Yuna Kim | Page 85 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Right. Yuna has always made it clear that she will continue to be involved in the sport of figure skating, although she has seemingly limitless options in Korea. Figure skating is her passion. It's her way of life.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I honestly hope Yuna Kim not only competes at Worlds, but all the way up to Sochi in 2014. She's so far ahead of all the other girls in the world (verified by her record that won't be touched for a long time) that I think she can afford not to do any GPs (ala Michelle Kwan), skip her Nationals for obvious reasons, though it might be good to use it as a runthrough of whatever new program that she has that year, and only compete at Worlds once a year (or 4CC as a run up to Worlds to get her new programs out there). As long as she maintains her skating skills, including big beautiful 3/3 combos., she can't be touched. She's a natural when it comes to the PCS, she doesn't have to work at it, ala Oksana Baiul.

Save on her body by doing only Worlds once a year (with a Nationals or 4CC skate thrown in for good measure, to get her programs out there). If she keeps this up I'd love to see her become at least a 2-time Olympic Gold Medalist to match Katarina Witt's record. Her once-in-a-lifetime talent is too good to be relegated to shows, et al. I would love for her to stay eligible, so all the other girls get a chance to skate against her, learn from it, and remember decades later that they skated against the greatest of them all in the 21st century. Jmho.

Btw, I'm looking forward to her Giselle program, but I hope in the future she skates to the "Black Swan"; she is the Black Swan.

I agree that her talent comes along maybe once in a lifetime, and it would be great if she could stick around for awhile so we can see as much of it as possible. Even people who root for another skater should realize that what they're seeing in YuNa isn't showing up again anytime soon. And just imagine: at her age, she could even get better!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Olympia, that's why I'm thrilled Yuna hasn't retired too. I just want to see her skating forever. Her new programs sound so intriguing. It'll be amazing if she performs them perfectly at the world championships, her first time out with them. Then again, that's pretty much exactly what she did at TEB last year.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Again, only a prime Mao Asada has any chance to challenge Kim.

Kim is not invincible, though. We've seen that she can occasionally come apart in the FS. But the judges love to give her scores near 80 for her SP. that's where she's most dangerous.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Again, only a prime Mao Asada has any chance to challenge Kim.

Kim is not invincible, though. We've seen that she can occasionally come apart in the FS. But the judges love to give her scores near 80 for her SP. that's where she's most dangerous.

Yeah, but Kim is a bit of a wild card this year as no one has seen her. Not that I don't think she's capable of blowing away the competition as usual but it'll be interesting. Having worlds be you first competition will be a huge challenge even for Kim.

Nadine

Record Breaker
She's phenomenal, she's the only one who could take the GP off, Nationals, et al, and come back and win.

And the judges love her for a reason, she's the best there's ever been, she truly has it all. The only way for her not to win is for her to make a mistake, so she's her own worst enemy. But after seeing how she rose to the occasion at the Olympics, this woman could do anything.

I'm a fan, even though she may not be one of my all-time favorites, I'm a fan. And I look forward to the best female skater in the history of the modern era coming back at Worlds!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YUNA KIM, THE TRUE QUEEN!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
She's phenomenal, she's the only one who could take the GP off, Nationals, et al, and come back and win.

And the judges love her for a reason, she's the best there's ever been, she truly has it all. The only way for her not to win is for her to make a mistake, so she's her own worst enemy. But after seeing how she rose to the occasion at the Olympics, this woman could do anything.

I'm a fan, even though she may not be one of my all-time favorites, I'm a fan. And I look forward to the best female skater in the history of the modern era coming back at Worlds!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO YUNA KIM, THE TRUE QUEEN!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

She couldn't do a triple loop. :p And she ain't the best that's ever been. We'll only know that looking backwards, once she gets some more mileage on her. IMO, her career hasn't been long enough to make extreme statements like this.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
She couldn't do a triple loop. :p And she ain't the best that's ever been. We'll only know that looking backwards, once she gets some more mileage on her. IMO, her career hasn't been long enough to make extreme statements like this.

I think you are quite wrong.

'Couldn't' do a triple loop and 'don't need' to do one are quite different things.

Yuna did not put in a 3loop during the Olympic season to ensure she has better consistency and minimise chances of making mistakes. While it might be known as her weaker jump, Yuna has successfully done triple loops before in competition, like her beautiful 3loop for Miss Saigon in '08 where even Tat exclaimed what a beautiful loop that was in the Russian broadcasting.

No skater doesn't have weakness, they are only human. IMHO it is height of brilliance that should count the most towards a memorable legacy, it is BOTH an art and a sport after all, where even just about one performance at the right time can make the difference. Length of time may be part of measurement but hardly the ONLY measurement when assessing one's legacy.

Particularly today's COP is far more demanding on the athelet's body than ever before, and this may translate into shorter career life span than it had been.

Last edited:

sunny0760

On the Ice
Particularly today's COP is far more demanding on the athelet's body than ever before, and this may translate into shorter career life span than it had been.

Agree with you os168. This last sentence is even more heart breaking because I read this today. From a 27 year old skater!
http://www.boston.com/yourtown/watertown/articles/2011/01/31/a_world_of_surprises/
“I have the X-rays of an 80-year-old man,’’ Bradley said.

These skaters are athletes who work so hard with high cost in every sense and usually make less money than the athletes in other sports do. Long live this highly dangerous, demanding, dirty, political and beautiful sports!
I think Yuna already has had quite a long, splendid career which will be long remembered even if she is never to come back to the competition from now on. Selfish me wants to see her bring 3 loop back to her program and have a bit more (slightly) pointed toe because I am sick of hearing those oexcessive, constant criticism by her naysayers. However, how long she will compete depends soley on her decision. She could do anything that she wants to do and I hope whatever decision it is, she will lead a happy and healthy life.

Well, according to news articles, she is expected to participate in activities to vie for the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics after Worlds in March. Again, she could do anything.

Last edited:

sunny0760

On the Ice
Yuna sang this new commercial song and the song is a big hit here in Korea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNIjmx70bM&feature=rec-LGOUT-real_rn-2r-27-HM

People are remaking the vid with changed lyrics.
http://cafe.naver.com/dongeurami.cafe?iframe_url=/ArticleRead.nhn?articleid=62838

There are many things to worry about... study, job, cold, bad weather... something like that, but don't worry, be smart... Even if I am clumsy, I don't worry like Yuna...

http://serviceapi.nmv.naver.com/fla...dd4ad1327842951ca4aba5c9d80290a6dd4ad13278429

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol, I thought she had won an Academy Award, but then realized that hasn't taken place yet. :D

Btw, that's the first time I've ever seen her sing, she has a nice voice. :)

And the light baby blue dress she's wearing makes me wonder if that's the color of dress she will wear for Gisele? I wish she were competing at 4CC so we could see what her program & costume look like, but it'll make Worlds that more exciting!

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I was just thinking the other day that the next Bond movie (which is finally moving ahead again yaaaaay) should give Yuna a cameo. Although that's unlikely to result in an Oscar for her.

Also Patrick should skate to Yuna's cover of Don't Worry Be Happy next time he does a show skate in South Korea.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Ahhh, I was just over at youtube looking for past performances of Gisele, and this is what I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pusAqg3wgCM (this one's my favorite, really conveys the innocence & beauty, the dress apropos & the flowers in the hair adding that extra special touch!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNBxpCkN5WI (hmm, though lovely, I think this one's for a more mature skater, whereas the other one's more appropriate for a younger ballerina type skater imho, both gorgeous!)

And then of course I had to look for Oksana Baiul, whom Yuna Kim reminds me of, she even skated to Oksana's "Meditation from Thais" in a similar style dress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQIJvGpU9z4&playnext=1&list=PL4D3F34642367807B :)

All of these similarities make me wish Yuna would skate to the "Black Swan", just as Oksana has done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6zKfZVurJY (but in Yuna's case I would hope she could skate it with her own natural sensuality combined with fire, make it come alive!)

Here's hoping to be blown away by Yuna at Worlds, just as she blew me away with her "James Bond 007" routine last year ~ BRAVO!!!! BRAVO!!!! :thumbsup: