Page 95 of 202 FirstFirst ... 45 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 145 195 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 3027

Thread: Yu-Na Kim

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    The worst thing about this break-up is that we still really don't know why it happened.
    well, that's usually the case isn't it? I mean, nobody know what REALLY happened with Carrol and Goebel, no? But somehow, I can't put my finger on it, but this break up seems especially ... bad.
    Maybe it's because things had seemed to be going WELL with the Yuna-Orser team. With Carrol and Michelle too. However, that break up, while much criticized, at least had some modicum of grace to it.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    I doubt Oppegard will be blamed if things go badly for Yuna this year unless he really pushes some strange course and she goes along for some reason. I think everyone will see this as Yuna basically coaching herself with Oppegard there to backstop her practices and give her tips and such. It's probably fine. Yuna probably could steer her own course at this point but I'm glad she is not choosing to go coachless.
    I totally agree, but you know...you're thinking rationally. Are all skating fans rational and fair?

It's not surprising that she didn't reach out to one of the more recognized single coaches.

Maybe another poster with more knowledge of the inside world of skating can speak to this: But after her awkward and messy break up with Orser, would it have been uncomfortable for someone like Rafael Arturian coach her? Or would any coach jump at the chance to coach her because she's the world's top skater?
    I know skater-coach break ups happen all the time but somehow this one seems more messy and awkward than most.
    I have no idea. But articles seem to cite YuNa as saying one of the reasons she chose Oppegard is because she felt some good vibes from a learning session with him ~10 years ago. Plus, there is the Kwan connection.

Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    The worst thing about this break-up is that we still really don't know why it happened.
    Oh yes, how terrible. Fans being privy to all the decision-making factors of skaters and coaches = oh-so-important.

Custom Title
    well, that's usually the case isn't it? I mean, nobody know what REALLY happened with Carrol and Goebel, no? But somehow, I can't put my finger on it, but this break up seems especially ... bad.
    Maybe it's because things had seemed to be going WELL with the Yuna-Orser team. With Carrol and Michelle too. However, that break up, while much criticized, at least had some modicum of grace to it.
    I honestly don't know how a break-up like the Kim-Orser one can be smoothed over at a later date. It would take a tremendous amount of work, at best. By contrast, when Kwan left Carroll, a lot of people wondered why on earth Michelle would do such a thing right before the Olympics. But as weird and maybe unreasonable as it seemed, she still initiated the parting as an adult. Both participants conducted themselves in a civilized way. There were no public recriminations from either one, and they seemed to part, if not on good terms, at least with the hope of resuming good terms someday--something that seems to have happened. Neither Kwan nor Carroll burned any bridges when they parted company.

As for Oppegard, I guess he could be expected just to keep an eye on YuNa's jumps and not really interfere with her own vision of her skating right now. But I haven't gotten the impression that he's a pushover. It'll be interesting to see what the expectations are on both sides of this new relationship. I hope for the best! As for the Kwan connection, I guess the rink seems like a safe and protected environment to Kim, and maybe it will give her some time to renew herself. I hope so. Whoever was at fault in the departure from Orser, Kim is a treasure, and I'd love to see her skate at her peak for a long time to come.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I honestly don't know how a break-up like the Kim-Orser one can be smoothed over at a later date. It would take a tremendous amount of work, at best. By contrast, when Kwan left Carroll, a lot of people wondered why on earth Michelle would do such a thing right before the Olympics. But as weird and maybe unreasonable as it seemed, she still initiated the parting as an adult. Both participants conducted themselves in a civilized way. There were no public recriminations from either one, and they seemed to part, if not on good terms, at least with the hope of resuming good terms someday--something that seems to have happened. Neither Kwan nor Carroll burned any bridges when they parted company.

As for Oppegard, I guess he could be expected just to keep an eye on YuNa's jumps and not really interfere with her own vision of her skating right now. But I haven't gotten the impression that he's a pushover. It'll be interesting to see what the expectations are on both sides of this new relationship. I hope for the best! As for the Kwan connection, I guess the rink seems like a safe and protected environment to Kim, and maybe it will give her some time to renew herself. I hope so. Whoever was at fault in the departure from Orser, Kim is a treasure, and I'd love to see her skate at her peak for a long time to come.
    That sums up how I feel exactly.

About the Holy Alliance, Kwan and Kim, if they had the inclination they could take over the US ice show scene.

If only the US ice show scene existed for them to take over.

Custom Title
    All I can say is..wish yuna and peter and everyone the very best!!!! and i can't wait to see her 'Arirang' program! that's all..

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    About the Holy Alliance, Kwan and Kim, if they had the inclination they could take over the US ice show scene.

If only the US ice show scene existed for them to take over.
    With the fanboyism in these threads, they could probably create one.
    Last edited by R.D.; 10-05-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Custom Title
    Fanboys? What are we female fans...chopped liver? We insist on a U.S. ice show scene, too.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    R.D., definitely you should edit to add "and fangirls!" Possibly also (for folks like me) "fan old ladies".

YuNa probably isn't going to Oppegard for a critique of her jumps. Peter was a pair skater, and he and Jill never were known for their jumps. He has produced some interesting choreography, though, from time to time.

And he has coached a lot of the West Coast pairs: he was Naomi Nari Nam & Themi Leftheris's coach, and he coached Inoue and Baldwin their best year (2006).

His relative inexperience on the world stage in single's may not be a negative to Yu Na. After, Brian was a relatively new coach when she started with him. She may prefer that?

His obvious pluses IMO: He's Michelle's brother in law. He's cute (or used to be cute). He's in LA, where she wants to live.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    “She feels like she’s on a journey in skating and doesn’t feel she has reached the pinnacle of what she can do,” he said. “She’s still interested in furthering her skating and that’s an admirable quality.”
    That's the vibe I'm getting, with the additional "She's not really digging competition at the moment, but..." Yu-na has not peaked - nope, not just yet. She has yet to transcend her performance and send shivers up my spine. Roxanne & Danse were very, very close, which gives me hope that she can fulfil my abnormally high expectations for her. She's getting off the Olympic high & needs time, but she knows the limit's the sky. Technically, she's almost flawless, her jumps are effortless and she said her technical arsenal will not undergo major change. She's in a unique position. Thus, she can focus more on artistry, connection with the audience and choreographic details. I wish her only the best.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    YuNa probably isn't going to Oppegard for a critique of her jumps. Peter was a pair skater, and he ........ never were known for jumps. He has produced some interesting choreography, though, from time to time.

I thought you were talking about another coach who was formerly a Pairs skater - Tatiana Tarasova.........

Custom Title
    A sports columnist for the L.A. Times was at the rink yesterday and sent out a few tweets. Apparently there were other reporters there as well.

http://twitter.com/helenenothelen

Down With It
    Actually, I was using "fanboyism" as a blanket term. Fangirls was implied, or so I thought. Nevermind-

How about this: From the fanaticism and cheerleading going on in these threads, they can create their own scene

'cause you know that's what's happening heck, they can probably do a private show just for interested GS members
    Last edited by R.D.; 10-06-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Custom Title
    It's okay, R.D.; I knew what you meant. And it would be great if we fanfolk (I once heard that in some circles, the plural of "fan" is "fen") could spark a new pro scene. We've certainly proved that we are well-informed and devoted! I remind you that Star Trek was dead as a doornail, and then it was revived purely by fannish efforts...and now it's a franchise not far behind Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. So you may be on to something.

Afterthought: If Johnny Weir is such a fan of Lady Gaga, maybe she can return the favor and tell her fans (sorry, fen) about skating. That would add a lot of devotees to the mix. (As long as they don't expect all the performers to wear feathers...or meat!)
    Last edited by Olympia; 10-06-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Custom Title
    Though actually, "fan" is an abreviation of "fanatic".

Page 95 of 202 FirstFirst ... 45 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 145 195 ... LastLast