Who all is burried in ash? | Golden Skate

Who all is burried in ash?

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
I got up this morning around 9:00am. It was about 80 degrees out side at least it felt like 80 degrees. It was dry as could be. For the second day in a row my car is covered in ash. We live about 40 miles from the fires in San Bernadino. Don't bother dusting or vacuuming today either. Everything is covered in ash. I can write my name in the dust on the coffee table. All we could think of is this is ash from people homes and valuables. The green in the traffic light looks blue. I don't know why but it does. I went to a party for Halloween and looking into the street lamps, it looked like it was snow falling.
Daniel and Little Lulu

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Daniel-
I'm only getting slight amounts of ash falling, but the smoke is making its way towards me. All these fires are so awful:(

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Yes, all cars (mine included) have a layer of dust on them. It's just all too horrible. One of my agent friends has lost his home, two more have been evacuated. We're going to wake up every hour to check the news and make sure our area is still okay. Two of my friends nearby are doing the same, so if we decide to leave, we will all leave together. We can see fires in the distance, black smoke everywhere. I'm so deeply saddened for everyone who has lost a home or worse. I was not worried really until they mentioned on the news that the fire might jump over the 15 fwy into Vista and San Marcos. Suddenly I felt trapped since the 15 is my exit out of San Diego and over to the coastal freeway. Well, that has not happened, but I can't shake that sinking feeling.:rolleye: :cry:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
My heart just goes out to all of you.
Why don't you and your friends take turns and maybe get a little more sleep. One of you could take 2 am another 3 am, etc. Then they could each call the others if they need to take action.

Lanie

On the Ice
I'm in Simi Valley, and everything's covered in soot and ash from what we can see. It's been smoky and gloomy all day, with little bits of sunshine when the winds pushed the smoke away... I'm hoping this all stops soon. It's frightening! Looking out the window today it looked like it was snowing little grayish flakes. No school tomorrow due to the density of the smoke and threatened homes in Moorpark and Simi, since my high school is a magnet school that attracts people all over Ventura and LA Counties.

Oreo

On the Ice
I heard that everything even out in Catalina Island was covered with ash. All of you near the fire have my prayers; I went through the Laguna Beach fire ten years ago, and it's something you never forget.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
When I went outside this morning to run to the store, everything is covered in ash. There are patches of blue sky interspersed with huge patches of brown and grey. It's eerie outside. It smells of smoke. We've been advised to stay inside as much as possible. Schools are closed. Offices are closed. Right now they're worried about fires merging, creating an even bigger blaze.

Several people I know saved their Poway homes with garden hoses. Someone told me people were leaving the area on horseback, luggage in one hand, horse reins in the other.

I looked on our MLS (Multiple Listing Service) today, and one home was reported as "withdrawn--home burned down in the Scripps Ranch fire." It had been listed at over $1 million. Looking at the map, I'm horrified. I know at least three families who live within a couple of streets of that home. One friend, as I've mentioned, I know lost his home. It makes me so sad I could cry.

On a brighter note, several friends who were evacuated yesterday from the Escondido and Poway areas are being allowed to return to their homes. That's a good sign.

My business partner's husband had to chase off LOOTERS this morning! He cornered several of them until the police arrived on the scene. They were not youngsters; rather, they looked to be in their 20s. Unbelievable how people can be so cruel as to take advantage of someone else's misery.

Will keep you posted as events unfold.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
It's just terrible.

My mother-in-law just called and said she had to evacuate, she lives in Canoga Park.

My husband's business is closed.

So many people with homes that have burnt down.

My cousin lives in Claremont and was able to save his home but many on his street are gone.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
When the Big Lake fire happened in Interior Alaska the mushers that all live up there had a huge evacuation and all of their sled dogs were in harms way... most of them made it... but Iditarod Champ several times over Martin Buser lost some of his dogs... it was so sad because those dogs were part of his championship team and Alaskans knew them as well as many skating fans know(love) Michelle Kwan... it was so scary I had family up there

you all are in my prayers!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
As I make my way through this thread, my throat tightens and my eyes begin to tear.............I am hoping that the fires will soon be contained. I know what it is like to look up and see ash falling from the sky..............42

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
OMG

I live in Bonita (a few miles south of SD) and they haven't told us to evacuate, but my boss told me to stay in today because I have asthma. My friends got stuck in an area of SD called Jamul last night. To get out, they had to cross the Tecate border, and come back up through Tijuana and the I-5, which, was very congested.

Realtorgal, I'm happy for you that you haven't been evacuated, but I share in your distress of all the people I know who've had to leave their homes. Some don't know if they will have homes to go back to.

All right! I will be sharing my apt with anyone who needs a place to stay :)

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
What a weekend to go down there. I was lucky that after my original flight got cancelled (out of John Wayne) I was able to get another only a few hours later. So much ash, smoke, and destruction. Second time this year I've gone to a fire area - first in BC then SoCal. Not such a bright kid! Hopefully the winds will start coming from the ocean and the fire fighters will be able to get all the fires under control. I'm thinking of you all down there.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
You guys need our rain. I'd send it if I could. BC got flooded out in some areas. I heard on the news our fire fighters are sending some equipment down to help battle the blaze. We had some horrific fires here in the summer.

"Hang in there."

Lanie

On the Ice
Oh my God, that's so horrible. :( :eek:

I hope you're doing well, RGal.

The Simi Incident fire is moving into Chatsworth and threatening homes there, but it's still not officially left Simi from what I understand.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Today the smell of smoke is just awful. I forgot that one of our windows was open (!!) so I had to shut it because it was so bad in the house. Mr. RG works in Scripps Ranch, and he said that by the time he got INTO the building, his eyes were red and itchy and his throat hurt. RG Jr. and her friend (who slept over last night) were complaining of breathing issues, and they were coughing. I had to renew my inhaler prescription--an item I almost never use. Slowly people are trying to get back to work, although the kids are still not back at school due to poor air quality (talk about an understatement!).

I had to attend a termite inspection this a.m. on a house in escrow, and the inspector told me that they were not allowed to do any of the "tenting" for termites on those homes that were scheduled for this procedure because the gas co. won't allow them to turn off the main gas line. Instead of being understanding, he told me that some people were all bent out of shape because this would delay their escrows closing! Can you believe that? I told him to take these folks down to Scripps Ranch or one of the other areas devastated by the fire for a REALITY CHECK.
:eek: :confused:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Down by my house the smoke and smell is awful. Downstairs is worse then up stairs and my master bedroom seems to be the best place to be. The gargage is where our gym is, but it is so bad in there that you cannot breath.

The kids are home from school and we are trying to think of a good place to go, perhaps the mall or a movie.

How can people be worried about their escrows when people don't even have a house to go to? I have already had contractors cancel with their jobs at my house, but I just told them when things settle down give me a call and then we can fix what needs fixing.

RealtorGal- did you see the picture of Scripps Ranch in the newpaper today? Just terrible:(

eliza88

On the Ice
Oh those pictures are frightening!! I hope the winds die down and they get a handle on this soon! So so sad...

My thoughts are with you all down there...

eliza88

megsk8z

On the Ice
Just want to let you know I'm thinking about you and hoping for the best possible outcome for everyone out there. I used to live in California and well remember how half the sky would be smoky and the other half clear blue.....and that was a small fire.