Yuna Kim | Page 87 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I want to see Yuna's 3Lo again!

2 3Lo at 2009 Four Continents 'practice'...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM62CMStq1A

she raises her right arm up very high on those takeoffs, which makes me think she was trying the muscle the jumps with her upper body, much like Caroline Zhang does. Only Yu-na obviously has the height and speed needed to land those jumps without that...maybe she was trying not to put pressure on her hip?

prettykeys

Medalist
A 5-year old kid in the park playground was especially proud of his sandcastle. "Mommy! Look!" His mother laughs and smiling, says "You're my special little boy."

A girl named Gughork, wearing a shirt with Stephane Lambiel on it, walks by and overhears this conversation. She decides to pop in and ask, "Isn't everybody special?"

----------------

Gughork continues walking in the park when she passes by two lovers sitting on a bench. Admiringly, one of them whispers to the other, "There is no one quite like you." Puzzled, Gughork inquires out loud, "No one is quite like anybody else, isn't that much true?"

-----------------

In conclusion, Gughork has a pickle up her butt and needs to find a better hobby.

The end.

jatale

On the Ice
Yes, thanks for the link, her performance to "Thais" was beautiful. I'm new to these forums, but have been a dedicated figure skating fan for many years. I'm excited to see Kim come back and compete at Worlds. It takes a lot of guts to go "cold turkey" into competition for the first time in a year and to the World Championships on top of that no less! Her programs will be completely new to the judges, so I wonder how that might effect their scores. I've watched the performances at 4CC earlier this month, and I thought the final placements were right: Ando, Asada, and Nagasu in that order. Assuming Kim states her best, I have little doubt she will win against the field, there is still quite a gap in skating quality (to my eyes) between Kim and everyone else.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I predicted a couple of months ago on here that Yuna Kim would win Worlds cold turkey, that's because she's simply head & shoulders above the rest of the field, fact. All she has to do is skate clean and she should win because she has it all ~ speed, fully rotated 3/3 combos., innate natural charisma, spins, spirals, et al.

Her only close rival will be Miki Ando, whom has improved leaps & bounds, she now has the best stretch out of all the ladies ~ her camel is simply the best in the business ~ combined with her big high fully rotated triple jumps. Though Yuna has her beat on fully rotated 3/3 combos.

Mao Asada will need to fully rotate her triple jumps in order to have a shot, and that's not her forte, she still has problems rotating all of her triple jumps. And her stretch in her spins comes nowhere close to Miki's gorgeous spinning leg. She'll have her work cut out for her.

But back to Yuna, she's like Virtue & Moir, whom on their first appearance at 4CC came in 1st after having not competed all season. Or like Evgeni Plushenko, whom won his first competition (Rostelecom Cup) after taking a 3-year hiatus from the ice. Only the very best can do this, and she's one of only a handful, I'm including Zhen/Shao in that category. :bow:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Why do people feel the solo 3T would be too much?

I don't feel that.

I feel that her 2a/3t and 3lutzOrFlip/3t has been insanely consistent in the past. I'm pretty sure she'd include both in the LP. If she does, she obviously can't do a solo 3t. There is a possibility that she leaves out repeating one of those 3t and repeats the 3flip instead. But her 3flip was iffy all last season and I'm not sure she'd want to go for something new on her big return.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Right here! Oh, eternal sunshine of the [thought]less mind. :agree:

shine must be a lady.
It is natural...a lady falls in love with somebody like Lambiel who is very ATTACTIVE male skater.

Likewise...

I fell in love with Yu-Na, Katia, Sasha and Mao.
It is human nature... fall in love with attractive opposite sex human being.

Skating will prosper if we have a lot of ATTRACTIVE SKATERS with EXCELLENT SKATING ABILITY.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She says she won't debut a new technical element at Worlds, and her technical content will be identical to what we saw at the Olympics. So I'm guessing there won't be a 3loop? I wonder what her FS jump layout will be with the new rules in effect (only 2 double axels counted in the FS). At the Olympics, she did 3lutz/3toe, 3flip, 2axel/2toe/2loop, 2axel/3toe, 3salchow*, 3lutz* and 2axel* (* being elements done after the halfway mark with the 10% bonus. The 2axel/3toe is supposed to be after the halfway mark, but for whatever reason it wasn't counted as such at the Olympics).

Keeping things as close as possible:
3lutz/3toe, 3flip, 2lutz/2toe/2loop, 2axel/3toe*, 3salchow*, 3lutz*, 2axel* That change costs her 1.2 points compared to last season's layout, sort of (there's no direct comparison to last season since the 2axel has been decreased in value while the 2lutz has been increased).

Diluting the difficulty of the combos:
3lutz/3toe, 3flip, 2axel/2toe/2loop, 2axel/2toe*, 3salchow*, 3lutz*, 3toe* That costs her 2.5 points compared to last season's layout.

Repeat 3flip instead of 3toe, which may not be doable as Yu Na's 3flip hasn't been that reliable last season, and she may not want to risk putting 2 in the FS:
3lutz/3toe, 3flip, 2axel/2toe/2loop, 2axel*, 3salchow*, 3lutz*, 3flip/2toe* This would gain her 2.2 points compared to last season's layout.

In fact, has she ever done an FS with two 3flips and two 3lutzes? I don't think she has. So the last one seems unlikely. I'm almost certain that she'd want to keep her 3lutz/3toe and 2axel/3toe. Which means layout 1's mix of jumps is the most likely. Anybody else want to hazard a guess?

Yu-Na could also do:

3Lutz+3toe
3flip
2Axel+2toe
x3toe+2toe+2loop
x3Salchow
x3Lutz
x2Axel

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I see Yu-na playing it safe at Worlds and relying on her PCS, positive GOE and Olympic Champion bonus to make up the difference. Kostner had a lot of success earlier in the season with no 3/3, no flip and no lutz and she dosen't have the PCS or GOE that Yu-na can achieve.

If she skates a clean short I would not be surprised if she even eliminates the 3/3 in the free and the 2 axel/3 toe. Think back to the GPF 2009 which she won handily despite a bad SP and a safe free.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If Yuna is serious about winning, though, she can't play it TOO safe with Ando and Asada knocking on the door. When you reach the top, the last thing you want to do is get comfortable and cocky. That's when surprises happen.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If Yuna is serious about winning, though, she can't play it TOO safe with Ando and Asada knocking on the door. When you reach the top, the last thing you want to do is get comfortable and cocky. That's when surprises happen.

True, Ando seems to be receiving the scores this year. Depends what the standings are after the short. If Asada and/or Miki falter, I think Yu-na and her team may just take the safter way.

breeze

Rinkside
Actually, I will be really surprised if Yuna intentionally plays it safe even if she leads after the short. 2009 GPF was more like a melt-down for her standard and I have never seen her plan (as opposed to something like accidently doing 3-2 instead of 3-3 because of bad execution of the first jump) to level down her technical elements in any competition she's been to. And I've never heard her 'bluffing' (not to undermine any other skaters, it's just my bad vocabulary) about training harder elements. She could always be held to her words regarding her programs as far as I remember. Now she has said that her technical element will not be very different from last season, so I'm expecting just that. And I hope she delivers them as they were planned, and as well as she used to. :)

ETA: Oh, and I agree that she will have to attack to medal, seeing how consistant Miki has been this season, and how Mao's jumps are improving toward the end of the season.

Last edited:

Krislite

Medalist
From all the programs I've seen her perform, the only time Yuna has ever missed her 3x3 (or 2A+3T) is by mistake or accident, never as planned. This is true even when she was leading by over 10 points. I think she has known for some time she can win with several falls (a la Patrick Chan) and maybe even with watered down content. But she's never taken that route and I don't see her doing it now.

Her coach has discussed her new programs, and talked about certain choreographic passages following her standard combo (3Lz+3T). Provided that she is not injured, I'm 100% confident Yu-na will include a 3Lz+3T combo in both the short and long program. The real question is what will happen to her 2A+3T combo, in light of the new rules regarding 2A's?