Yuna Kim | Page 88 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Yuna's 3/3 and 2a/3toe combo is consistent as hells. She's executed them successfully and dg free maybe in more competitions than any other female skater. I would be shocked if she doesn't do them at the upcoming worlds.

That said, Yuna has, for the past few seasons, had a FS jump layout that had less base points than some of what the other top skaters had planned. But that doesn't mean Yuna relies on PCS or GOEs to come out ahead. What she does is consistently having one of the hardest jump layout in the SP, by landing the two hardest non-axel triples and another triple. And I don't think any other female skater comes close to Yuna in consistently skating SPs with no edge calls on both the flip and the lutz, and no dgs on the 3/3s. The SP is a major part of the score, and Yuna packs more into it than any other skater and executes better than any of them most of the time.

In the FS, Yuna is a little less ambitious, always has been. One of her repeated triples is the lowest valued one, she usually only does 6 triples (skipping the 3loop), and she doesn't cram most of her combos into the second half. She also doesn't consistently carry out her jump plan, either. However, her difficult SP gives her a cushion, and again, her lack of dg in the 3/3 and lack of edge calls can keep her ahead. And she can win with what she's got at the upcoming worlds if she executes enough of it.

There is a bit of danger, though. The new rules limit the amount of 2axels she can do, and a UR call is no longer as deadly as it used to be (which means her lack of UR calls is no longer as huge an advantage). Plus, the rule allowing ladies to do a triple axel instead of a mandatory double axel allows Mao to cram another triple into her SP. If Yuna plans on competing, she should try to get that 3loop back in her FS unless it damages her physically.

Last edited:

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
Please nobody kill me but I'm not a big Yu-Na fan...she just is not my cup of tea. I don't wish for anybody to skate a bad competition, but I just don't know that she can come back after not competing for an entire season and win. I know this has nothing to do with the judging at worlds, but I like to see skaters who've persevered through the whole season be rewarded with the world medals.

herro

On the Ice
Please nobody kill me but I'm not a big Yu-Na fan...she just is not my cup of tea. I don't wish for anybody to skate a bad competition, but I just don't know that she can come back after not competing for an entire season and win. I know this has nothing to do with the judging at worlds, but I like to see skaters who've persevered through the whole season be rewarded with the world medals.

Well, there is a huge difference in Yuna's actual skating abilities that determine whether or not she can actually win the competition and your opinion that skaters who have competed consistently throughout the season should be rewarded with medals at worlds.

With regards to the first part, I think Yuna's consistency has shown that she is definitely capable (in terms of her abilities) to come back after a year and still win.

In response to your second statement, I don't know - I see where you're coming from but there's no reason that a skater who has the skills and talent to be able to come back to compete whenever they want and win. Of course it's only fair if that skater wins based on talent, rather than previous reputation or fame.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Perseverance through a season has its own rewards when it comes to winning at worlds. Or, put another way, there are huge disadvantages to Yuna making her seasonal debut at worlds that there's no extra need to root against her.

No, I don't think judges would be biased against a well known veteran skater who's making her debut at worlds. However...

Under the COP, with all the nuances in tech calls in jumps, spins and footwork, it's very important to test them out repeatedly under competition condition (where the adrenaline and crowds and everything else makes the timing and edges just different enough to make a difference) to optimize them. The COP makes planning so much more important than under the 6.0. And some German dude once said, "no battle plan survives contact with the enemy." Since her first contact will be at Worlds, there will be no chance for her to adjust her battle plans.

Competitions generally improve confidence and performance level. So much of skating is about performing to the crowd. The best skaters can soak in crowd reaction, then know what to play up/down next time. And if the crowd roared for you once during a performance of a program, the next time you do it you'll be even more confident which attracts the crowd even more, and so on.

Yuna won't get the benefit of any of that. While there are lots of disadvantages to traveling around the world to compete, like interrupting your circadian rhythm, continuously changing your environment, cutting short your practice schedule... I think Yuna should've gone for a competition before Worlds. She should've maybe tried out the Asian Winter Games or 4cc.

Then again, it is really that important Yuna wins Worlds? She's won it before and she has won the biggest prize in skating. She is possibly the most successful athlete ever in South Korea in terms of fame, regard and influence. If she wants to take it easy and just show up at Worlds, which she is perfectly allowed under the rules, she'll probably be happy with the results and her fans should be, too.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Has anybody been able to see Yuna practicing in the last month or so--any of you been flies-on-the-wall? I'm also quite :unsure: that anybody (no matter how good) can be out of competition for a year and then jump in cold and clean up at Worlds. I don't doubt her physical capabilities and being ready and well-trained. I'm more skeptical about her mental preparation and competitive drive being 100%.

treeloving

Medalist
I can wait for her giselle, the rhythm of the mad scene and some other theme from this ballet is just perfectly suit her skating style.

jaylee

Medalist

Quite understandable that she's not your cup of tea and that you're not sure about her chances. But as for your latter wish, I understand the "rewarding for a season" concept but I think it's the performance that should be rewarded. Reminds me a bit of complaints about Michelle skipping the Grand Prix in the last few years of her career while Sasha, having had successful GPs, would continue to lose to Michelle at Nats and sometimes Worlds. I never thought that was unfair to Sasha, because there was never anything stopping Sasha from winning Nationals or Worlds, except herself. Likewise, there is nothing stopping any competitor, whether or not they've competed internationally in the season (not just Yu-Na, but Laura Lepisto, Virtue/Moir, Ryan Bradley), from delivering a podium worthy performance.

Competitions generally improve confidence and performance level. So much of skating is about performing to the crowd. The best skaters can soak in crowd reaction, then know what to play up/down next time. And if the crowd roared for you once during a performance of a program, the next time you do it you'll be even more confident which attracts the crowd even more, and so on.
Then again, it is really that important Yuna wins Worlds? She's won it before and she has won the biggest prize in skating. She is possibly the most successful athlete ever in South Korea in terms of fame, regard and influence. If she wants to take it easy and just show up at Worlds, which she is perfectly allowed under the rules, she'll probably be happy with the results and her fans should be, too.

You make some very interesting points, Serious Business, especially about getting all the levels of non-jump elements. Yu-Na has been very good at maximizing her levels throughout her career, even when she misses a jump or two, and very good at debuting her programs, but of course it is still an issue.

However, I'm not sure participating at any of the pre-Worlds competitions would have prepared her for what the the crowd reception be like in Tokyo, which has a very strong woman's team that they naturally want to see on the podium. The reception Yu-na got at the 2009 Skate America was very different from what she had at the 2009 GPF.

Yu-Na has made it clear that it is about her performance for her fans first, and the placement will take care of itself. She is not committing to a specific goal in terms of medal. Without Yu-Na, Korea would surely lose its 2nd spot for next year, so just by going, she's accomplishing something substantial for her country.

Has anybody been able to see Yuna practicing in the last month or so--any of you been flies-on-the-wall? I'm also quite :unsure: that anybody (no matter how good) can be out of competition for a year and then jump in cold and clean up at Worlds. I don't doubt her physical capabilities and being ready and well-trained. I'm more skeptical about her mental preparation and competitive drive being 100%.

I've heard a rumor here and there, enough to be encouraged. ;)

cooper

Medalist
Yuna just left a message on her official website and apologized to her fans for keeping them wait in a long time and she will repay them by competing at the Worlds with her very best effort on display! ;) She also commemorate her OGM and said it was unreal. ;)

cooper

Medalist
Has YuNa indicated what her future plans will be after Worlds?

As far as I know her schedule is fully booked after Worlds because of the Pyeonchang bid, she will be going to London and then to South Africa plus with 2 ice shows in Korea.

jatale

On the Ice
I really hope Yu-Na has a good time at Worlds and that she skates well. Frankly, as a long time figure skating fan, I'd kind of lost interest after Michelle and Sasha stopped skating, that is until Yu-Na came along. For me, Yu-Na has an amazing gift, her skating impresses me as much if not more than any other skater I've ever seen. I know that winning the Olympics was the fulfillment of her childhood/lifetime dream, and that the year following that win has been one of upheaval for her. After all the years of hard work and single minded effort that she put into achieving Olympic gold - finding direction afterwards can be hard.

For now, her immediate goal seems to be competing at World's and I hope she does well there (maybe that will renew her desire to continue competing which would make me very happy). I'm looking forward to an exciting and top-notch competition this year, and hope all the skaters do their best.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Here's hoping Yuna lands everything she has planned, though more than all else I'm just excited to see her new programs, I love seeing skaters' programs for the first time! :love:

On that score, I'm totally in awe of her fuerza/strength, to debut her programs at Worlds takes a lot of guts, anybody that does that has my complete & utter admiration. :bow:

:thumbsup:GOOOOOOOOOOO YUNA!!!!:thumbsup:

sunny0760

On the Ice
This is a vid I am seeing today multiple times. Yuna 4 years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxEr4IQYeP8&feature=player_embedded

I think everything is there. Practice, tears, pains, injuries, bad facilities and poor environment, cold, mother/daughter relationship, solitude, genuine smile, improvement, expression, most of all, hard work.

No, not only Yuna. So many skaters are working hard and we cannot forget that. Cheers for them:agree:

People just forget how many disadvantages she had to get over. People tend to think Yuna has always been benefited from judges (especially PCS) and has always got tremendous support from her country and fans. Far from the truth. This vid is about the time when (almost) no one imagined nowaday's Yuna.

BackStage Barbie, I want you to see this vid. Her not pointed toe is noticeable?:) She was/is not so flexible but you should also consider her nagging injuries, especially in 2006-2008. She will never be a Sasha or Alissa. Thankfully, her upper body is flexible and expressive enough.

SkatingAnalyst

On the Ice
Here's hoping Yuna lands everything she has planned, though more than all else I'm just excited to see her new programs, I love seeing skaters' programs for the first time! :love:

On that score, I'm totally in awe of her fuerza/strength, to debut her programs at Worlds takes a lot of guts, anybody that does that has my complete & utter admiration. :bow:

:thumbsup:GOOOOOOOOOOO YUNA!!!!:thumbsup:

Yu-Na does not get nervous in a big competition.
I'm 100% sure...she'll show off Giselle and Homage to Korea with confidence.

She is one BRAVE HEARTED IRON BUTTERFLY.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Yu-Na does not get nervous in a big competition.

Yes, but she's never been away from competition for a year... I do think Yu-na now knows when and how to peak. Her interviews indicate that 2008 Worlds taught her quite a lesson (she was injured while practicing excessively), and now she trains with her well-being and limits in mind. She entered 2009 Worlds, 2009 TEB and 2010 Olympics with clear focus and determination to win because they each held great significance for her. We all know how those competitions went. I've never seen Yu-na as one to bluff or exaggerate, so I believe her word when she says she's in great condition to compete. Training translates into confidence for her.... but I doubt she won't be nervous at Tokyo.

cooper

Medalist
Yes, but she's never been away from competition for a year... I do think Yu-na now knows when and how to peak. Her interviews indicate that 2008 Worlds taught her quite a lesson (she was injured while practicing excessively), and now she trains with her well-being and limits in mind. She entered 2009 Worlds, 2009 TEB and 2010 Olympics with clear focus and determination to win because they each held great significance for her. We all know how those competitions went. I've never seen Yu-na as one to bluff or exaggerate, so I believe her word when she says she's in great condition to compete. Training translates into confidence for her.... but I doubt she won't be nervous at Tokyo.

Actually she said on her recent interview that she's nervous but excited at the same time. :laugh:

cooper

Medalist
According to the Korean media today, Yuna's costume will be unveiled on the dress rehearsal day and she will likely arrive on the 20th in Tokyo. :biggrin: