Yuna Kim | Page 98 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim

Thanks so much for the link. It was great to watch the ceremony. Looks as if someone's posted a lot of the RAI coverage on YouTube--maybe it's just ladies' competition because of Carolina, but that's more than I've had access to right there.

Does anyone know anything about Miki's popularity in Japan? It seems as if she's always under the radar compared to Mao and other Japanese superstars.

As lowtherlore said, YuNa seems quite tall. Is it possible she's grown some more, or was she this height last season? It's a bit late for a girl to grow, but with athletes you can never tell, because they might mature later due to their diets and strenuous exercise.

Last edited:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Posted this on the Ladies' LP thread b/c they were discussing the medal ceremony a bit, but I has Yuna discussed her plans moving forward?

From the fact that this season's "Homage to Korea" program was meant as a "thank you" to her fans, and that she was crying (but not visibly sad or happy), I gathered that she was crying because it was her last competition, but I'm not hearing any confirmation of this.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Posted this on the Ladies' LP thread b/c they were discussing the medal ceremony a bit, but I has Yuna discussed her plans moving forward?

From the fact that this season's "Homage to Korea" program was meant as a "thank you" to her fans, and that she was crying (but not visibly sad or happy), I gathered that she was crying because it was her last competition, but I'm not hearing any confirmation of this.

I heard that she cried just because she could stand on the podium after the hardships (I'm guessing referring to last year's Orser breakup, her move to a new country, etc) she went through last year. I mean, this really was a turbulent year for her emotionally... I remember in an interview, Peter remarked about how Yu-na hadn't really smiled until David visited her in October :(

Layfan

Record Breaker
I heard that she cried just because she could stand on the podium after the hardships (I'm guessing referring to last year's Orser breakup, her move to a new country, etc) she went through last year. I mean, this really was a turbulent year for her emotionally... I remember in an interview, Peter remarked about how Yu-na hadn't really smiled until David visited her in October :(

Yeah, I doubt Yuna has ruled out competing. I don't see why she wouldn't take time to consider it.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Yeah, I doubt Yuna has ruled out competing. I don't see why she wouldn't take time to consider it.

I sometimes feel selfish because I hope she won't stop competing until Sochi... especially now that I've seen Arirang and just see so much potential to it. Was it skated to its best? No, far from it. But even then, I could see sparks of brilliance and if performed to its fullest, feel like it could be a masterpiece. Kind of like Lark Ascending (another program I wish she could somehow revive) at Worlds 2007; if only she wasn't injured....

Figga

Rinkside
Let's get real. Disappointment in herself/frustration was a big part of it. Of course, the emotional ride this season and relief at actually getting on the podium also played a part. It was a combination of all those things. I do sense that Yu-Na is very emotional, almost impulsive. She probably would have cried after winning gold.

I do agree with those who say she should have at leasted tested out her programs at 4CC. Bad move, YuNa. If she competed this season, she probably would have kicked butt and even won this worlds. I hope she doesn't mention an ankle injury or whatever, it'll just come off like a lame excuse even if true.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Let's get real. Disappointment in herself/frustration was a big part of it. Of course, the emotional ride this season and relief at actually getting on the podium also played a part. It was a combination of all those things. I do sense that Yu-Na is very emotional, almost impulsive. She probably would have cried after winning gold.

I do agree with those who say she should have at leasted tested out her programs at 4CC. Bad move, YuNa. If she competed this season, she probably would have kicked butt and even won this worlds. I hope she doesn't mention an ankle injury or whatever, it'll just come off like a lame excuse even if true.

An ankle injury was mentioned but not by Yu-na, by her mother after the gala (because she looked really pained at tha gala). Yu-na herself didn't make any excuses for herself. And maybe there's disappointment mixed in and other factors but we don't really know, especially considering how quiet she was up until Worlds. Thus for now I'll take her word and not speculate further.

Krislite

Medalist

Impulsive? God. Considering what she's committed herself to do since she was a child, and has continued to do even after her Olympic victory, I would hardly describe her as impulsive.

Nadia01

Final Flight

Impulsive? Yuna?

What does that make somebody like Mirai? Bipolar?

cooper

Medalist
Yuna just arrived in Seoul and said she will not participate at GP series but..

Last edited:

Lilith11

On the Ice
Yuna just arrived in Seoul and said she will not participate at GP series but..

I don't believe she's made any definitive statements yet... though idk, read that if she does skip GP, she will do 4CC's if she goes to worlds at all next season.

Think she's still contemplating it though...but she did release a positive-sounding statement that she condition's improving so that's helping her will to compete as an athlete :3

L

lowtherlore

It's not surprising given her commitments for IOC presentations scheduled in May and July, she would have little time to get herself ready for the GP series.

For her programs, I liked her LP better than her SP at Worlds, but I wish her to prepare a new long program. While it would be great to see her perform it clean sometime, we would have chances to see Arirang in modified version at her shows this summer. I feel a new program would be better for her competition use because, as much as I love her Arirang, she doesn't need additional self-imposed pressure to skate it clean, with it being the "tribute" to her fans and her country. I wish her freer from pressure/burdens, if it's possible at all.

Lilith11

On the Ice
It's not surprising given her commitments for IOC presentations scheduled in May and July, she would have little time to get herself ready for the GP series.

For her programs, I liked her LP better than her SP at Worlds, but I wish her to prepare a new long program. While it would be great to see her perform it clean sometime, we would have chances to see Arirang in modified version at her shows this summer. I feel a new program would be better for her competition use because, as much as I love her Arirang, she doesn't need additional self-imposed pressure to skate it clean, with it being the "tribute" to her fans and her country. I wish her freer from pressure/burdens, if it's possible at all.

My desire to see Arirang is unfortunately, selfish. I just think there's so much potential in it to become a masterpiece that would exceed Gershwin that I can't help but wish to see it skated clean and to perfection... kind of like w/Lark Ascending. Even not performed to its max, I saw glimpses of pure beauty shining through. It's an uncut gem that I just want to see polished to brilliance.

That is of course, a selfish wish on my behalf. In fact, I'll be highly grateful if she continues competing at all... I mean considering all the pressure that's always on her young shoulders, how long she's carried it, and her accomplishments, she more than deserves a nice long break if not outright retirement. Heck, I don't think I could have lasted a year w/out a breakdown in her skates.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Update on Yuna:

- Yuna will mostly likely continue to compete. She says physically, she is growing stronger.
- However, Yuna will be heavily committed to Pyeongchang Winter Olympic bid, including attending bidding presentations in May (Switzerland) and July (South Africa), and that will keep her away from participating in next season's Grand Prix.
- However, Yuna will mostly likely participate in 4CC and the Worlds. Yuna basically admitted that she would have benefited from participating in 4CC before the Worlds.
- Yuna felt some pain in her right ankle before LP, but Yuna said that it was not serious as to affect her performance. In other words, it had nothing to do with her performance. However, after the LP and before the gala, the pain grew stronger, and Yuna had to take a painkiller. The effect of the painkiller, however, was very strong, and that seriously affected her gala performance.

Overall, she is in very good mood and I think we can expect a fantastic ice show this weekend!! (Can't wait for FEVER!)

dlgpffps

Final Flight
- However, Yuna will mostly likely participate in 4CC and the Worlds. Yuna basically admitted that she would have benefited from participating in 4CC before the Worlds.

Smart. If she does decide to continue, I hope she keeps true to this.

figurejennah

On the Ice
First, I am so happy to hear that Yuna had returned to her country safely, and that she is considering of competing again next season!!!!!!!!!!

Second..., I was just browsing through the forum, and I saw that someone posted this link about
Yuna's former designer making Mao's new costume. What do you all think about it?

http://www.yubijoux.com/?p=257

To be honest, I am a little bit upset to see this article because I know how badly yuna was bashed out
after her split with Orser. In his interview, Orser clearly made it sound like Yuna's mother was the one
who had caused this split, and to me, it sounded like he was portraying them as some ungrateful duos. (http://www.thestar.com/sports/olymp...ist-distraught-as-coaching-controversy-swirls)

I am not saying that the designer had to make costumes for yuna only and I am very well aware that she designed many beautiful costumes for other skaters. However, seeing this article confirms my belief that Yuna probably shouldn't have received such criticisms for spliting up with Orser. Orser did admit that he was approached by Mao after the olympics to coach her, and seeing that Yuna's designer made a new costume for Mao proves that Mao trying to reach out to Orser and the dream team had played a major role in the yuna-orser split. Also, I am so greatful that Wilson stayed with Yuna after all that. (And I think Wilson staying with Yuna proves that despite what others said she wasn't such an ungrateful person).

I don't know. If Yuna had asked Tarasova to come coach her instead of Mao right after the end of the season, and also tried to get her costumes designed from Mao's costume designers, I think it would have caused some controversy as well.

Last edited:

Cerulean

Rinkside
First, I am so happy to hear that Yuna had returned to her country safely, and that she is considering of competing again next season!!!!!!!!!!

Second..., I was just browsing through the forum, and I saw that someone posted this link about
Yuna's former designer making Mao's new costume. What do you all think about it?

http://www.yubijoux.com/?p=257

To be honest, I am a little bit upset to see this article because I know how badly yuna was bashed out
after her split with Orser. In his interview, Orser clearly made it sound like Yuna's mother was the one
who had caused this split, and to me, it sounded like he was portraying them as some ungrateful duos. (http://www.thestar.com/sports/olymp...ist-distraught-as-coaching-controversy-swirls)

I am not saying that the designer had to make costumes for yuna only and I am very well aware that she designed many beautiful costumes for other skaters. However, seeing this article confirms my belief that Yuna probably shouldn't have received such criticisms for spliting up with Orser. Orser did admit that he was approached by Mao after the olympics to coach her, and seeing that Yuna's designer made a new costume for Mao proves that Mao trying to reach out to Orser and the dream team had played a major role in the yuna-orser split.

I don't know. If Yuna had asked Tarasova to come coach her instead of Mao right after the end of the season, and also tried to get her costumes designed from Mao's costume designers, I think it would have caused some controversy/conspiracy as well.

If that's the designer that was responsible for the atrocity that Mao wore during the WC then it's clear that he/she doesn't like her very much. Why else would you want to put your star in a getup like that. *shakes head*