As a Skater, Does MK have any flaws? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

As a Skater, Does MK have any flaws?

Taan

On the Ice
:) well in all my years of hearing dick+peggy commentate on skaters they have never pointed out anything negative in mk's skating actually they usually remark that she is "heavenly" :) or someting along those lines! in contrast they have pointed out flaws of mk's rivals like irina("sloppy") tara("flutz") sara("underrotation") so of course if mk had flaws dick+peggy would say something right :confused: ? imo mk is a set above the rest :love:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
"well in all my years of hearing dick+peggy commentate on skaters they have never pointed out anything negative in mk's skating actually they usually remark that she is "heavenly"

Okay Taan you have now forced me to take out all of my skating tapes and find the ones that have dick and or peggy saying something negative about MK:sheesh:

Dick and Peggy are not the "skating gods" and just because they may say something it doesn't make it true. MK is one of the most gifted skaters but even she has skating faults and is not perfect.

Sorry mathmann I know you think she is;)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Every skater will admit they have "flaws." We do not see them practicing day in and day out in the wee hours of the morning.

Sherlock Piel,
Once again I think you have used your superior powers of logic and deduction to figure things out before the rest of us, lol.
Rgirl

Taan,
Do you know about the Private Message function? It's at the bottom of ever post and if you have the urge to bust out saying, "MICHELLE IS FLAWLESS!!!" just click the "Send a Private Message" on any of Mathman's posts. Believe me, he'll be thrilled to pieces to receive any PM that says anything about Michelle being perfect;) Though don't send him too many. He does have his moderator duties and if he gets too many "Michelle is perfect" PMs, Mrs. Mathman is likley to find him staring at his Michelle tapes, lost in that perfect Michelle world:p
Rgirl

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Taan IIRC you posted on another thread (the Frank and Lori one) that while Michelle was still awesome, you felt she lost the magic or something. So what's up with this thread?

I agree with Joesitz.

apache88

On the Ice
Ok, now I can perfectly understand how my earlier posts would appear to many of you guys.:laugh: I choose to give Taan the benefit of the doubt. He/she probably is like I was in the beginning, asking questions innocently, purely out of curiosity, like a little kid asking his mom how he was created. :p

Hey, Apache, we were just wondering about you. ("We" meaning all the people on the "Michelle is perfect" PM party line.) Welcome back. I look forward to more of your Michelle questions!:)

Mathman

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
LOL, Mathman...I'm all ready for our "Michelle is Perfect" Yearly Sacrifice! What will do this year...we already burned that doll that looked like Sarah last year. Anyway, hey Apache, I did wonder where you had gone. Your discussions were interesting and you are a quick learner...and you worship the skate goddess, Michelle!

apache88

On the Ice
Wasn't it off-season? That's why I was away.

OK, I have been busy like hell. I will definitely drop a line or 2 here whenever I can. GS is great and the people here are great. Thanks Mathman for your warm welcome, great to have you as a moderator (please ensure posters do talk about Michelle at least 50% of the time :p ). BronzeisGolden, yeah we do have something in common - we worship Goddess Michelle :laugh: Rgirl, just wanted to tell you I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your long posts on Michelle. Yes I did lurk around during my absence. Wow, some people from MKF have proclaimed you a GS celebrity. Well, I wouldn't dispute that. Even when you frustrated me to no end with your critique of Michelle's skating pre-Aranjuez, you had my respect then. Right now, I worship you because you have begun to actually enjoy Michelle's skating. :laugh: :laugh:

Back on topic, Michelle obviously has flaws. Her Ina Bauer isn't as bent as Sasha's, her spins arent as great as Sasha's...etc....etc, however all her skating elements are top-notch although they aren't the best. And what makes her so formidable is the deadly combination of her first rate technique + presentation + steely mental strength + competitiveness + her ability to draw you in (unfortunately, this can't be taught, it's called X-factor). In short, dissect Michelle piece by piece, she is with flaws, but take her as one-whole, she's the greatest package the sport has seen. Just MHO.

apache88 said:
[B
Back on topic, Michelle obviously has flaws. Her Ina Bauer isn't as bent as Sasha's, her spins arent as great as Sasha's...etc....etc, however all her skating elements are top-notch although they aren't the best. And what makes her so formidable is the deadly combination of her first rate technique + presentation + steely mental strength + competitiveness + her ability to draw you in (unfortunately, this can't be taught, it's called X-factor). In short, dissect Michelle piece by piece, she is with flaws, but take her as one-whole, she's the greatest package the sport has seen. Just MHO. [/B]

Welcome back apache. Yeah! You got it. Michelle has all those flaws BUT as Carly Simon would say: NOBODY DOES IT BETTER

Joe

apache88

On the Ice
Thanks Joe.

I forgot to add, ...........+ consistency + athleticism. Now if that's not the ultimate total package, I don't know what is.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Taan said:
:) well in all my years of hearing dick+peggy commentate on skaters they have never pointed out anything negative in mk's skating actually they usually remark that she is "heavenly" :) or someting along those lines! in contrast they have pointed out flaws of mk's rivals like irina("sloppy") tara("flutz") sara("underrotation") so of course if mk had flaws dick+peggy would say something right :confused: ? imo mk is a set above the rest :love:

I have a not so positive set of opinions on Dick and Peggy as well...

IIRC Dick was constantly on Michelle's case about her layback position in 1999-2000, comparing it unfavorably to Naomi Nari Nam's, Angela Nikodinov's, Sarah Hughes', and just about everyone's. So much so that Michelle, that self-proclaimed least flexible of skaters, gave up on the classical layback position altogether and came up with her (gorgeous, WOW!) hands behind the back, free leg down position in response.

Mathman

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I guess you just have to accuire a taste for her version of the layback... I don't find it any where near the same quality of Angela's :)

*is just being a booger now*

elingrace4eva

Rinkside
I guess you just have to accuire a taste for her version of the layback... I don't find it any where near the same quality of Angela's

I completely agree. I think that, though she obviously has many strong points, the layback is not one of them. I don't find it very interesting to watch, it looks like just another spin. I'd rather watch Angela's or Sasha's any day.

And just for the record, I completely agree with most of your opinions on Michelle. I find her to lack fire...which makes her less interesting to watch.

Whatever, i'm just another Sasha fan...

Kat

registered

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Michelle, that self-proclaimed least flexible of skaters, gave up on the classical layback position altogether and came up with her (gorgeous, WOW!) hands behind the back, free leg down position in response.

Mathman

Tanya Harding was first to perform this kind of "drop down" lay-back spin.

sk8ing_lady2001

Final Flight
apache88 said:
Wasn't it off-season? That's why I was away.

OK, I have been busy like hell. I will definitely drop a line or 2 here whenever I can. GS is great and the people here are great. Thanks Mathman for your warm welcome, great to have you as a moderator (please ensure posters do talk about Michelle at least 50% of the time :p ). BronzeisGolden, yeah we do have something in common - we worship Goddess Michelle :laugh: Rgirl, just wanted to tell you I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your long posts on Michelle. Yes I did lurk around during my absence. Wow, some people from MKF have proclaimed you a GS celebrity. Well, I wouldn't dispute that. Even when you frustrated me to no end with your critique of Michelle's skating pre-Aranjuez, you had my respect then. Right now, I worship you because you have begun to actually enjoy Michelle's skating. :laugh: :laugh:

Back on topic, Michelle obviously has flaws. Her Ina Bauer isn't as bent as Sasha's, her spins arent as great as Sasha's...etc....etc, however all her skating elements are top-notch although they aren't the best. And what makes her so formidable is the deadly combination of her first rate technique + presentation + steely mental strength + competitiveness + her ability to draw you in (unfortunately, this can't be taught, it's called X-factor). In short, dissect Michelle piece by piece, she is with flaws, but take her as one-whole, she's the greatest package the sport has seen. Just MHO.

She may also not have as much extension as Sasha on that spiral, but Michelle's edges are deep nonetheless. IMO she has the best COE spiral and no one can take that away from her. :D