Yuna Kim | Page 94 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

I am jumping with joy!! It's official!! Yuna is definitely in for the Worlds Championship!!! She will also hold the ATS Spring ice show on May 6~8!!

For real? Awesome! This is great news for skating. I can't wait for the glorious showdown between YuNa, Mao, and Miki...and, dare I hope, Alissa.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
P. Hersh: Kim Yuna will go to rescheduled figure skate worlds

Here's the article!
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2011/03/kim-yuna-will-go-to-rescheduled-figure-skate-worlds.html
Olympic figure skating champion Kim Yuna of South Korea said Friday she will compete as planned at the 2011 World Championships, which have been rescheduled for April 24 - May 1 and moved from Tokyo to Moscow.

It will be the first competition of the season for Kim, 20, who has been training since last fall in Los Angeles under the guidance of 1988 Olympic pairs medalist Peter Oppegard.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The Ladies just got exciting. Good for Yuna that Peter Oppegard doesn't have another skater competing at Worlds.

I wonder if she will fly ATS skaters who will compete at Worlds directly from Moscow to Korea and stay till show dates. I guess they will all devote themselves to Worlds and need to work extra hard afterwards to prepare for the show in Korea.

Krislite

Medalist
The bottom line is she is not guaranteed a win if she goes. Plus, she is busy and that's real. I think whether she will end up going or not will depend on when and where the rescheduled World will be. At this point, it looks like it's going to be Moscow in the 3rd or last week of April. Depends on what else it's on her schedule and most importantly, whether she is willing to return to her training schedule in order to prepare for the event. If she intends to compete, between now and then, she will need to return to LA and train, which means she will have to cancel most of her PR activities between now and end of April.

Well, she has cancelled most/all of her upcoming PR events, but instead of going back to LA to train, her coach is going to Korea! Interesting choice...

L

lowtherlore

If this situation had happened a month earlier, I think she might have chosen to go back to her training base in LA. The problem with Seoul’s Taeneung rink where Yu-Na is currently skating is that it’s too cold inside during the severe Korean winter as it has practically no interior heating, exposing the athletes to greater chance of injury. But now it’s almost April and it’s getting warmer here, so I think the cold is less of an issue now for her in getting quality training sessions. And my guess is that the rink is less busy now, as the season is over for the short track speed skaters who are generally given priorities in ice time allotment. As for Oppegard coming to Korea, that he doesn’t have other skaters under his tutelage going to the Worlds would have helped them making the decision.

Robeye

Final Flight
Yuna and Peter at the ice rink today:)

A little teaser of her LP from 2:00 + minutes

http://translate.google.com/transla...//gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=figureskating

And another from the beginning http://sstv.freechal.com/index.html?page=news/flypage&nid=103502&cid=20
I have already started to fall in love with her LP. If you are familiar with traditional Korean dance at all, then it strikes you that this serenely liquid style of movement couldn't possibly be about anything else. :yes: I really hope someone can make a vid set to music based on the LP practice clip, similar to the ones done for "Giselle". yunafan1860, are you out there? :eek::

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I think because she is not focusing on winning (or at least telling us she isn't), and instead focusing on performing as a thank-you for Korean fans, she seems more relaxed than the other skaters.

cooper

Medalist
Hooray! Can anyone translate what she is saying? :)

She just said....

“I’m glad to see my coach again but in the same time a bit nervous.
Even though preparations were a bit delayed in the process of Worlds being rescheduled,
my coach is now here and we will prepare for the competition just like we have been doing.”

“Now that the coach is here, I will bear down and concentrate even more."

“We plan to do the same as we did in the U.S. We haven’t made any drastic changes.
We will simply continue to do what we always do – faithfully practice".

Last edited:

quikrush

Rinkside
The Russians seem really intent on emphasizing the Queen's attendance. :) Perhaps it will affect ticket sales?
Yuna's practice clips look extremely promising. I can't wait for the Worlds to begin!

prettykeys

Medalist
It's a very nice background ... but I don't get it. :think:

Well, at least now we get to see the detailing on her dress better. :p
lol, I agree with you. I like it of course ;) but for an event website, it's a little unfair to the other skaters, too. Maybe they were told to throw the website together quickly, so they found a fast and easy solution :biggrin:, but I personally wish it was something egalitarian.

Robeye

Final Flight
lol, I agree with you. I like it of course ;) but for an event website, it's a little unfair to the other skaters, too. Maybe they were told to throw the website together quickly, so they found a fast and easy solution :biggrin:, but I personally wish it was something egalitarian.
In the manual for selling tickets quickly, the editor will always strike out "egalitarian" and insert "expediency".;)

Well, considering that these folks are leaping in to save the day at the last moment, they can be excused for using rough-and-ready methods. If they want to use YuNa's name and reputation, and it helps, more power to them. It's not as if using her as their "magnet" will get her any more points with the judges. I'm actually thrilled to see that they're making such a fuss over YuNa, because it will keep her motivated as well. She has so many other commitments that many of us feared she might skip Worlds because of the postponement. This way, we know she's serious about sticking around, and the organizers get the benefit of her association with the event. I don't see a downside.

It also occurs to me that the Japanese skaters, who might (because of the old Japan/Korea rivalry) be displeased by emphasis on YuNa, will be such stars at the event just by showing up that they're not going to mind any extra notice going to YuNa. People will be falling all over the Japanese for so many reasons: they're safe, they're able to be there, they're the current World Champions, they'll probably be accompanied by a host of fans. Don't worry. They'll have plenty of face time. And so, of course, will the Europeans such as Korpi. Things will work out well in all directions, I'm sure.

Last edited:

cooper

Medalist
c/o of spiccoli

Q&A w/ Yuna from Dong-A Ilbo Newspaper

Q: Me and my field 10 years later:

Q: My Role model:

Q: The things I’ve learned, the things I wish to learn

A: I’ve always been taught that the basics were important. Jumps are an important element of figure skating. In order to execute passionate choreography while doing beautiful jumps, it is very important that you have good basics. Although it’s been 12 years since I’ve started skating, I always do my on-ice training in the same order and method. If you underestimate the importance of practicing the basics because it’s too easy or because you’re just sick and tired of them, your beautiful jumps will disappear and you’ll be left with a mess. I think the easiest, yet at the same time most difficult, thing is adhering to the fundamentals.

Q: Defining moment in my life

A: During the last 12 years as an athlete I suffered from endless injuries. Falling on the ice thousands of times, and ankles becoming crooked because of the hard boots gradually lead to injuries. There were serious injuries that could have stopped me from skating but at each crucial moment there was something that helped me battle through it – My strong will to achieve my dreams, and my love for figure skating. Everyone has their own goal or dream. But there aren’t that many people who have that strong will and endless perseverance to make that dream come true. I think that the only way you can make your dreams become reality is to have determination, faith, tenacity, and to work hard.

Q: The rock that holds you steady during times of despair

Q: Things that I’ll never do

If there is one thing that I wish from myself is to always be “humble”. During the 12 years as an athlete, I’ve lead a pretty successful life as a figure skater. My goal is to never forget to be humble so that I will not lose all the things I’ve achieved after all that hard work for a mistake made in a split of a second. I will strive to never become a person who is always greedy to have more than what they already have.

http://www.donga.com/news/100people/2011/

Last edited by a moderator: