Italian Championship | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Italian Championship

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Poor Carolina!

:cry:

I hope she can do her best at Europeans in order to win the gold medal and to go to the Olympics!

But I'm happy for Valentina!

:biggrin:

Go Carolina!

ae9177

On the Ice
Good job Samuel and Valentina! :clap:

I hope Caro will bring her A game at Euros. If she can finish higher than Val, she still has a shot at the Olympics, otherwise, the ticket to Vancouver will go to Val, that's the way it is.

Shaba22

Final Flight
LADIES
1 Valentina MARCHEI ITA 163,30 1 1
2 Carolina KOSTNER ITA 155,68 2 2
3 Alice GARLISI ITA 128,89 3 4
4 Francesca RIO ITA 123,93 4 3
5 Silvia LOVISON ITA 116,38 7 6
6 Roberta RODEGHIERO ITA 115,75 8 5
7 Alice VELATI ITA 114,57 6 7
8 Sofia CURCI ITA 102,17 9 8
9 Deborah SACCHI ITA 97,50 5 10
10 Elena VANZ ITA 88,15 10 9

Shaba22

Final Flight
ICE DANCE

1 Federica FAIELLA / Massimo SCALI ITA 198,00 1 1 1
2 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LA NOTTE ITA 187,62 2 2 2
3 Federica TESTA / Christopher MIOR ITA 152,94 3 3 3

Wrlmy

Medalist
Good job Samuel and Valentina! :clap:

I hope Caro will bring her A game at Euros. If she can finish higher than Val, she still has a shot at the Olympics, otherwise, the ticket to Vancouver will go to Val, that's the way it is.

That might be the way it should be, but do you think it will happen?
I'm not sure about the selection process of the Italian fed, but if they take into account past results as some other federations do, it doesn't bode well for Val.

Hiara80

On the Ice
1. Samuel CONTESTI SCC [ITA] – 231,01
2. Paolo BACCHINI [ITA] – 200,45
3. Karel ZELENKA [ITA] – 190,06
4. Paul Bonifacio PARKINSON [ITA] – 152,86
5. Ruben ERRAMPALLI [ITA] – 148,49
6. Saverio GIACOMELLI [ITA] – 139,00
7. Fabio MASCARELLO [ITA] – 135,60
8. Christian RAPIS [ITA] – 119,35
9. Luca DEMATTÈ [ITA] – 117,64

SamuraiKike

Medalist
If Vale beats Kostner again at Euros by a reasonable margin.. she should go.. Im not counting on it though.. Caro still has a much much bigger (undeserved IMO) international reputation.

berrycute

On the Ice
It's such a strange situation, ideally both Caro and Valentina would go but Caro did loose that second spot last year at Worlds :( It would be very sad if Caro were not at the Olympics, but she seriously needs to improve NOW to get there!!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Vale beats Kostner again at Euros by a reasonable margin.. she should go.. Im not counting on it though.. Caro still has a much much bigger (undeserved IMO) international reputation.

I don't think her reputation is undeserved at all. The fleeting moments when Caro is on, she can compete anywhere in the world with anybody in the world. She has amazing skating skills even though her jumps often fail her. Her basic skating is just as good as Yu-Na Kim's and Joannie Rochette's. She commands the ice with her long, speedy edges and powerful ice coverage and she moves with such grace and flowing line. She has wonderful presence, musical interpretation and choreography, a likable personality, and a beautiful smile on the ice too. Her misfortunes are her competition's saving grace because if she were not struggling right now, she would be on just about every podium imaginable, and deservedly so given all her terrific qualities. JMO, of course. She reminds me of Nicole Bobek when she was still competing, seemingly lost and capable of so much more than she is able to produce under pressure. I wish she could rediscover her lost confidence . . . it's really unfortunate. :frown:

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
^ She has the best spiral sequence and some of the best footwork as well.
But given her jump content this year, can she really compete with Kim? What happened to her lutz? Why does her loop look so labored when it used to be her best jump? I don't know why Frank worked on changing her jump entrance techniques, but I think he might have cost her so many medals. At this point, I'm not even sure she can compete with Flatt.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I'm really upset about Caro having a meltdown. I've always found huge artistic qualities in her skating but her programs were usually boring and didn't nring out her potential. This year herprograms really suite her but it's the year things go wrong technically!

Phoenix347

Final Flight
What's even more surprising (to me at least) is that Valentina won with somewhat unattractive make up and costume (IMO). Maybe it was just due to bad photography. Carolina did seem to look better, at least. Interesting that the nationals were held in Brescia. I've been to Brescia before but I never knew that it's an important city for figure skating in Italy.

Wicked

Final Flight
I thought going to Frank was supposed to be an improvement for Caro? What is going on?

npavel

On the Ice
What's even more surprising (to me at least) is that Valentina won with somewhat unattractive make up and costume (IMO). Maybe it was just due to bad photography. Carolina did seem to look better, at least. Interesting that the nationals were held in Brescia. I've been to Brescia before but I never knew that it's an important city for figure skating in Italy.
Not to take away anything from her, but it was Valentinas Ice club to organize the national campionships. Valentina had the jumps here, not in Merano (Carolina won by 30 points there) and at all the other competitions she has done, her best scorage was lower than Caros best.

Last edited:

Shaba22

Final Flight
CAROLINA KOSTNER (best 184.68 )
TEB (oct. 15-18.) 147.63 (6.)
CoC (oct. 29-nov. 1.) 154.18 (6.)
Merano Cup (nov. 13-14.) 167,40 (1.)
Italian Championship (dec. 17-20.) 155,68 (2.)

VALENTINA MARCHEI (best 153.60)
Finlandia Trophy (oct. 8-11.) 136.55 (8.)
Ice Challenge (oct. 28-nov 1.) 157.79 (2.)
Coupe Internationale de la ville Nice (nov. 4-8.) 143.33 (2.)
Merano Cup (nov. 13-14.) 135,55 (3.)
NRW Trophy (dec. 3-6.) 158.93 (1.)
Italian Championship (dec. 17-20.) 163,30 (1.)

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
Valentina had the jumps here, not in Merano (Carolina won by 30 points there) and at all the other competitions she has done, her best scorage was lower than Caros best.

I was in Merano and I can say that both didn't have a clean SP, but Valentina's fall on the first jump (lutz, if I remember correcly) was very hurting, and I think that this fact may have influenced her skates in the LP. Caro's instead skated very well in the LP, not all clean and perfect, but it was a great performance and here she earned the 30 points. I don't think you can directly compare their results in Merano, why it was a combination of Caro's best and Vale's worst competition.
The same for the nats.

Unfortunately, Euro's will be deciding and that will put a lot of extra pressure on both of them, so that really all can happen...