Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Men entries

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by moojja View Post
    Evan was third last year. If he was 4th, then he would have lost his chance to go to Worlds.

I like Ryan too, and I hope he does well. My hope is:
    1.) Ryan (It's the only way he'll be get a Olympic spot.)
    2.) Evan
    3.) Jeremy
    Oh, well he was 4th in the LP I think. And wouldn't Ryan get to go as long as he finishes top 3? Or if he is 2nd or 3rd would they pass him up for Johnny? (that would make me so mad)

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Oh, well he was 4th in the LP I think. And wouldn't Ryan get to go as long as he finishes top 3? Or if he is 2nd or 3rd would they pass him up for Johnny? (that would make me so mad)
    It's possible. Last year, he place higher than JW at Nationals, but JW was made first alternate to Worlds, while he was second alternate. Usually USFSA go with the placements at Nationals.
    But I don't know what will happen this year. I'm rooting for Ryan to get gold, because that will guarantee a spot for the Olympic team.

I truly hope Keegan Messing skates well at nationals... Alaska may not even notice this young star, but those of us interested in teh sport certainly have! Kick ice, Keegan!

Custom Title
    Since this is probably gonna be Evan's last Nationals, I really want him to earn a gold medal and end his National's journey on a high note. I love Ryan too! Just wonder if he wins a silver, can he still get an Olympic spot? I think at least he'll be on Worlds team, they send Brandon to the Worlds last year, so it could happen again.

On the Ice
    1. Johnny Weir
    2. Ryan Bradley
    3. Adam Rippon

I have faith in the swan futureidol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemy View Post
    1. Johnny Weir
    2. Ryan Bradley
    3. Adam Rippon

YAY!!! That's a great podium! Go Johnny

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by moojja View Post
    It's possible. Last year, he place higher than JW at Nationals, but JW was made first alternate to Worlds, while he was second alternate. Usually USFSA go with the placements at Nationals.
    But I don't know what will happen this year. I'm rooting for Ryan to get gold, because that will guarantee a spot for the Olympic team.
    Doesn't really seem fair to me but I guess the USFSA is allowed to do that. It makes me wonder though if someone other than Rachael, Ashley, Alissa, Mirai, Caroline, or Sasha finishes 2nd in ladies at nationals this year if they will not be sent to Olympics or worlds, and rather be passed over for one of the skaters I mentioned. Anyone know?

Rinkside
    I wouldn't count out Ricky Dornbush for the top 10. When he's on, he's on-- he's certainly capable of doing it. The same goes for Doug Razzano, who has done a clean program with quad toe.

Funny, I think I'm more interested to see how the rest of the field pans out instead of the top 3. Realistically, I think Evan and Jeremy will make the Olympic team (maybe not in that order... that depends on the skate). Another slot is up for grabs between Johnny, Ryan, Brandon Mroz, and who knows who else? It could be Adam or Stephan or it could be someone like Grant Hochstein, Ricky, or Doug. All of these guys have unique qualities to their skating, so it could be very easy for someone to surprise everyone at nationals. The men's field is very competitive all the way down to 24. I'm very excited to see how this turns out.
    Last edited by icedancer18; 01-10-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: adding

Here's how I realistically see it: Lysacek is only a lock for gold if he skates extremely clean, not just landing the jumps, but with good smooth ride out. He cannot get away with swingy legs or turned in landings, and overall sloppiness in the jumps like was saw in Tokyo. And what if he falls on his 3A? He's been struggling with it this season. I say game over. Abbott or Weir could win the gold with two clean programs, but I think Lysacek would have to make a major error (most likely in the FS). Again Lysacek is highly favored by the judges and USFSA, so it'll be a battle to dethrone him, but it is possible. All three of the aforementioned skaters are capable of the gold. Evan clearly has his World title and GPF gold on his side, but I see Jeremy and Johnny in a battle for the silver with a possible upset for the gold. If Abbott falls again on his planned quad, Weir would surely surpass him. Bradley would have to have a lights out perfect performance with the quad to even medal. Rippon, Mroz, Carriere, and some of the lesser names are all very unlikely to challenge the big boys, but nothing's impossible. I just hope for a fair competition and our top 3 men to do their best and get their tickets to Vancouver.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by futureidol View Post
    Here's how I realistically see it: Lysacek is only a lock for gold if he skates extremely clean, not just landing the jumps, but with good smooth ride out. He cannot get away with swingy legs or turned in landings, and overall sloppiness in the jumps like was saw in Tokyo.
    He can't? Did you happen to miss the 2008 US Nationals LP? A very sloppy Lysacek was able to overtake a less sloppy Weir because Evan had much more COP friendly programs than Johnny did. COP doesn't necessarily call for "extremely clean" programs; it calls for skaters to milk the system for every possible point, and Evan does that. Johnny, on the other hand, has not done that in the past, failing to max out his jump content and being too cautious.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 01-10-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Of course I remember the infamous "tie". Lord knows what those moron judges were thinking. Johnny should have won hands down. And I'm not so sure about the "COP friendly" aspect. Weir won COR and COC that year. And "Love Is War" was one of his best FS (my personal favorite). 2008-2009 was one of his best seasons. Also I did state earlier that Lysacek would have to have a MAJOR error for Weir or Abbott to beat him out for the gold, but I do think it's possible. Of course Johnny will have to max out his combos in the FS, and improve his PCS (which he said he is with added transitions and choreography). If he does that he'll medal for sure. His SP is already fabulous. Plus since it's an Olympic year I think the judges will be looking for little errors and sloppiness more closely than they would in a non-Olympic one. Oh well, we'll see. I really can't wait!

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    When is the first offical men's practice? I was going to drop by Toyota Sports Center Monday or Tuesday but won't bother if you think Evan will be in Spokane by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    When is the first offical men's practice? I was going to drop by Toyota Sports Center Monday or Tuesday but won't bother if you think Evan will be in Spokane by then.
    I don't know for sure, but I don't think any practices will be held until Wed or Thurs. I think most the skaters are arriving on Tuesday evening.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by futureidol View Post
    Here's how I realistically see it: Lysacek is only a lock for gold if he skates extremely clean, not just landing the jumps, but with good smooth ride out. He cannot get away with swingy legs or turned in landings, and overall sloppiness in the jumps like was saw in Tokyo. And what if he falls on his 3A? He's been struggling with it this season. I say game over.
    In theory this makes sense, but I don't see it happening. Evan gets huge PCS and they'll be even higher at nationals. Johnny's been having trouble with his 3a this season too, and his PCS scores are not as high as Evan's, and he won't even attempt a quad. Evan is going to be on the podium I am nearly certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if Abbott and Bradley surpassed Weir and got the other 2 spots. They both have quads and their 3a's are more solid than Johnny's. That's just how I see it.

it will really depend on which Johnny shows up in Spokane... if the nervous, unsure Johnny reappears AGAIN then he's in trouble... if he wants the title/spot on the team too bad it could also cause trouble...

he needs just just go out and skate like he did in 2005

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast