Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast
Results 451 to 465 of 513

Thread: LADIES- Japanese Nationals (Senior)

  1. #451
    Custom Title ks777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by MKFSfan View Post
    [qoute=christinaskater]I love this Akiko Kanako moment

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y76x5UDDTo4

    I really love Kanako, never have I seen interaction like this in a competitive event! Such nice people!
    Is that a real interaction or some creative video editing??? So cute if real! What is the connection between Akiko and Kanako?[/QUOTE]

    Yes it really happened. Kanako and Akiko train sometimes at the same rink and they are friends.

  2. #452
    Dreaming and dancing Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Watching the sunset
    Posts
    2,793
    Kanako looked a bit overwhelmed by the event. Mao was calm and her own self when she participated in senior nationals as a 15 yr old (she was aiming to land 2 3As and she did). But Kanako looked like a little guest here. Yet, it was great she still did what she did and placed as high as possible (just after Miki).

  3. #453
    Custom Title Nadia01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by roogu View Post
    Can't believe the JSF chose Miki again like in 2006 when Yoshie outskated her. Suzuki should be going to both worlds and Olys.
    Actually Miki earned her spot fair and square before Nat. So there's nothing wrong with her getting a spot on the Oly team.

  4. #454
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Yes, exactly. Akiko has smaller frame, which potentially makes her seem less imposing on the ice. Her legs aren't "ideally" (I am going back to societal views on physical beauty now) proportioned to that smaller frame, however. She doesn't have thin legs to give her a "cute" or "princess" kind of look...compare to Mao Asada, Sasha Cohen, or Tara Lipinski.

    Essentially Akiko's body type doesn't give off any particular image - elegant, cute, or supple. That can be a detriment to how people view her.
    I guess. She has more of an athletic build like Alena Leonova, although Leonova looks taller and sturdier. I don't think body type makes that big of an impact though, all the top ladies are built differently and that's why it is so interesting to watch because they all attack the jumps differently.

  5. #455
    Custom Title Phoenix347's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Yes, exactly. Akiko has smaller frame, which potentially makes her seem less imposing on the ice. Her legs aren't "ideally" (I am going back to societal views on physical beauty now) proportioned to that smaller frame, however. She doesn't have thin legs to give her a "cute" or "princess" kind of look...compare to Mao Asada, Sasha Cohen, or Tara Lipinski.

    Essentially Akiko's body type doesn't give off any particular image - elegant, cute, or supple. That can be a detriment to how people view her.
    I'm afraid I'd have to agree with you. There is something about Akiko's body that doesn't say elegant or supple. Even though she seems like a wonderful person, I think image can sometimes affect people's judgment. However, even though Kiira Korpi has a pretty face, her blank look and lack of charisma doesn't translate into beautiful skating for me. It is still mysterious to me how she gets the PCS score that she does get. Maybe the judges think Grace Kelly is skating instead. Judges just can bear to give a movie star and a royalty bad PCS scores!

    Edit: On a more thread related note, I noticed that as Mao was heading toward the Kiss and Cry and getting gifts from her fans after her LP, just as she was getting a gift from a fan, someone threw a stuff toy that hit the fan giving the gift on the back of head. Luckily I don't think the fan was injured so I had to laugh. Another thing was that someone gave her something in a Lego bag. I had no idea that Mao like building Legos. Maybe it calms her mind... she dropped on the way to the Kiss and Cry, though.
    Last edited by Phoenix347; 12-29-2009 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Added comments

  6. #456
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    I love this Akiko Kanako moment

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y76x5UDDTo4

    I really love Kanako, never have I seen interaction like this in a competitive event! Such nice people!
    She's really growing on me--love, love, love her personality!!

  7. #457
    Dreaming and dancing Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Watching the sunset
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix347 View Post
    Another thing was that someone gave her something in a Lego bag. I had no idea that Mao like building Legos. Maybe it calms her mind... she dropped on the way to the Kiss and Cry, though.
    I thought that it was her childhood hobby. But in 2008, I watched a TV showing the products that she herself built and displayed at home. The products were boyish stuff, something mechanic like a car. Adorable. She might still do that, perhaps?

  8. #458
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    Yes it really happened. Kanako and Akiko train sometimes at the same rink and they are friends.
    I thought it was a very nice moment. It is unusual to see a skater about to compete take time to celebrate another skater's score.

    I also was surprised when Kanako apparently set-up the start of her program in the wrong spot. She took these cute little sideway hops to get to a better spot. The crowd noticed and let out polite laughter which Kanako responded to with a look over her shoulder and a smile of her own.

    I have heard about Kanako but this was the first time I saw her skate.
    I think she is just the most charming personality and a really terrific young skater.
    Last edited by janetfan; 12-29-2009 at 08:49 AM.

  9. #459
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madrid, Spain
    Posts
    226
    I met Kanako the past year in Madrid's JGP where I was a volunteer, and I couldn't help falling in love with her. She's such a cute girl inside and outside the rink, always with a smile, and you can feel how she enjoys with FS

  10. #460
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Can't believe we're having this conversation again. Akiko is adorable and irresistible. I can't believe any judge anywhere would hold anything about her appearance against her. She's accomplished and immensely appealing and she hit the jackpot with her programs, but she's not on the same level as Yu Na or Mao, hence I doubt she's a contender for gold. But you never know. And if by some miracle she won, I wouldn't mind.
    )

    I am with you Spun and since Medusa tipped me off about Akiko I have become a big fan of her skating.

    I like watching Akiko and particularly like the way she smiles at her coach right before she skates out to center ice to start her programs. I think there is something very endearing about her and find it easy to cheer for her.

    The truth is I like all skaters and only make fun of Plushy - but I think it is really the "Plushybots" I am fooling with - since I have admired Plushy for years. He is just like Evan in many ways. Not the most elegant skater but a really strong competitor who skates so well under pressure.
    Last edited by janetfan; 12-29-2009 at 10:40 AM.

  11. #461
    Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    4,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Kanako looked a bit overwhelmed by the event. Mao was calm and her own self when she participated in senior nationals as a 15 yr old (she was aiming to land 2 3As and she did). But Kanako looked like a little guest here. Yet, it was great she still did what she did and placed as high as possible (just after Miki).
    Kanako spent the whole season on the junior circut where Mao had competed in the Senior GP, won a silver and a gold, and won the GPF in the the months before her first senior nationals. I think she had very god reason to be confident!

  12. #462
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    Kanako spent the whole season on the junior circut where Mao had competed in the Senior GP, won a silver and a gold, and won the GPF in the the months before her first senior nationals. I think she had very god reason to be confident!
    Haha very true. But Mao maybe had her best success earlier than is ideal, I think maybe Kanako will peak later like Yuna and be the next big thing. Plus Kanako looks a little more mature than Mao was at 15 so maybe she has already had her big growth spurt and won't have to go through that in the upcoming years as we have seen so many other skaters (Caroline, Mirai, Kimmie) struggle due to growth spurts and injuries resulting from them. I can't wait to see her at Jr. Worlds and the senior GP circuit next year!

  13. #463
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    I heard that Mao's coach didn't come to her Nationals because she was busy with Russian Nationals. In my opinion, she really shouldn't keep a coach who doesn't come to support her at big events.

  14. #464
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    tokyo
    Posts
    239
    [QUOTE=Tinymavy15;444022]Kanako spent the whole season on the junior circut where Mao had competed in the Senior GP, won a silver and a gold, and won the GPF in the the months before her first senior nationals. I think she had very god reason to be confident![/QUOT

    it's not a big problem,but actually Mao's first senior national was 2002, when she was a novice skater.then she did 3F-3Lo-3T(3Twas a little under-roated though)
    3A(clearly under-roated) amazing jump layout! she won 7th. In 2003,she did 3Lz-3Lo(perfect for me),4S and 3A. she was 8th this time. of course she competed as a one senior skater from 2005.
    i remember japan nationals in 2005 was hot competetion,too! i thought kanako is like mao in 2005.mao seemed to enjoy skating at that time and kanako seems to.

    by the way,mao wants to attempt second jump as 3A-2T from interview.my thought is she should put 2A-3T and 3-3.

  15. #465
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    704
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    I heard that Mao's coach didn't come to her Nationals because she was busy with Russian Nationals. In my opinion, she really shouldn't keep a coach who doesn't come to support her at big events.

    Tarasova has made it clear that she is more of consultant rather than a coach hence she could skip it. i think it is tats assistant that is full time in japan

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •