Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which Skaters/Teams Get the Second Ticket To The Olympics?

Custom Title
    My preferences would be Langlois/Hay, Shawn Sawyer, Cynthia Phaneuf and Weaver-Poje. It will most likely end up being Duhamel/Buntin, Chipeur, Phaneuf and Crone-Poirier.

Custom Title
    I want Amelie Lacoste to go instead of Cynthia. Phanuef is very tall which leads to inconsistency, and after she fell 4 times at SC and did not do very well at worlds either I am very afraid she will bomb at the Olympics. Amelie is very sturdy and muscular and has good jumps overall, she is not one to fall or UR a lot and usually lands most of her triples. I don't worry about her bombing like I do Cynthia. I actually think Amelie is quite a good skater, maybe not as graceful and polished as some of the top ladies, but I like her athleticism and musicality.

Moving up the testing structure Kypma's Avatar
    I'm so torn on whom I'd like to see at the Olympics... other than the obvious favourites (Joannie, Patrick, Jess & Bryce, Tessa & Scott ()), there are so many choices for only 2 spots (1 if we remove the above 4 skaters/teams)!

I don't have any opinion on the men yet (no one really has been outstanding, not even Patrick so far! Although I fell in love with Shawn's Amadeus LP at last year's Skate Canada International... and again this year at Skate America!), but for ladies I'd like to see Amélie Lacoste go. She's steadily been improving and I think that although Cynthia is a former national champion, she falls several times per performance and I think Amélie has done better than her this year (technically, Amélie was superior at Skate Canada where they both competed, so I think now it's just reputation PCS that Amélie is missing, and even then not by much!). It comes down to Nationals, but if Cynthia falls 4 times in her LP again and Amélie puts down a solid program, then I think the latter should go (if the judging is fair, which is generally is, final-placement-wise).

As for pairs, I'm so ridiculously torn. All 3 top pairs should have a spot, and a case could even be made for Mylène Brodeur and John Mattatall, since they were in the top 10 at their first Worlds last year. Barring a disaster, Jess and Bryce are a lock, but beyond that it's almost anyone's game -- whoever brings it on that day (though, if another pair or even Brodeur and Mattatall are second, Skate Canada may pass them over for another of the usual top 3). Meagan and Craig have worked so hard these past few years and I think a main reason why Craig continued after Valérie's retirement is that he wanted to skate in the Olympics in his home province, so it would be a shame for them to miss out on this opportunity due to Meagan's unfortunate injury at Skate America. On the other hand, Anabelle and Cody missed last season due to her injury and so far this year they've been strong, so it would be a shame for them to miss the Olympic team again while being so close (they were 4th in 2006 in their first year together). In both cases, one partner (Craig and Anabelle) is old enough that I suspect they'll retire after this season, so it's such a shame to see one of them miss competing in the home Olympics. For two years in a row, Canada has had all 3 of its pairs teams in the top 10 (top 8 (!) in 2008) at the World Championships, which makes it even more unfortunate that there are only 2 spots for the Olympics.

In dance, again, there are 2 teams battling it out for one spot. I'll admit I love Kaitlyn and Andrew's free dance (the music cut is gorgeous and emphasizes more of a softness in the Phamtom as opposed to the power in Meryl and Charlie's -- both good interpretations, but so different!), but at the same time is would be nice to send Vanessa and Paul because they're seen as the future in Canadian ice dance. However, I think Kaitlyn and Andrew may stay until Sochi as well so I'm not sure of the logic of sending Vanessa and Paul as the next team to shine -- 4 years is a long time, and, though Vanessa and Paul have the length of their partnership going for them, I think Kaitlyn and Andrew are starting to make a case for themselves after their bronze medal at Skate Canada International. Also, on a more personal side, I prefer Kaitlyn and Andrew's programs this year so far, so I'm a little partial. I loved Vanessa and Paul last year, but this year their programs just don't come get me as much.

Overall, I think I'll be happy if the team sent is the one that does best at Nationals, because, no matter what, there will be disappointments. As long as no one is out due to injury, that is.

My personal favourites:
    Ladies: Joannie and Amélie
    Dance: Tessa & Scott, Kaitlyn and Andrew (though if Vanessa and Paul earn their spot, fine by me)
    Men: Patrick and Shawn (though I admit I haven't been following anyone else closely)
    Pairs: Jessica and Bryce, and whoever does best at Nationals, I honestly can't decide!!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Agree with your original "locks" per discipline. Second ticket per Canadian Fed:

Ladies: Cynthia Phaneuf. My preference: Amelie Lacoste
    Men: Jeremy Ten. My preference: Shawn Sawyer
    Pairs: Duhamel & Buntin. My preference: Langlois/Hay
    Dance: Crone & Poirier. My preference: Weaver/Poje
    I have the same preferences, and the same fears that all my favorites will be left home.

I don't see the point of 'have a great future' when it comes to the Olympics. If the USA had that point of view, Matt Savoie and Paul Wylie would never have gone to the Olympics. Olympics don't determine spots for the following year. And the people with potential have a full season without Olympics to gain points and ISU placements. Just send the ones who skate the best at nationals.

I was very impressed with Moscovitch/Moore-Towers at Skate Canada, and hope they do well at Canadian Nationals!

Men: Shawn Sawyer Really hoping, he's a great guy.
    ladies: love Cynthia's skating but if she cannot land her jumps i hope for -amelie as she would need consistancy if she were to skate at olympics.
    Don't really mind which pair between D/B and L/H both good and about same level.
    Hoping for Crone and Poirier, something more unique about them.

Custom Title
    Olympic and worlds - MY WISH for the two spots:

MEN:
    Shawn Sawyer
    Patrick Chan

LADIES:
    Cynthia Phaneuf
    Joannie Rochette

PAIRS:
    Meagan Duhamel / Craig Buntin
    Jessica Dubé / Bryce Davison

ICE DANCE:
    Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje
    Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir

Custom Title
    Well, only 2 weeks to go
    Ladies:
    I have a soft spot for Cynthia for the women and hope she gets her head and her jumps together..........if not, then I hope Amelie gets to go as she has shown some consistency this year I feel.

[B]Men[B

Shawn's skating I've always enjoyed so I hope he does well. .......but if not then I really don't care.

Pairs

Doesn't matter.........Jess and Bryce of course, but the others all seem to be on an even scale...........it could be any of our teams???

Dance
    This one's going to be a heartbreaker, I'm afraid. I love Crone and Porier. They have so much talent and lots of difficullty in their programs. I also love to watch Weaver and Poje.......such beautiful looking people who are improving at an amazing rate. I was so impressed with them at Skate Canada. It really saddens me that one of these teams will be so disappointed.............I sure do wish we had 3 spots this year

n_halifax
    Men: Based on what I have seen so far this season, I would consider Patrick Chan a "favourite" to win the national title but not someone I think will be a shoo-in to make the top five at the Olympics by any stretch of the imagination. Let's hope for his sake hard work and training is paying off and he comes out like a Champion at Nationals. He has the talent. If I had my way, I'd be handing Shawn Sawyer a ticket to Vancouver - hands down. Whole package anyone? I would also be thrilled to see Vaughn Chipeur make the team. Jeremy Ten and Kevin Reynolds are both WAY too rough around the edges for my liking... but talented nonetheless. So crossing my fingers Shawn and Vaughn are on the podium with Patrick.

Ladies: What an interesting Nationals this should be... Joannie will win and to that. Miss Thing is just FANTASTIC! I think a lot of Cynthia Phaneuf and Amelie Lacoste both, but do not think it is inconceivable that either one of these talented ladies could win a silver medal... stranger things have happened... Diane Szmiett is another medal possibility... Mira Leung barely qualified and again is too rough around the edges for my liking in terms of basic skating skills and jump technique. I'd be surprised to see her in the top five. Another interesting point... guess who didn't even qualify? Remember the much hyped by Skate Canada Nicole Watt? She's still competing, just not doing too well.

Pairs: I would be happy to see Duhamel and Buntin OR Langlois and Hay make that second spot. Both of them are STRONG internationally competitive teams. That said, so are Brodeur and Mattatall.. don't count them out either... it's all about who puts out the best two programs really... I'm interested to see how some of the new partnerships work as well at Nationals.

Dance: Virtue and Moir's free dance is giving me chills and they haven't even skated it yet, so I think 'lock' is a great word in this case. I can predict somewhat confidently that Crone and Poirier will finish 2nd and Weaver and Poje 3rd... and I wish it was the other way around even though they are both very strong teams.

Rinkside
    At the Canadian Championship prior to the last Olympics,Virtue and
    Moir lost a spot by a fine margin to Wing and Lowe who had been trying to get on the Olympic team for a long time finally got to go.This year one of the top 3 teams will be staying home.Both teams are young and youth on their side have a chance in the next Olympic cycle

Men - I'm hoping it'll be Shawn and I think it will be Shawn from what I've seen so far this season. I don't think Jeremy really has much of a chance from what I've seen on the Grand Prix series. This isn't his year. If anyone takes the ticket from Shawn, it'll be Vaughn or Kevin. I do strongly fear that Kevin will take the ticket, which I see as a bad thing since he's still so young and doesn't have good artistry, while this may be Shawn's last chance and as someone else already says he has the total package (if he can land all his jumps!).

Ladies - I was thinking Cynthia Phaneuf for a long while but she hasn't seemed to have improved this season at all and is maybe doing worse than last year? I'm thinking that Amelie might take it now. It's sad if Cynthia doesn't make it since she's been second the last couple of years but honestly I'd be happy if either she or Amelie made it. I don't think Mira has much hope because of her poor results lately, and Skate Canada's dislike of her on top of that.

Pairs - I really think it will be Langlois and Hay, and I really want it to be them. I might be biased but I think that they still are stronger than Duhamel and Buntin and Duhamel and Buntin were only able to be the second best pair in Canada last year because Langlois and Hay were out of the season, injured. Remember, Langlois and Hay did win the championship even over Jessica and Bryce a few years back.

Dance - Even though I'd like Weaver and Poje to go, as I've enjoyed their free dance (didn't get to see many original dances) this season more than Crone and Poirier's, I think that Crone and Poirier might get it, by just a bit. They HAVE been more successful in the last year.. but who knows.. all I know is it'll be a close race. Too bad there aren't three spots, but too bad there aren't three spots in every discipline for us!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by n_halifax View Post
    Another interesting point... guess who didn't even qualify? Remember the much hyped by Skate Canada Nicole Watt? She's still competing, just not doing too well.

Though you're right about the "hype", wasn't Watt pushed to an early retirement due to her juvenile arthritis, and then just within the last couple of years, the arthritis more under control or in remission(?), decided to compete again, with modified and modest goals given her lost training years and the other things she's decided to do with her life in the interim, but out of a pure love of the sport?
    Not that I know the girl, but this is what I have read..
    She was a bit overhyped, sure, since this was before Joannie's time and the Canadian media was desperate to find a female star (and probably also liked to push the "against all odds!" angle of her story)... but still, I applaud the girl. Past hype is irrelevant.
    Last edited by amateur; 01-03-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Custom Title
    Amateur agree wrt Nicole Watt.

Nicole is to be admired to stick to skating for the love of it despite her great physical problems.

Nicole's best competitive days were before the new judging system came in. Nicole at least in those days always went for her jumps and managed to stand up ( even if they were almost always cheated).

During Nicole's best years , Skate Canada looked for anyone who went for the jumps and stood up. It did not matter to Skate Canada if the jumps were underrotated as the Canadian ladies scene was at its lowest point at that time.

n_halifax
    Quote Originally Posted by nadster View Post
    Amateur agree wrt Nicole Watt.

Nicole is to be admired to stick to skating for the love of it despite her great physical problems.

Nicole's best competitive days were before the new judging system came in. Nicole at least in those days always went for her jumps and managed to stand up ( even if they were almost always cheated).

During Nicole's best years , Skate Canada looked for anyone who went for the jumps and stood up. It did not matter to Skate Canada if the jumps were underrotated as the Canadian ladies scene was at its lowest point at that time.
    I'm sorry if I came across as making light of the fact that she didn't qualify for Nationals - I do applaud her continuing the sport out of the sheer love for it however my beef wasn't with her but with the Skate Canada judges DURING her 'best years' for rewarding really poor technique. I would have rather they heralded skaters who could at least properly execute 1-2 triples than skaters with a full arsenal of really badly cheated ones. But that was the name of the game at point in time - I agree.

Rinkside
    Men: I think if Shawn Sawyer can land his 3A at Canadians he should have the 2nd spot for the Olympics. IMO he's a very good artist on the ice.

Ice dance: I like both Weaver & Poje and Crone & Poirier, but I would prefer to see W&P going to the Olympics. I really like their programs this season. I think it will be very interresting to watch ice dance at the nationals, cause it won't have a big gap between these two teams.

Couples: I hope Duhamel & Buntin will have that spot. I really like this team since they started to compete together.

Ladies: I think Cynthia Phaneuf has the best chance if she stakes well.

On the Ice
    Ladies
    Don't forget Myriane Samson who had a great season this far (apart from her summer competition). She has consistently landed 5 triples in competition & finished 4th at Finlandia trophy in a strong field. I know she has worked a lot on her work ethic and training since moving to Manon Perron's team so results and consistency are now showing off. We'll see in time what the outcome will be, but she sure can deliver a great performance too and she's not that far from Lacoste...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast