Page 98 of 197 FirstFirst ... 48 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 148 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 2954

Thread: Yu-Na Kim

  1. #1456
    can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith11 View Post
    I'm not 100% of this (and credit to yunameter@YKF for pointing this out) but at 1:20, was Yu-na practising her leg turnout/extension here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT6WQa8xXI0 ?
    Hey...that's a really observant comment. Thanks for pointing it out!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    I am well aware that Yuna has said she intended to compete at Worlds 2011. I believe she was sincere when she made those statements. But that event has yet to happen. I stand by my previous statement: I do not believe we will see her again at eligible competition. If Worlds rolls around and she shows up and competes, I will be happy to return to this thread, eat my words and say "I was wrong."
    I don't agree with you on this prediction, but I really like that you say things in a logical way so that I can follow your reasoning, which isn't unrealistic at all. As a YuNa fan, though, it's not pure logic that dictates my belief here. I just know she has a very strong record of delivering on her words. Unless she is injured, I think she will be at Worlds 2011.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    As to why she moved to L.A. I said it before. If you wish to be able to deal more directly with the Sports and Entertainment world as to setting up shows, dealing with agents, etc., then L.A. is the most logical place to set up your base. Not New York, not Toronto, and most definitely not Seoul. There has also been an underlying assumption on this forum that all YNK's commercial venture options lie strictly in the skating world--such as producing/headlining live ice shows. That assumption might not hold up over time, and she may wish (and have opportunities) to expand beyond that into movies and television, for starters.
    All true, but if YuNa wanted to go into non-skating commercial options and movies/TV, Seoul would be the most logical place to start. I do think she is serious about sticking to skating for now. S. Korea may not be the entertainment business centre of the world, but it does have a flourishing movie and drama TV-series scene that is popular all over Asia. Say YuNa wanted to go into acting--wouldn't it be best that she start there, memorizing lines in her native tongue?

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    I can see where you are coming from, but your post doesn’t say much on why you think she is done with competitive skating. Are staying eligible and doing shows or other commercial ventures mutually exclusive? She did only three shows after the Olympics, and there are many other top eligible skaters who appeared in greater number of shows during the off-season.

    Time after time Yu-Na said she would go to the Worlds, and I don’t understand why some find it so hard to believe. Why would she prepare competitive programs if she’s not sincere? It’s definitely a good thing for the sport if she keep competing as we know that she, along with other fine skaters, is capable of drawing more new fans to the sport. Oppegard said in the interview that he accepted the job since Yu-Na seemed still motivated. Why not take her words at face value and see what happens.
    Good points and I agree with you. You are clearly a YuNa fan so I think like me, you have a little more insight into her personality/character. I do recall that when Sasha declared she'd appear at the US Nationals this past year, it was met with a lot of skepticism. I imagine that skepticism is the natural state of a skating fan. Anyone can slip at anytime. Anyone can get injured at anytime. On top of that, it's a difficult sport, and if you don't believe in yourself, you can land all your jumps and come off unconvincingly in presentation and be disappointing anyway. Well, I believed that Sasha would show

    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    I think most people believe she's not truly committed to Worlds (or any other eligible skating) because of her "poor" showing at Worlds right after the Olympics and her slow start to getting programs and running around doing other ventures right now.
    YuNa's Worlds 2010 could be a source of motivation for her, too. Besides, a slow start doesn't mean it's a bad start, and she looks to have planned accordingly...

  2. #1457
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    260
    It'll be same contentders all over again in 2011 World Campionship.

    Even though Yuna showed not-so-stella performance in 2010 Worlds and Mao has trouble in revamping her jumps...
    It'll be Yuna and Mao...fighting for GOLD.

    I don't see anybody that can challenge them on the horizon yet.
    Yuna and Mao are TWO SPECIAL skaters who can make skating...very popular beyond their own countries.

  3. #1458
    lowtherlore
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    I think most people believe she's not truly committed to Worlds (or any other eligible skating) because of her "poor" showing at Worlds right after the Olympics and her slow start to getting programs and running around doing other ventures right now.
    But her showing at Worlds right after her epic win at the Olympics should be respected. Yu-Na followed up on her words, despite having been hit by the unavoidable mental and physical fatigue after the then-ultimate win for her. I mean, it should have been like being asked to take another SAT after you’ve already received a welcome letter from Stanford. In the recent Q&A session with the fans, she mentioned that, in her own words, “Believe it or not, the 2010 Worlds was one of the most fulfilling competitions of my entire career.” I think she really means that and it tells a lot about her take on the essence of competition and perseverance.

    As for the slow start on her programs this year, she long ago said that she would skip the GPs and come back for the Worlds. And she’s not running around doing other ventures now. She declared that there would be no more shows for her and she would concentrate on her preparation for the Worlds.
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 10-07-2010 at 10:36 AM.

  4. #1459
    lowtherlore
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Not sure if I agree with that although it has been true at times.
    Kristi did not become "mediocre" when she turned Pro and many think her skating continued to grow in her Pro career.
    Yuka, G&G, Kulik, Kurt, etc showed some fantastic skating and programs after retiring from eligible competitive skating.

    I suspect whatever Yuna does in the future there will be nothing half-assed or mediocre about her efforts.
    I agree. According to Oppegard’s words, she feels that she hasn’t reached the pinnacle of her skating and wants to improve. I can imagine what she pictures herself to become, when I compare the recent (ATS at LA) version of her Meditation with the one she did at the Olympics gala. She’s not the same skater she was last season, she is maturing and evolving.
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 10-07-2010 at 10:22 AM.

  5. #1460
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,630
    Yeah, I don't think Yuna necessarily has to keep competing to keep from falling into mediocrity. If she wants to retire from competition and expand on All the Skate, more power to her and it could be great for the skating world.

    I'm definitely taking her at her word that she wants to go to worlds. I think she's given herself plenty of time to prepare.

    But if she decides later this year that her heart isn't in it after all and drops out, I'm not going to rake her over the coals. It's her life.

  6. #1461
    lowtherlore
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Yuna necessarily has to keep competing to keep from falling into mediocrity. If she wants to retire from competition and expand on All the Skate, more power to her and it could be great for the skating world.

    I'm definitely taking her at her word that she wants to go to worlds. I think she's given herself plenty of time to prepare.

    But if she decides later this year that her heart isn't in it after all and drops out, I'm not going to rake her over the coals. It's her life.
    Ditto.

  7. #1462
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by SkatingAnalyst View Post
    It'll be same contentders all over again in 2011 World Campionship.

    Even though Yuna showed not-so-stella performance in 2010 Worlds and Mao has trouble in revamping her jumps...
    It'll be Yuna and Mao...fighting for GOLD.

    I don't see anybody that can challenge them on the horizon yet.
    Yuna and Mao are TWO SPECIAL skaters who can make skating...very popular beyond their own countries.
    Mao's jumps appear to be a mess right now, I'm not sure she'll be a gold medal favorite this year at Worlds. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ando, Nagasu, Kostner, Lepisto at the top of the World's podium this season.

  8. #1463
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Mao's jumps appear to be a mess right now, I'm not sure she'll be a gold medal favorite this year at Worlds. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ando, Nagasu, Kostner, Lepisto at the top of the World's podium this season.
    Mao will overcome the difficlties she's facing right now...because
    she has the raw materials to jump.

    Ando was able to compete Yuna and Mao but she is getting old...almost 23...
    The others don't have the raw materials to compete the FABULOUS TWO.

  9. #1464
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Mao's jumps appear to be a mess right now, I'm not sure she'll be a gold medal favorite this year at Worlds. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ando, Nagasu, Kostner, Lepisto at the top of the World's podium this season.
    We will have to wait and see. She started off last season the same way and by the time Olympics and Worlds rolled around Mao showed she was a pretty good pressure skater and delivered when it counted.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-07-2010 at 12:25 PM.

  10. #1465
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    I am always baffled by Silverlake's staunch belief in Kostner's abilities despite the hot mess she normally is these days. But I guess that is what it means to be a fan. Does anyone else beside me find the "raw materials" comment kinda funny? (I just came from an Econs exam)
    Last edited by miki88; 10-07-2010 at 01:01 PM.

  11. #1466
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,630
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Mao's jumps appear to be a mess right now, I'm not sure she'll be a gold medal favorite this year at Worlds. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ando, Nagasu, Kostner, Lepisto at the top of the World's podium this season.
    Mao's jumps were a mess at this time last year too. I would most certainly not count her out. Kostner? Am I missing something? Has she given a good performance or something lately? If there is any lady I'd dare to count out it would be her, unless I'm missing something.

  12. #1467
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I am always baffled by Silverlake's staunch belief in Kostner's abilities despite the hot mess she normally is these days. But I guess that is what it means to be a fan. Does anyone else beside me find the "raw materials" comment kinda funny? (I just came from an Econs exam)
    I think silverlake likes Caro and hopes she will win Euros again because she is against Laura and still mad that Laura beat Miki at Worlds last season.
    Plus, Caro is tall so it is fun guessing her height

    Speaking of raw materials I don't think Miki is too old and I rate her "raw materials" very highly - but some of her costumes are not my favorite.
    Last edited by janetfan; 10-07-2010 at 01:39 PM.

  13. #1468
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Mao's jumps were a mess at this time last year too. I would most certainly not count her out. Kostner? Am I missing something? Has she given a good performance or something lately? If there is any lady I'd dare to count out it would be her, unless I'm missing something.
    You can never count Kostner out because you never know when she's going to deliver, and if she does deliver, her scores WILL be big. Plus her new FS looks gorgeous from the clips I've seen of it.

    But yes, secretly, I have this theory that this year, results are going to go haywire, and we'll see Verner and Abbott both on the men's podium at Worlds, and Gao and Kostner both on the ladie's podium at Worlds. The 3rd person in both cases can be a usual suspect like Joubert or Chan for the men and Kim or Asada for the ladiezz, but I'm really hoping things get shaken up.

  14. #1469
    she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    3,630
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    You can never count Kostner out because you never know when she's going to deliver, and if she does deliver, her scores WILL be big. Plus her new FS looks gorgeous from the clips I've seen of it.

    But yes, secretly, I have this theory that this year, results are going to go haywire, and we'll see Verner and Abbott both on the men's podium at Worlds, and Gao and Kostner both on the ladie's podium at Worlds. The 3rd person in both cases can be a usual suspect like Joubert or Chan for the men and Kim or Asada for the ladiezz, but I'm really hoping things get shaken up.
    Wow, Gao?? Well, you never know. These predictions are fun. I predict Alissa will win the Grand Prix finals, nationals AND worlds.

  15. #1470
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,527
    To make my previous comment a little more concrete, how about this: Does she want to make like Katarina Witt, or like Sarah Hughes? I mean that with all due respect to the three ladies.

Page 98 of 197 FirstFirst ... 48 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 148 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •