Carolina Kostner might not be able to participate at the Olympic? | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner might not be able to participate at the Olympic?

macemace1980

Rinkside
This morning, I was at a bar to take a cup of coffee with my colleagues and there was newspaper there, on a sports page, there was an article said
"It might be impossible Carolina to be at Vancouver Olympic because there is another skater Valentina Marchei who is most likely a candidate for the Olympic games."

I was really shocked!

There were two pictures, one was Carolina fell on the ice, another one was Valentina looked powerful and better.

Does anyone know if Carolina will be able to be at the Olympic games or not?
If not, I will be really sad.

Last edited:

calica

Final Flight
Valentina should go to Vancuver because her results this season is better than Caro.
Of all forms, you wait because if Kostner had won the nats, the Italian federation would send her to Vancuver without doubting, but Marchei had win , they will wait for Tallin.

Programs of Kotsner in italian nat
http://www.youtube.com/user/Crysnelle#p/a/u/1/ZbSDEk7obfY

Wicked

Final Flight
I guess this really is a possibility, huh? Man, Euros just got even more interesting.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I guess this really is a possibility, huh? Man, Euros just got even more interesting.

Seems like Laura won Finnish Natls despite a bad LP.

I have no idea which Lady will win the European championship this year. :scratch:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Seems like Laura won Finnish Natls despite a bad LP.

I have no idea which Lady will win the European championship this year. :scratch:

Yeah I have no idea either. The European ladies are always so unpredictable! Laura won Euros last year with a 167 as her total score, so that clearly shows how at times the European ladies can be underwhelming.

I really hope Caro goes to the Olympics though she's such a lovely skater!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If Carolina continues to skate poorly at Euros she will not nor should not go to the olympics. She never was consistant, but has not even been decent in over a year. I hate to be harsh, but it seems as though the coaching change was just too late, this should have gone down 2 years ago and maybe by now she would have been a contendor for a medal at the olympics. Now she might not even go.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If Carolina continues to skate poorly at Euros she will not nor should not go to the olympics. She never was consistant, but has not even been decent in over a year. I hate to be harsh, but it seems as though the coaching change was just too late, this should have gone down 2 years ago and maybe by now she would have been a contendor for a medal at the olympics. Now she might not even go.

schiele

Final Flight

Agreed.. Too little too late. She's pulling a "Ponsero" all over the place now.. Such a shame that so talented skaters like Ponsero, Kostner or Verner fall victim to their nerves.
I think the whole thing is opening the door to Alena to step up for the medal at Euros.

Trewyn

Medalist
I would be very surprised if Alena *didn't* medal at Euros. She's pretty much set up to win it (the only European lady in the final). I love Carolina; I didn't like her winning silver in 2008 because her FS was so full of mistakes; but her SP at 2008 Worlds was gorgeous; and the more I watch her, the more I like her. She has such balletic lines, you wouldn't expect that from someone quite so tall (tall for a figure skater) and she's just not build very much like a typical ballerina; and yet those long arms and legs often create beautiful lines throughout her program. Her footwork sequences are often great too. But she's been so inconsistent. Her FS at 2009 Worlds was nothing short of complete disaster; I've never seen anyone bomb like that! I really, really hope she redeems herself at Euros; because if she's on and hits those triple-triples(-triples?); she's a contender for a medal!

schiele

Final Flight
Her FS at 2009 Worlds was nothing short of complete disaster; I've never seen anyone bomb like that!

How about Tomas' FS in 2008 Worlds? Isn't it interesting that both of their carreers are filled with bombfests and they were sharing the same training base and coach? :laugh::laugh:

adoreyuna

Rinkside
Carolina is so gorgeous and elegant like yuna. I was impressed by her power and ability in expressing her feeling by the excellent choreography at 2007 Worlds. She is unfortunately having trouble in her skating now. I don't know why she is, but I do hope that she will soon recover from this trouble.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I would be very surprised if Alena *didn't* medal at Euros. She's pretty much set up to win it (the only European lady in the final). I love Carolina; I didn't like her winning silver in 2008 because her FS was so full of mistakes; but her SP at 2008 Worlds was gorgeous; and the more I watch her, the more I like her. She has such balletic lines, you wouldn't expect that from someone quite so tall (tall for a figure skater) and she's just not build very much like a typical ballerina; and yet those long arms and legs often create beautiful lines throughout her program. Her footwork sequences are often great too. But she's been so inconsistent. Her FS at 2009 Worlds was nothing short of complete disaster; I've never seen anyone bomb like that! I really, really hope she redeems herself at Euros; because if she's on and hits those triple-triples(-triples?); she's a contender for a medal!

That's what frustrates me about her, when she's on, she's really good, medal contender at any competition good, and when she's off, it can be a disaster. She reminds me of a more extreme version of Czisny, who at least is a little more consistent, and at her best isn't quite as good (not a Olympic or World medal contender), and at her worst is not as devastating to watch (I don't think she's ever fallen more than 3 times in a freeskate and she's not one to double or single all her jumps).

I really hope she does well at Euros, competition there shouldn't be too stiff. Alena will most likely medal, and then there's Laura, but she can't be counted on to land more than 3-4 triples in the free. I guess Korpi, Gedevanishvilli, Glebova, are some potential spoilers for a medal, but they seem to be kind of hot and cold most of the time. It will be interesting to see what happens, if Carolina has a good night, I think she could win with a big margin, but if she doesn't, who knows what could happen :banging:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
How about Tomas' FS in 2008 Worlds? Isn't it interesting that both of their carreers are filled with bombfests and they were sharing the same training base and coach? :laugh::laugh:

Yes indeed I always thought it very interesting and thus was very happy when Carolina changed coaches this past summer. But I think she needed more time to concentrate on changing her problems, time she was not given in an Olympic year. This change should have occured long ago. Same with Verner. If he blows it in Vancouver, I would expect a drasic coaching change.

Wicked

Final Flight
I don't know much about Huth as a coach. Do you guys think his coaching has had an impact on Caro and Tomas having meltdowns or is it just their temperaments? Sometimes I think the mental game and the ability to be a competitor is something you either have or you don't. You can work on it but some people are just born that way.

ae9177

On the Ice
My bet is on Alena to win the Euros and Laura to medal. The third spot is wide open, but I'm rooting for Julia. Consistency is the key word in an Olympic year.

I have a twisted feeling for both Caro and Tomas, I truely love their skating, they both have tons of talent, but unfortunately they hardly ever skate to their potential (by far). The mental issue can't be fixed in short time, if you don't born with the steel nerves, it takes years and years of hard work to get there. A great coach can help, but can't do magic.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Ah, I truly hope she does make it, it honestly would not be the same without her.

When she's on, she's magical, nobody or nothing can touch her. I knew from the first time I saw her skate that she was a "diamond". Only problem is that diamond rarely gets a chance to shine, which is a shame.

Carolina has a regal presence reminscent of Lucinda Ruh & Oksana Baiul. All three stand 5'6" tall, with long elegant classical lines, perfect prima ballerina bodies. In fact, if they had gone into ballet instead of skating, their height & limbs would be an asset, as one cannot be less than 5'2" nor taller than 5'7". However, that is changing, nowadays even taller ballerinas are becoming the norm!

But back to skating & Carolina, she is a joy to watch skate when "on", I can only hope she's "on" at Euros & gets a chance to go to the Olympics, but she's going to have to earn it...