Yuna Kim | Page 92 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:) blue dog..thanks for the info re: boots . I was thinking those looked like Michele's boots..

I think Mao would benefit from a different boot and a more pointed toe look ,too. She's always had a nicer leg position than Yuna in her spiral , but I'd really like to see a neater foot to finish it off. (It would also make anybody's footwork look more precise.)

You could see that Yuna was working on her turnout and extension over the last couple of years , but a lot of people didn't give her credit for it because of the lack of a pointed toe..I think it made it easier for them to disregard her smooth flow over the ice and sure edges , as well.

Anyway, she seems to be committed to being at World's and I'm really looking forward to seeing her.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
You could see that Yuna was working on her turnout and extension over the last couple of years , but a lot of people didn't give her credit for it because of the lack of a pointed toe..I think it made it easier for them to disregard her smooth flow over the ice and sure edges , as well.

Really? I don't recall people ever saying she didn't have nice flow or edges. Rather, I recall reading a lot of people defending her spirals because of their secure edges. I guess it's different opinions, but I don't really think the boot makes the difference here.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I can tell you that what brand you're in can make a huge difference in what toe point and extension looks like. I went from Reidells to Harlicks and my toe point magically got better (even though I did nothing differently).

MKFSfan

Medalist
jatale said:
This is what puzzles me. The Olympic hosting bid is important, but I would think competing at Worlds would be more important. A victory for her at Worlds would positively impact Korea's bid, so its a win win. If she skips Worlds, on the other hand, all her hard training this past year will be for little gain, she does not need to be in Olympic shape to give speeches and skate ice-show programs. If Worlds is rescheduled within the next couple of months, it seems to me that Yuna should compete, not only for herself but also because it could indirectly help Korea's Olympic hosting bid too.

I think the concern is Yu-Na's ice shows in May may interfere with Yu-Na attending Worlds. Hopefully the dates work out that she can do both!

Last edited:

yunafan1860

Rinkside
If she intends to compete, between now and then, she will need to return to LA and train, which means she will have to cancel most of her PR activities between now and end of April.

this is my concern..:disapp:

i wonder if it's possible for her to stay at the same rink she used for the open practice, and keep training without Oppegard (?) I don't know how busy her PR schedule is - Pyeongchang meetings aside.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:) miki88..That's part of the point I'm trying to make..people had to defend her by pointing out her edges and flow , because some critics couldn't see beyond the fact that her extension wasn't as high as some , she didn't have as much turnout as some and her toe wasn't pointed.

I'm not saying that she hasn't made any improvement in her overall position, herself ( I've noticed steady improvement , and thought many people were ignoring it ), I'm just saying the boots are a help with the foot position. A good foot position doesn't make good spiral overall , but a poor foot position will detract from the overall esthetic of the spiral .

I really noticed this a few years ago with Marie France Dubreuil. Someone close to me always said they couldn't enjoy watching D/L because her toes weren't pointed. But following (I think) some boot problems , she switched to a different boot ,and there was an instant difference...toes were pointed and her feet looked a good size smaller.

In this case ,I don't know if there's much of a difference in construction at the ankle to allow a bit more stretch/flex , but the heel appears a bit higher, so you're partway to a point right there, and the neater toe shape helps ,as well.

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
:) miki88..That's part of the point I'm trying to make..people had to defend her by pointing out her edges and flow , because some critics couldn't see beyond the fact that her extension wasn't as high as some , she didn't have as much turnout as some and her toe wasn't pointed.
Some critics still can't see, or maybe choose not to see, while commenting on things they don't seem to know very much about... ;)

I find your observations spot-on. Actually, more than an improvement in toe-point, I noticed that her footwork looked crisper and lighter than before. These new boots are slimming and seem to be designed for better precision.

And now, to balance my fandom, I don't like her hands as much as before in the above clips. There's more bending at the wrists, which I find a little excessive and distracting.

parma

On the Ice
She skating had been impaccable, and yet she seems to have made further improvement on minor elements since she moved to LA.

Her body shape seems to have changed a bit. Now her muscles seem to become leaner but danser. She looks thinner but her moves are more powerful.

breeze

Rinkside
Thank you everyone for uploading the videos! I realized how much I missed her skating watching them. My first impression about the choreo is that it reminds me of both Danse Macabre and Meditation from Thais. Very intense even from the short clip, yet smooth and flowy. Can't wait to see the full program! :)

And I agree that she's been improving the details. IIRC, in her last open practice video in LA, it seemed like Oppegard was trying to teach Yuna how to keep her ankle in a more desirable direction/position by actually holding her boot. (Sorry I can't find any photo or video right now.) I wonder if his teaching style or preference has anything to do with Yuna's better extension.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
even just the tiny snippet of her program tells me that Yuna's "Giselle" may well be my favorite SP. Her movements appear so passionate and elegant, and she is not even skating to the music!

Robeye

Final Flight
oh thanks... I wonder if i got the cut right :)

What was really impressive about your cut was that her movements were perfectly in sync with the music's beat and emphasis and atmospheric tone! You sure you're not part of her entourage? :unsure:

:)

jatale

On the Ice
Very nice clip indeed! The desire to see the real thing is getting very high... I hope Yuna will compete, be in top shape, and deliver her best efforts at Worlds - if that happens I'm sure we'll all be in rapture!