LADIES- Japanese Nationals (Senior) | Page 24 | Golden Skate

LADIES- Japanese Nationals (Senior)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Kanako looked a bit overwhelmed by the event. Mao was calm and her own self when she participated in senior nationals as a 15 yr old (she was aiming to land 2 3As and she did). But Kanako looked like a little guest here.:) Yet, it was great she still did what she did and placed as high as possible (just after Miki).:agree:
Kanako spent the whole season on the junior circut where Mao had competed in the Senior GP, won a silver and a gold, and won the GPF in the the months before her first senior nationals. I think she had very god reason to be confident!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Kanako spent the whole season on the junior circut where Mao had competed in the Senior GP, won a silver and a gold, and won the GPF in the the months before her first senior nationals. I think she had very god reason to be confident!

Haha very true. But Mao maybe had her best success earlier than is ideal, I think maybe Kanako will peak later like Yuna and be the next big thing. Plus Kanako looks a little more mature than Mao was at 15 so maybe she has already had her big growth spurt and won't have to go through that in the upcoming years as we have seen so many other skaters (Caroline, Mirai, Kimmie) struggle due to growth spurts and injuries resulting from them. I can't wait to see her at Jr. Worlds and the senior GP circuit next year!

miki88

Medalist
I heard that Mao's coach didn't come to her Nationals because she was busy with Russian Nationals. In my opinion, she really shouldn't keep a coach who doesn't come to support her at big events.

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
Kanako spent the whole season on the junior circut where Mao had competed in the Senior GP, won a silver and a gold, and won the GPF in the the months before her first senior nationals. I think she had very god reason to be confident![/QUOT

it's not a big problem,but actually Mao's first senior national was 2002, when she was a novice skater.then she did 3F-3Lo-3T(3Twas a little under-roated though)
3A(clearly under-roated) amazing jump layout! she won 7th. In 2003,she did 3Lz-3Lo(perfect for me),4S and 3A. she was 8th this time. of course she competed as a one senior skater from 2005.
i remember japan nationals in 2005 was hot competetion,too! i thought kanako is like mao in 2005.mao seemed to enjoy skating at that time and kanako seems to.

by the way,mao wants to attempt second jump as 3A-2T from interview.my thought is she should put 2A-3T and 3-3.

life684

Final Flight
I heard that Mao's coach didn't come to her Nationals because she was busy with Russian Nationals. In my opinion, she really shouldn't keep a coach who doesn't come to support her at big events.

Tarasova has made it clear that she is more of consultant rather than a coach hence she could skip it. i think it is tats assistant that is full time in japan

miki88

Medalist
Oh I see. That's too bad. I guess that could explain why she hasn't solved her jumping problems. I hope she gets a full fledged coach soon.

R.D.

Record Breaker
There's only one thing I'd like to know here: Did Asada attempt and land both her 3As at this event?

janetfan

Match Penalty
There's only one thing I'd like to know here: Did Asada attempt and land both her 3As at this event?

I am not sure what you are getting at - but Mao did a 3A in her SP that I believe was downgraded.
In her LP she attempted one 3A which I think was ratified.

I think Mao skated well enough at Japanese Natls to have won the GPF - based on what we saw from Yuna and Miki at the GPF. Reputation scoring basically kept Akiko from winning the GPF or even the GPF LP.

Like an earlier poster may have mentioned Mao wanted to skate well enough at Natls to come 1 or 2 and avoid any Olympic Team selection controversy.

I think she did more than enough to show she deserves a spot on the Japanese Olympic team. Other than that I can't say, but maybe a Japanese fan can shed more light on this.

For me, Mao is a truly wonderful skater. The fact that I am not a big fan of her programs this season doesn't mean much since I am not a judge or part of ISU.

I think Mao showed she will be a factor in Vancouver - and since she is skating at 4CC we will get to see her again before the Olympics. Without as much on the line at 4CC I think we will see what Mao will be planning to show at Vancouver.

All things considered - the way Yuna, Joannie and Miki skated this season even a subpar Mao should be in the mix for an Olympic medal.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I am not sure what you are getting at - but Mao did a 3A in her SP that I believe was downgraded.
In her LP she attempted one 3A which I think was ratified.

Ok, that's all I needed to know. Hmm, she attempted only 1 in the FS? That's probably the wiser thing to do.

shine

Record Breaker
Has Akiko said she'll retire after this Olympics? I really hope not! Gosh, I've loved her since seeing her at the 2002 4CC and she and Yukina Ota has always been my favourite Japanese ladies.... Her comeback story is so inspiring and I just want to see more of her!! IMO she definitely has more to give to the skating world.

MKFSfan

Medalist
Ok, that's all I needed to know. Hmm, she attempted only 1 in the FS? That's probably the wiser thing to do.

Mao planned to do one 3ax before the start of the LP, and replaced the 2nd 3ax with a 2a/2t. She wanted to go clean and have a better chance to secure her spot on the team.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Oh I see. That's too bad. I guess that could explain why she hasn't solved her jumping problems. I hope she gets a full fledged coach soon.

Tarasova is not known as a technical/jumping coach, so even if she was full time with Mao, Mao wouldn't likely be getting those jumps satisfactorily fixed anyway. I actually think Tarasova is correct about being more of a consultant than a coach, and can't fault her for not being in Japan when her highest priorities are elsewhere. Mao can't have it both ways....wanting to deal with a certain coach but not be willing to travel and train at the primary location of that coach. (Personally I don't think that even if Mao was willing to relocate, that Tarasova would be the best coach for her to chase.)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mao planned to do one 3ax before the start of the LP, and replaced the 2nd 3ax with a 2a/2t. She wanted to go clean and have a better chance to secure her spot on the team.

Thanks for the info. Good idea on her part.

herro

On the Ice
Hey guys,

So I know this may not be the right place to bring up talk of other non-Japanese skaters, but I have an honest question.

Let's say, at a hypothetical event, all of the Olympic medal threats skate their very best programs - the artistry that they planned and envisioned, as well as all of the jumps hit flawlessly. Among candidates like Asada, Kim, Suzuki, Ando, Rochette, Kostner, Flatt (am I forgetting any?) who do you guys think would come out on top?

Goodness, it's so clear that I can't wait that long for the Olympics to start. :p

miki88

Medalist
Is that a hypothetical question? :) Seems like you know the answer to that one. Well if the top contenders skate their best, then I don't think Flatt, Kostner, Suzuki will even have a chance. They're just not in the same level. Kim will win because the overall strength of her programs this season is just better than everyone else's. Mao is at an disadvantage due to her choice of choreagraphy and her jump layout. I don't think Ando can beat Kim even at her best honestly.

Nadia01

Final Flight

It was Mao's decision to train part-time with Tat. Why should Tat abandon her full-time students to be with someone who can't even bother to move to Russia to train full-time with her?

suosuo

Rinkside
It was Mao's decision to train part-time with Tat. Why should Tat abandon her full-time students to be with someone who can't even bother to move to Russia to train full-time with her?

I don't know there is full-time students under TAT now. And I think that TAT's main work during Russian National is commentary. I might be wrong.

And I don't know why TAT still wants to keep this part-time relationship with Mao even when she thinks this doesn't work. You know, relationship is mutual.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Is that a hypothetical question? :) Seems like you know the answer to that one. Well if the top contenders skate their best, then I don't think Flatt, Kostner, Suzuki will even have a chance. They're just not in the same level. Kim will win because the overall strength of her programs this season is just better than everyone else's. Mao is at an disadvantage due to her choice of choreagraphy and her jump layout. I don't think Ando can beat Kim even at her best honestly.

ITA.

Just looking at the TES potential from the jump layout, I think Yuna can score more than Mao, even if they get the same GOE / lvl & PCS.