your views with them? :biggrin:

http://multianq.uic.to/mesganq.cgi?room=sktsk10

Tanith, Kiira and Tessa is 11th, 13th and 16th respectively....

They might not like western beauties...:)

Needless to say, Yuna is always dominant for almost anything.:laugh:

Yuna seems dominant in another Sports Beauty Top 10.:biggrin: (credit to YNKF)
http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2010-12-25/08325380977.shtml
1. Yuna Kim
2. Pan Xiaoting
3. Maria Sharapova
4. Allison Stokke
5. Kristi Leskinen
6. Danica Patrick
7. Caroline Wozniacki
8. Tanith Belbin
9. Lindsay Vaughan
10. Natalie Gulbis

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Review of watching Giselle - Ballet in Two acts from The Royal Ballet Company London

OK, this is not really Yuna news, but it sort of to do with her Giselle SP in the upcoming WC. I hope this is the right place to post, otherwise Admin, please feel free to move it else where.

It is basically my review of watching Giselle - Ballet in Two acts from The Royal Ballet at Royal Opera House London 19th Jan 2011.

------------------------------------

Let me start by saying I am no expert of ballet, but I do understand how some skating fan purist have an affinity towards the Ballet form, and it is certainly gorgeous when it is done right. But I have always felt it is somewhat of an elitist attitude and old school way of thinking.

Skating is skating, ballet is ballet, it is alluding all writers should learn Latin, and all artists should study the renaissance arts, which is all useful and academic, but it is not entirely true.

I did take Ballet for about 3 years when i was 6 - 9 before distracted by folk dancing towards the end and then give up to concentrate on music. I have seen various versions of Swan lake about 3 times, Nut cracker once during my life time, and that is about it. I do have a friend who's a ballet geek and had been raving about Rupert Pennefather for years (Prince Albrecht in this production), so I finally given in and went to watch it with her.

This is my first Giselle, and I watched it because of Yuna.

How do I summarise Giselle in a nut shell for this forum? This is the 16 episodes Korean Drama condensed in 2 hours with 1 long commercial break.

Let's see: a young innocent sweet naive poor girl, fall in love with a rich Prince disguised as an ordinary man destined for something else; social class divide them, disapproved parents, betrayal, unrequited love leads to broken heart, tragedy ensues, someone dies, he misses her, drama ensues, wicked witch/drama queen keeps them apart, she forgives him, consolation, transcendence, love never dies even the soul has left the body, the end.

If Yuna grew up watching a lot of Korean dramas, this is a piece of cake where the emotional connection is concerned. I am actually not worried about that, because something about Korean culture tends have a whiff of tragedy and melancholy about them. Korea is a small country who's people had survived many wars and repressions throughout the centuries, they sort of celebrate it, remembrance, it is in their blood. It really come across in the song Arirang for example.

It might be more correct to say the reason Giselle is revered as the most influential and prominent of all classical Romantic ballet is because it inherited the classical tragic love story structure similar to all the great classics like Romeo or Juliet, or the Chinese love story Butterfly Lovers (Tang Dynasty legend 6th -10th century) - one that is universal and that had been ripped off times and times again in all forms of storytelling thereafter, whatever culture, whatever language, or nationality.

The role of Giselle was played by Miranela Nunez, an Argentinean Prima ballerina. I have never heard about her before (I would have if I am into seriously into Ballet) because she was simply wonderful. Initially I wasn't so taken with her young sweet innocent girl image, and thought she look too old for the role, but her dancing and expressions soon won me over. I am not sure if it is her latin spirit that shown through, but there's something wild and free in her expressions which I would not naturally associate with Ballet, it makes her riveting to watch. Some of her postures in mid flight are like classical paintings or photographs that is just mind blowing and you unconsciously freezes in your mind (not unlike figure skating actually). It is not possible to replicate, it is within the dancer herself and may be that is what separate her and the rest of the pack. It is that 'je ne sais quoi'.

In this regard, that reminded a lot about some of Yuna's signature programs and how her Giselle might be like. I am just happy she wouldn't feel she'd have to conform to any standards and make it into her own just like Miranela does with her Giselle.

As much as one can train hard, perfecting their techniques, it is what they bring to the stage on the day counts. Something that is not reigned, free, unique, entirely their own. That spoke truth to the characters and authentic to the unique vision of the artist sees the world. Primas should not be conformist and it is their unique allusion that makes it special such rather than a academic studied interpretation.

Actually I am really happy I went to see Giselle. All the supporting dancers were truly excellent, including my friend's favourite Rupert - the prince, who could be an one note tragic hero, but he made his prince Albrecht sympathetic and very romantic, so even what he did was wrong, you really do forgive him. Another dancer that really stood out for me is YuHui Choe, an Asian ballerina who was the stand out during the Pas de six and also played Myrtha's attendant. I couldn't take my eyes off her, amazing flexibility and forms, light, soft and serene, and certainly I think one to watch for in the future. When I read her name I actually though she might be Korean or even Chinese, but turns out she was born in Japan that would make her Japanese. Whatever the nationality or background, she was certainly a highlight for me.

[Correction: Did a bit of research, turns out YuHui Choe is indeed Korean by origin, and her mother is a traditional (folk) dancer.]

----------------------

Upon reflection. I think David is really smart (even a bit sneaky) to pick Giselle. There are certain real life aspects of what Yuna has gone through during her career and personal life, that matured her in recent years, which she can withdrew to interpret Giselle well. Any time earlier, it might not be right or ready.

Act 1 is the young wild free sweet peasant girl, celebrated, loved, betrayed, faltered. Act 2 is the rising transcending spirit who has been done wrong, learnt to forgive, reconcile, bid farewell, moving and transcending to the beyond. It is a lot to bring into a short program, and it would be very challenging to say the least, but I expect may be the short program can include the highlight of act 1 when Giselle doing Queen of Vintage dance, then the death scene, and then possibly a dance to the death with Albrecht as a wili, ended at the grave scene? I am not sure how it is going to fit to 2min 40 sec program. It'd almost seems impossible.

Oh my gosh... talk about answering your critics, and attempting to knock elitism squarely in the jaw. I sincerely hope she wouldn't miss. One thing about Korean Ladies, they are really good with precision sports (archery for example), so I am hopeful (but fingers crossed still).

Last edited:
Os168, thanks so much for the review. Your insights on the connection between Giselle and Korean cultural tradition is fascinating. I love the idea that the storyline of Giselle would not be much of a leap (pun intended!) for YuNa. Your comment makes me even more eager to see YuNa's program.

I have to say, I'm so thrilled that skating today has several competitors, YuNa and Mao among them, who are so prodigiously gifted that their choreographers can give them more to skate than just a checklist of elements. The programs skated by such people are memorable artistic events. We see these programs and are uplifted; we remember them for years afterward and are inspired. Certainly Michelle Kwan was such a skater; Torvill and Dean were such skaters also. They don't come along every season, and we are fortunate that we have some now.

This is going to be some heck of a Worlds Championship!

EricRohmer

On the Ice
excerpt from yesterday's article in Icenetwork.. :biggrin:

Brynn Carman and A.J. Reiss, who train in Artesia, Calif., under Peter Oppegard and Karen Kwan-Oppegard, are fourth with 45.26.

In Artesia, they share the ice with Olympic champion Yu-Na Kim, who serves as a daily inspiration.

"She's such an exquisite skater," Carman, 16, said. "Just watching her skate gives me chills. She works with our coaches, too."

"Off ice, she is just the most humble girl you could ever meet. She's very sweet."

Last edited:

Lilith11

On the Ice
Yu-na's first interview in a long time! I think.... since the end of last season? :3

Yuna Interview - January 27, 2011

Dong-A News

-------------- ----------------
'Return of the Queen'

Kim Yu-Na, who is training at East West Palace Ice Rink in Los Angeles to prepare for next month's World Championship in Tokyo, conducted an interview with the media for the first time this year, and talked about her new programs and training.

Q: How is your preparation for the World Championship going? Are the programs complete?

YNK: I have been slowly raising my condition through physical training and refining my new programs. There is still sufficient time, so I expect to be completely ready.

Q: It will be your first international competition in a while, and some have voiced concerns over how you will adjust to actual competition. What have you focused on the most in your training?

YNK: I have been focusing on physical training and perfecting the programs. As for not being in actual competition, I feel the same level of nervousness doing ice shows, as I have to perform in front of big crowds. So in terms of being in the competition mode, I am not too worried. Hopefully the result will be good as long as I prepare my best.

Q: Tell us about your daily routine.

YNK: I go to the ice rink in the morning, and after warm-up, have training sessions on ice. After skating, I spend about two hours doing physical training. In the afternoon, I have massage and physical therapy. For the rest of day, I take rest. I also study English three times a week.

Q: How are you getting along with Peter Oppegard? In what specific ways has he helped you?

YNK: It's been over 3 months since I began training with Coach Oppegard. We get along very well, and because there are many peer skaters training together, the atmosphere is very good. Coach Oppegard's training style is very rigorous, but at the same time, he makes great effort to compliment you to help your self-confidence. He conducts very demanding practice sessions, but also never ceases to encourage the skaters. Training can be hard sometimes, but overall, we have a lot of fun with other skaters.

Q: How about your relationship with David Wilson?

YNK: I can't see David as often as in the past, but we chat frequently over telephone and e-mail.

Q: Your free skating program is "Homage to Korea". Tell us about how this selection was made and what is your impression after actually performing it?

YNK: "Homage to Korea" is a compilation of traditional Korean music. The music is Korean, but the artistry is modern, and the difficulty lies in applying it to skating. Rather than performing certain acts that feel Korean, I am focusing on expressing my emotions to the audience.

Q: How was Giselle selected as your short program? Was there any particular episode that led to this?

YNK: No special episode. David Wilson told me that he had this bright idea, and I listened to the music. When I heard it, I liked it so much, I instantly made the decision. I want to express the diverse lines of emotion contained in the music.

Q: Can you tell us more about the components for your short and long programs?

YNK: Technically, there is no big difference from last season. I am focusing on portraying the characters in the programs.

Q: What meaning does this year's World Championship have for you?

YNK: Since I have achieved all that I want to achieve as an athlete, I am not concerned about the result. I am just nervous and excited about performing new programs before the fans. I just hope I can interact well with the audience by portraying the characters well. "Homage to Korea" is very special to me, as it embodies my gratitude to Korean fans who have supported me up to now. I hope many people will like it.

Q: How often do you meet with Michelle Kwan, and receive advice?

YNK: Michelle is studying in Boston, so I don't get to see her often. She comes back to Los Angeles during holidays such as Thanksgiving and Christmas, and when she does, we meet and chat about daily lives, and also skate together.

Q: Did you see Asada Mao's performances this season? What do you think about her sub-par season?

YNK: Post-olympic season is always psychologically difficult for skaters. I think all skaters are going through such time right now.

Q: What is you plan after the World Championship?

YNK: I am just focusing on the World Championship at the moment. Afterwards, I will do an ice show in Korea.

Q: Lot of junior skaters are improving. Is there any particular junior skater that has caught your eyes, and if so, why?

YNK: I have my eyes on Haejin Kim. Despite being young, she is technically very strong. I saw her recent performance through the internet, and her body expressions are very good. I think she is a talented skater who possess both strong technical and artistic abilities.

Q: Where will you be 10 years from now?

YNK: I will be still skating.

Credit: SquallB@YKF

Classy as always. Especially that one question on Mao (still side-eying the reporter for obviously trying to stir up something... T_T).

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Thanks Lilith11--nice to hear from Yu-Na after a while. Its great that she seems to be really fitting in perfectly with the atmosphere of her new training situation. Sometimes it seems like one can sense the awkwardness of coach-switching from a skater, but I really don't get this from Yu-Na, she seems to be thriving. I am soooooo excited to see her programs "artistically"....she's building up a lot of hype about emoting to the audience, and I really want to see the whole "big deal" :D

Lilith11

On the Ice
Thanks Lilith11--nice to hear from Yu-Na after a while. Its great that she seems to be really fitting in perfectly with the atmosphere of her new training situation. Sometimes it seems like one can sense the awkwardness of coach-switching from a skater, but I really don't get this from Yu-Na, she seems to be thriving. I am soooooo excited to see her programs "artistically"....she's building up a lot of hype about emoting to the audience, and I really want to see the whole "big deal" :D

Same here! I'm eagerly looking forward to both programs for different reasons; in Giselle, I want to see if she'll point that toe/turn out that foot and for Arirang, I want to be moved to tears. And I'm wondering what the technical layout of her programs now especially considering the new rules. Oh anticipation! When shall March come?!