Page 97 of 192 FirstFirst ... 47 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 147 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 2877

Thread: Yu-Na Kim

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PolymerBob View Post
    Two U.S. ladies have won an ISU event that Miss Kim will probably never win.
    Forgive me if the answer is buried somewhere earlier in this thread . . . which ISU event is this referring to?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    "Fan," (plural, "fen") > Latin fanaticus, > L. fanum, "temple": a person driven into an insane frenzy by a god. – or, in this case, by a pair of goddesses.

:cheer:
    ROTFL---

Though of course I feel that we fans are driven sane by skating, after life unhinges us.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Forgive me if the answer is buried somewhere earlier in this thread . . . which ISU event is this referring to?
    That was the 2009 World Team Trophy. Rachael, Caroline, Evan and Jeremy each won $30,000. The pairs skaters ( Caydee Denney / Jeremy Barrett ) and ice dancers ( Tanith / Ben ) won somewhat less.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    From the news it looks like Orser was not even in the equation of the split. Yuna won the Gold and simply moved on, what to do in Toronto anymore. And she will have more oportunities and offers in the new place probably, besides as a 20 year old, LA sounds exciting!

Custom Title
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YSXB_qSVX7...970c-800wi.jpg
    Credit: Aunt Joyce's Ice Cream Stand and any other picture site

Looks like Peter's going to be cracking down on Yu-na's lines and extensions which is great news to me.

Custom Title
    If true - regarding line and extension - then i am seriously excited!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    If true - regarding line and extension - then i am seriously excited!!!
    I'm not 100% of this (and credit to yunameter@YKF for pointing this out) but at 1:20, was Yu-na practising her leg turnout/extension here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT6WQa8xXI0 ?

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith11 View Post
    I'm not 100% of this (and credit to yunameter@YKF for pointing this out) but at 1:20, was Yu-na practising her leg turnout/extension here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT6WQa8xXI0 ?
    Very intriguing. Well, turnout is one of the very few things Yuna has to improve on ... Aunt Joyce brought up expression. I know some find Yu-na to lack a bit of warmth of the ice but to me the most important thing is that she's herself. She shouldn't try to be Michelle Kwan or something.
    Last edited by Layfan; 10-06-2010 at 10:02 PM.

Custom Title
    I am well aware that Yuna has said she intended to compete at Worlds 2011. I believe she was sincere when she made those statements. But that event has yet to happen. I stand by my previous statement: I do not believe we will see her again at eligible competition. If Worlds rolls around and she shows up and competes, I will be happy to return to this thread, eat my words and say "I was wrong."

As to why she didn't just declare retirement, I can think of 2 reasons right away, either alone or in combination: 1) Yuna herself was undecided at the time whether to continue with eligible or clean-break and announce the end. This is where family dynamic (esp Mama) may come into play, but we don't really know. 2) Business Strategy. Often it works in your favor to keep people guessing a while as to your next moves.

As to why she feels she needs a coach...plenty of skaters that turn pro still use one or more coaches, as developing one's skating always needs a fresh pair of eyes and advice. No matter how good you are. Taking on Oppegard--or anybody else--as a coach is not by itself a reliable determinant of intention to stay eligible or not. And I think it would be a mistake to assume that Yuna is looking to re-create with Oppegard, the dynamic that existed between herself and Orser over the last few years.

As to why she moved to L.A. I said it before. If you wish to be able to deal more directly with the Sports and Entertainment world as to setting up shows, dealing with agents, etc., then L.A. is the most logical place to set up your base. Not New York, not Toronto, and most definitely not Seoul. There has also been an underlying assumption on this forum that all YNK's commercial venture options lie strictly in the skating world--such as producing/headlining live ice shows. That assumption might not hold up over time, and she may wish (and have opportunities) to expand beyond that into movies and television, for starters.

As to much of my previous post (and this one) being speculation, of course. So what? That's what this forum is for. I don't see any other poster here with a direct pipeline into Yuna's head, so all of us are speculating. Just some with more logic than others.
    Last edited by bigsisjiejie; 10-06-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    From the news it looks like Orser was not even in the equation of the split. Yuna won the Gold and simply moved on, what to do in Toronto anymore. And she will have more oportunities and offers in the new place probably, besides as a 20 year old, LA sounds exciting!
    Bingo! All the drama and speculation over YuNa's split with Brian played out in the press and on the forums by fans and non fans was in hindsight very simple.
    Agree with your post.

lowtherlore
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    entire post
    I can see where you are coming from, but your post doesn’t say much on why you think she is done with competitive skating. Are staying eligible and doing shows or other commercial ventures mutually exclusive? She did only three shows after the Olympics, and there are many other top eligible skaters who appeared in greater number of shows during the off-season.

Time after time Yu-Na said she would go to the Worlds, and I don’t understand why some find it so hard to believe. Why would she prepare competitive programs if she’s not sincere? It’s definitely a good thing for the sport if she keep competing as we know that she, along with other fine skaters, is capable of drawing more new fans to the sport. Oppegard said in the interview that he accepted the job since Yu-Na seemed still motivated. Why not take her words at face value and see what happens.

I think most people believe she's not truly committed to Worlds (or any other eligible skating) because of her "poor" showing at Worlds right after the Olympics and her slow start to getting programs and running around doing other ventures right now.

Down With It
    Well, it's totally up to Yuna whether she wants to reach a new level of greatness, or slip into mediocrity as tends to happen to many OGMs as they lose motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    Well, it's totally up to Yuna whether she wants to reach a new level of greatness, or slip into mediocrity as tends to happen to many OGMs as they lose motivation.
    Not sure if I agree with that although it has been true at times.
    Kristi did not become "mediocre" when she turned Pro and many think her skating continued to grow in her Pro career.
    Yuka, G&G, Kulik, Kurt, etc showed some fantastic skating and programs after retiring from eligible competitive skating.

I suspect whatever Yuna does in the future there will be nothing half-assed or mediocre about her efforts.

Custom Title
    If she competes and fails then it's risky indeed, it will ruin her reputation, etc. But I will applaud her like any other skaters. At least the girl has guts.

If she retires then she can do whatever she wants.

Page 97 of 192 FirstFirst ... 47 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 147 ... LastLast