LADIES- Japanese Nationals (Senior) | Page 19 | Golden Skate

LADIES- Japanese Nationals (Senior)

coconutpunch

Rinkside
The tech caller definitely went drunk for some of the level-calling. Thank goodness the final placements made sense.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Akiko got lvl 1 on her spiral & 2 for step (LP)

Thanks Nadia. As much as I like Akiko - I admit her spirals are not the best.
For me, Mao (and Shiz) are the only Japanese Ladies that have beautiful spiral positions.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Thanks Nadia. As much as I like Akiko - I admit her spirals are not the best.
For me, Mao (and Shiz) are the only Japanese Ladies that have beautiful spiral positions.

I agree, but Akiko should strive for Level 2 or 3 for her spiral IMHO. :) Lvl 1 is rather low...

janetfan

Match Penalty
I agree, but Akiko should strive for Level 2 or 3 for her spiral IMHO. :) Lvl 1 is rather low...

Yes, I agree with you about that. I just think Ladies spirals, once so beautiful are typically just a requirement that is performed for points and see very few that are beautiful anymore.

I appreciate that Yuna gets a level four - but don;t think there is anything special or beautiful about her spirals. That would be my feeling for most of the Ladies skating today.

I think Caroline, Alissa, Mirai and Mao have lovely positions - almost as nice as Sasha had. The rest - ughh.....wish they would make spirals optional rather than forcing me to see so many bad positions.

It is like a Cop billboard for showing what is missing and wrong with some of todays's skating. Points - and not soul - are what matter so that is what we see.

Bennett

Record Breaker
As much as I love Akiko's skating - her spirals are bleh. But so are Miki's.

To me, her spirals are okay, but spins are really worrysome. But her jumps and steps are great. Her skating skills are also great. Miki's spirals are better than Akiko's IMO.

BTW, who made the decision about Mao's 3A. It was a great choice! I wonder if Mao will stick to one 3A program at 4CC and Olympics. I hope she does!

I also think that her 3A combo can go from her SP. Combo is risky.

DragonPhoenix

On the Ice
akiko still lacks finishes, her limbs are not turned out, her arms flail about and the phrasing to the music is not there.

to be honest i would say nakano has the better polish and potential to get up the podium at vancouver compared to suzuki.

That sums up my view of Akiko as well.

Congratulations to all the medalists !!!

Feel sad for Yukari

Go Miki !!!!! :rock:

SamuraiKike

Medalist
Anyone have a link with the Olympic team announcement please?? have the worlds and 4cc teams being announced too??? please

Thomas_C

Rinkside
I am really sad that Nakano Yukari didn't manage to get the Vancouver ticket. Such a narrow gap between 2nd and 3rd! It's so cruel. As for me, I would have sent Asada, Suzuki and Nakano to the Olympics - leaving Ando at home. Other countries would be happy to have only one of these great female skaters.

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Anyone have a link with the Olympic team announcement please?? have the worlds and 4cc teams being announced too??? please

I have no link, but according to the Fuji TV, the teams are as follows,

Worlds-- Daisuke Takahashi, Takahiko Kozuka, Nobunari Oda, Mao Asada, Yukari Nakano, Miki Ando

4CC-- Takahiko Kozuka, Tatsuki Machida, Yasuharu Nanri, Mao Asada, Akiko Suzuki, Yukari Nakano

Jr. Worlds-- Yuzuru Hanyu, Kanako Murakami

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Remember that yuna at beat can only do 4 types of triple jumps (no loops), mao has done 4 types of triple without lutz and salchow. so their is nothing to laugh about the jump content when you compare it with yuna.

Yuna only got 4 triple jump ratified at the GPF so doing 5 triple is will hurt mao but won't be a deal breaker.

Yuna's 4 triples are lutz, flip, toe, sal. She does two 3lutz, her two 3toe are in difficult combinations (3lz-3toe and 2a-3t) . If Mao does 2a-2t, her four triples are 3a, 3f, 3lo, 3t. She does two 3lo and two 3flip, both of which are less valuable than a 3lutz and neither one of those jumps are in difficult combinations like Yuna's are (unless you count 3f-2lo-2lo (which she often gets DG). If Mao does a 2a-2t instead at the Olympics, her only hard jump will be the solo 3a, which could easily get downgraded.

5 triples for everyone else except Yuna pretty much is a dealbreaker, even for Yuna she might not win. Remember at the GPF her score was only 188 and was just 3 points ahead of Miki who did not skate perfectly either. As long as Yuna hits her 3lz-3t and it's clean, she can afford a minor mistake like a UR 3toe on the 2a-3t or a fluky salchow and still win, but that's just Yuna. It's stupid but some skaters must accomplish much more to get good/competitive scores than others do. Look at US nationals last year, Rachael and Caroline landed 7 triples and still hardly got higher scores in the FS than Alissa who landed 3. Mirai at SC was passed over for a medal by Laura and Alissa even though she landed 5 triples and they each only landed 3. It's just kind of how the system works these days.

Mao and Joannie definitely have a shot at winning the Olympics, and it is likely they will medal, but they will have to land a lot more than Yuna will to get that gold or that medal because Yuna's superior skating (and reputation I suppose). Joannie has 7 triples in her arsenal and she landed 6 at worlds last year, if Mao is leaving out the 3a-2t she better get two more triples or a 3-3 in her program fast otherwise it will be like last year at worlds where she did great but it wasn't enough.

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I have no link, but according to the Fuji TV, the teams are as follows,

Worlds-- Daisuke Takahashi, Takahiko Kozuka, Nobunari Oda, Mao Asada, Yukari Nakano, Miki Ando

4CC-- Takahiko Kozuka, Tatsuki Machida, Yasuharu Nanri, Mao Asada, Akiko Suzuki, Yukari Nakano

Jr. Worlds-- Yuzuru Hanyu, Kanako Murakami

Thanks.. Im still sad for Yukari.. at least shes going to worlds, hope she can medal there. Will Mao really go to 4CC ? Maybe to reboost her international confidence. Happy for Machida getting his first Major ISU championship.

Bennett

Record Breaker
akiko still lacks finishes, her limbs are not turned out, her arms flail about and the phrasing to the music is not there. she skates fast and in an exciting way like slutskaya did pre 99/2000. to be honest i would say nakano has the better polish and potential to get up the podium at vancouver compared to suzuki.

I agree about polish. Yukari does not have stretch or turn-out either though. But I think that Akiko excels in her jumps. She gets pretty good TES. Let's see if Akiko can get at least the same level of PCS as Yukari. It is like that in Japan, but internationally Akiko's PCS can be scored pretty low, which could be more to do with the fact that she is new.

jovani2293

On the Ice
Congrats to the Ladies, Miki, Mao, and Akiko.
Mao-Winner of the Nationals
Miki- The Most Successful Japanese Skater this season
Akiko-Amazing GP Season and Amazing Nationals.

dancingqueen

On the Ice
I am really sad that Nakano Yukari didn't manage to get the Vancouver ticket. Such a narrow gap between 2nd and 3rd! It's so cruel. As for me, I would have sent Asada, Suzuki and Nakano to the Olympics - leaving Ando at home. Other countries would be happy to have only one of these great female skaters.

I'm sad for Yukari, too. However, IMO, Miki is a great female skater too, whether you agree or not. It’s one thing to speak for yourself, it’s another thing entirely to pretend that you are speaking for all people and all countries of the world.

Congratulations for all the medallists ! :clap:

berrycute

On the Ice
I always thought Japanese Ladies had such lovely dresses - until this season. Miki and Mao, always so well dressed in the past have looked almost comical this season with so many bad costumes.

I thought Mao's dress today was OK - but not as good as in the past.
Miki seems to have become the poster girl for bad dresses lately.

Well, I loved Mao's birthday cake dress from TEB, but I think this pink one is probably better suited to the music and the addition of the flower was nice. She DOES need a new FP dress though, this one for some reason reminds me of a clown.

jovani2293

On the Ice
Well, I loved Mao's birthday cake dress from TEB, but I think this pink one is probably better suited to the music and the addition of the flower was nice. She DOES need a new FP dress though, this one for some reason reminds me of a clown.

I agree. I'm hoping that they saved the best costume for the biggest event of the season, OLYMPICS. yeah