Which Skaters/Teams Get the Second Ticket To The Olympics? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which Skaters/Teams Get the Second Ticket To The Olympics?

Shaba22

Final Flight
Olympic and worlds - MY WISH for the two spots:

MEN:
Shawn Sawyer
Patrick Chan

LADIES:
Cynthia Phaneuf
Joannie Rochette

PAIRS:
Meagan Duhamel / Craig Buntin
Jessica Dubé / Bryce Davison

ICE DANCE:
Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje
Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir

Ravensque

On the Ice
Well, only 2 weeks to go :clap:
Ladies:
I have a soft spot for Cynthia for the women and hope she gets her head and her jumps together..........if not, then I hope Amelie gets to go as she has shown some consistency this year I feel.

Men[B

Shawn's skating I've always enjoyed so I hope he does well. :yes:.......but if not then I really don't care.

Pairs

Doesn't matter.........Jess and Bryce of course, but the others all seem to be on an even scale...........it could be any of our teams???:confused:

Dance
This one's going to be a heartbreaker, I'm afraid. I love Crone and Porier. :bow: They have so much talent and lots of difficullty in their programs. I also love to watch Weaver and Poje..:rock:.....such beautiful looking people who are improving at an amazing rate. I was so impressed with them at Skate Canada. It really saddens me that one of these teams will be so disappointed.............I sure do wish we had 3 spots this year :cry:

N

n_halifax

Men: Based on what I have seen so far this season, I would consider Patrick Chan a "favourite" to win the national title but not someone I think will be a shoo-in to make the top five at the Olympics by any stretch of the imagination. Let's hope for his sake hard work and training is paying off and he comes out like a Champion at Nationals. He has the talent. If I had my way, I'd be handing Shawn Sawyer a ticket to Vancouver - hands down. Whole package anyone? I would also be thrilled to see Vaughn Chipeur make the team. Jeremy Ten and Kevin Reynolds are both WAY too rough around the edges for my liking... but talented nonetheless. So crossing my fingers Shawn and Vaughn are on the podium with Patrick.

Ladies: What an interesting Nationals this should be... Joannie will win and :clap: to that. Miss Thing is just FANTASTIC! :) I think a lot of Cynthia Phaneuf and Amelie Lacoste both, but do not think it is inconceivable that either one of these talented ladies could win a silver medal... stranger things have happened... Diane Szmiett is another medal possibility... Mira Leung barely qualified and again is too rough around the edges for my liking in terms of basic skating skills and jump technique. I'd be surprised to see her in the top five. Another interesting point... guess who didn't even qualify? Remember the much hyped by Skate Canada Nicole Watt? She's still competing, just not doing too well.

Pairs: I would be happy to see Duhamel and Buntin OR Langlois and Hay make that second spot. Both of them are STRONG internationally competitive teams. That said, so are Brodeur and Mattatall.. don't count them out either... it's all about who puts out the best two programs really... I'm interested to see how some of the new partnerships work as well at Nationals.

Dance: Virtue and Moir's free dance is giving me chills and they haven't even skated it yet, so I think 'lock' is a great word in this case. I can predict somewhat confidently that Crone and Poirier will finish 2nd and Weaver and Poje 3rd... and I wish it was the other way around even though they are both very strong teams.

margiemo

Rinkside
At the Canadian Championship prior to the last Olympics,Virtue and
Moir lost a spot by a fine margin to Wing and Lowe who had been trying to get on the Olympic team for a long time finally got to go.This year one of the top 3 teams will be staying home.Both teams are young and youth on their side have a chance in the next Olympic cycle

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

Men - I'm hoping it'll be Shawn and I think it will be Shawn from what I've seen so far this season. I don't think Jeremy really has much of a chance from what I've seen on the Grand Prix series. This isn't his year. If anyone takes the ticket from Shawn, it'll be Vaughn or Kevin. I do strongly fear that Kevin will take the ticket, which I see as a bad thing since he's still so young and doesn't have good artistry, while this may be Shawn's last chance and as someone else already says he has the total package (if he can land all his jumps!).

Ladies - I was thinking Cynthia Phaneuf for a long while but she hasn't seemed to have improved this season at all and is maybe doing worse than last year? I'm thinking that Amelie might take it now. It's sad if Cynthia doesn't make it since she's been second the last couple of years but honestly I'd be happy if either she or Amelie made it. I don't think Mira has much hope because of her poor results lately, and Skate Canada's dislike of her on top of that.

Pairs - I really think it will be Langlois and Hay, and I really want it to be them. I might be biased but I think that they still are stronger than Duhamel and Buntin and Duhamel and Buntin were only able to be the second best pair in Canada last year because Langlois and Hay were out of the season, injured. Remember, Langlois and Hay did win the championship even over Jessica and Bryce a few years back.

Dance - Even though I'd like Weaver and Poje to go, as I've enjoyed their free dance (didn't get to see many original dances) this season more than Crone and Poirier's, I think that Crone and Poirier might get it, by just a bit. They HAVE been more successful in the last year.. but who knows.. all I know is it'll be a close race. Too bad there aren't three spots, but too bad there aren't three spots in every discipline for us!!

amateur

Final Flight
Another interesting point... guess who didn't even qualify? Remember the much hyped by Skate Canada Nicole Watt? She's still competing, just not doing too well.

Though you're right about the "hype", wasn't Watt pushed to an early retirement due to her juvenile arthritis, and then just within the last couple of years, the arthritis more under control or in remission(?), decided to compete again, with modified and modest goals given her lost training years and the other things she's decided to do with her life in the interim, but out of a pure love of the sport?
Not that I know the girl, but this is what I have read..
She was a bit overhyped, sure, since this was before Joannie's time and the Canadian media was desperate to find a female star (and probably also liked to push the "against all odds!" angle of her story)... but still, I applaud the girl. Past hype is irrelevant.

Last edited:

nadster

Final Flight
Amateur agree wrt Nicole Watt.

Nicole is to be admired to stick to skating for the love of it despite her great physical problems.

Nicole's best competitive days were before the new judging system came in. Nicole at least in those days always went for her jumps and managed to stand up ( even if they were almost always cheated).

During Nicole's best years , Skate Canada looked for anyone who went for the jumps and stood up. It did not matter to Skate Canada if the jumps were underrotated as the Canadian ladies scene was at its lowest point at that time.

N

n_halifax

Amateur agree wrt Nicole Watt.

Nicole is to be admired to stick to skating for the love of it despite her great physical problems.

Nicole's best competitive days were before the new judging system came in. Nicole at least in those days always went for her jumps and managed to stand up ( even if they were almost always cheated).

During Nicole's best years , Skate Canada looked for anyone who went for the jumps and stood up. It did not matter to Skate Canada if the jumps were underrotated as the Canadian ladies scene was at its lowest point at that time.

I'm sorry if I came across as making light of the fact that she didn't qualify for Nationals - I do applaud her continuing the sport out of the sheer love for it however my beef wasn't with her but with the Skate Canada judges DURING her 'best years' for rewarding really poor technique. I would have rather they heralded skaters who could at least properly execute 1-2 triples than skaters with a full arsenal of really badly cheated ones. But that was the name of the game at point in time - I agree. :yes:

sadalou

Rinkside
Men: I think if Shawn Sawyer can land his 3A at Canadians he should have the 2nd spot for the Olympics. IMO he's a very good artist on the ice.

Ice dance: I like both Weaver & Poje and Crone & Poirier, but I would prefer to see W&P going to the Olympics. I really like their programs this season. I think it will be very interresting to watch ice dance at the nationals, cause it won't have a big gap between these two teams.

Couples: I hope Duhamel & Buntin will have that spot. I really like this team since they started to compete together.

Ladies: I think Cynthia Phaneuf has the best chance if she stakes well.

ChiquitaBanana

Rinkside
Ladies
Don't forget Myriane Samson who had a great season this far (apart from her summer competition). She has consistently landed 5 triples in competition & finished 4th at Finlandia trophy in a strong field. I know she has worked a lot on her work ethic and training since moving to Manon Perron's team so results and consistency are now showing off. We'll see in time what the outcome will be, but she sure can deliver a great performance too and she's not that far from Lacoste...

gopatrick

EnChanted
On the Ice
Men and Ladies has basically come down to whoever skates best (or doesn't melt as badly as the others) at nationals. All the contenders are kinda tied at the moment and unfortunately not in a good way, they've all struggled during the season. Maybe because of the pressure of being in your homecountry olympics. If I have to predict I'll say Reynolds in Men and Lacoste in ladies.

Pairs and Ice Dance is the total opposite. Two big and exciting battles : L/H vs D/B and W/P vs C/P. My heart is hoping for Annabelle and Cody to end their careers on a high note and WeaverPoje since this is likely their one and only chance. Crone Poirier will be a major force for the next quadrennial.

You almost spoke my mind, but I think Cynthia still has the edge if she is able to land one of her 3lz or 3F.

I'd like to see more the renewed Kevin too:agree:

Annabelle and Cody are more refined and finally bring out the chemistry within:love: It's unfortunate for Meagan's injury, it must be quite emotional for her.

For dance, I am torned between WP and CP, I love them both. I once said that WP are the most good looking couple in the present dance world, having the presence on ice. CP is a breeze of fresh air, technically strong and always innovative. However, I am leaning towards WP this term and absolutely agree CP will be a major force for 2014.

P.S. Here's the result for the Buzz Vote on SkateBuzz.ca as of Jan 10th, 2010.
Who will earn the spots to the Olympics?
Kevin Reynolds 30.25%
Shawn Sawyer 13.88%
Jeremy Ten 13.17%
Vaughn Chipeur 3.91%

Last edited:

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
Here is my prediction :)

Mens : Patrick Chan
Shawn Sawyer

Ladies : Joannie Rochette
Mira Leung

Pairs : Dubé / Davison
Duhamel / Buntin

Dance : Virtue / Moir
Weaver / Poje

dgel

On the Ice
One skater who hasn't been mentioned is Joey Russell- he's very much a long shot of course but he at least thinks he has a chance

http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=317840&sc=83

As he says in the article, if he skates 2 clean programmes- with a triple axel in each - he'll certainly put some pressure on the other contenders as he has good skating skills, choreography, and presents his programmes well. Still, it's one thing to land the 3-axel consistently in practice and quite another to do it in competition (just ask Shawn Sawyer), especially a competition with so much riding on it.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm just hoping that Joey places top 5 so he can get 4cc and some Sr. internationals next season. I love his skating and want him to stay around for awhile longer.

Tigger

Final Flight
Mine...

Men

Patrick and Shawn

Women

Joannie and Cynthia

Pairs

Jess and Bryce
Toss up between Megan and Craig and Annabelle and Cody. Will be happy w/either one, but slightly more happy for Megan and Craig since she's from the same area as I am and have been watching her skate for a very long time. So, bit of a bias there, but an understandable one IMO. :)

Dance

Tessa and Scott
Kaitlyn and Andrew ~ As much as I adore Vanessa and Paul's skating, I don't think their OD is helping them. The FD to me is completely different and has given me a constant case of chills whenever I've seen it, however one program does not a competition make. I think Kaitlyn and Andrew have the stronger OD and have the best of out of all the POTO programs this season. Especially love that they're using the Music Box version of Masquerade in their FD, as I've been wanting and waiting for someone or some team to use that in a POTO program for a very, very long time now and it's used beautifully by Kaitlyn and Andrew.

Regardless, this weekend's going to be an awful lot of fun!! :biggrin:

dance4u

Rinkside
The Men's event will be interesting. Patrick Chan, I hear is skating well and so is Vaughn Chipeur. It is unfortunate that injuries held both athletes from skating well at their Grand Prix events..Good luck to all. My bets are on Patrick and Vaughn for the 2 spots.