• Asia

Votes: 31 13.2%
  • other continents. sorry~

Votes: 12 5.1%

• Total voters

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Not quite clear what the poll asks - do you really want to know where people are "from", meaning where they were born, or rather were they live and how they identify themselves. For example, I voted America because this is where I live and how I self identify, but I am actually from Russia.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
^^^@ Mathman: you speak truly. However, I have lived in my current location for many years, and have spent 1/3 of my (rather substantial middle aged) life in China + SE Asia, including many years growing up over here. I am now a stranger in my own land. :)

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Not quite clear what the poll asks - do you really want to know where people are "from", meaning where they were born, or rather were they live and how they identify themselves. For example, I voted America because this is where I live and how I self identify, but I am actually from Russia.
I was thinking the same thing. I voted Europe, while I'm from Russia (assuming Russia =/= Europe.... for some reason)

Basics

On the Ice

Hm...it should be, "how do you identify yourself?" doesn't matter where you were born or where you live currently. :)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Hm...it should be, "how do you identify yourself?" doesn't matter where you were born or where you live currently. :)

Looks like many posters/skaters have lived in more than one country and/or have more than one citizenship. Could be hard to identify yourself then. But it probably makes the board more interesting. :thumbsup:

Do Canadiens ever identify themselves as Americans?/North Americans?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Canada is a country, but is also a member of the Common Wealth which links us to Great Britain. Although Canada does have it's own constitution and Prime Minister, Queen Elizabeth of England was conferred with the title Queen of Canada in 1953 and is still our Head of State. So we as a nation are still closely linked with Great Britain. That is why many of our laws and customs - not to mention spelling - are British based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_Canada

http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/fr-rf/101-eng.cfm

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Canada is a country, but is also a member of the Common Wealth which links us to Great Britain. Although Canada does have it's own constitution and Prime Minister, Queen Elizabeth of England was conferred with the title Queen of Canada in 1953 and is still our Head of State. So we as a nation are still closely linked with Great Britain. That is why many of our laws and customs - not to mention spelling - are British based.
]

OK, I know Canada is a country, but it also belongs to the continent North America, hence my question. Interesting though if you feel more British than American. And what about the French areas? Suppose people there call themselves French Canadiens.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
No, we don't call ourselves N. Americans, but that's very much a Canadian way of defining ourselves as "not Americans"

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Suppose people there call themselves French Canadiens.

I'm not Canadian, but I know that there are French Canadians...

North America has three [BIG] countries, but only the US seems to use "American" to describe ourselves. "Native American" - I'm not sure if that's just for the US native peoples (I know canadian publicans refer to Indians/Eskimo/Other tribal peoples as "First People").

Canada = Canadians
Mexico = Mexican/Hispanic
USA = Americans (we're the "United States of America" so I think that's where it comes from, not like the idea that floats around these boards on occasion that we have the arrogance to think we're the only ones on this continent. We're well aware of Canada and Mexico... and SOUTH America)

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Central America and the Carribean are part of N. America, so I think that's something like 23 countries (wiki)

That said, I have met Americans who didn't know where Canada was, so it's not like that idea was borne out of nothing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
actually according to the maps in the classrooms it's to the northeast of the rest of teh US...

it's amazing how we get so much snow, and how the penguins and polar bears survive since we're so far south

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Based on responses on all the other GS threads, I can't believe there's so few Canadians appearing in this poll. I think they're hiding. C'mon you Canucks, stand up and be counted! :yes:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
North America has three [BIG] countries, but only the US seems to use "American" to describe ourselves.
Well, Mexicans can object to the term "United States" as well - their country's full name is "United Mexican States"!

katia

On the Ice
I live in Canada now so I put Canadian but actually I am from Europe.
That's the problem I have - to be (European) or not to be.

Barb

Record Breaker
Well, Mexicans can object to the term "United States" as well - their country's full name is "United Mexican States"!

yes, but no problem;), we call them americans too, estadounidenses or gringos, we are just mexicans