Men entries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men entries

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It's possible. Last year, he place higher than JW at Nationals, but JW was made first alternate to Worlds, while he was second alternate. Usually USFSA go with the placements at Nationals.
But I don't know what will happen this year. I'm rooting for Ryan to get gold, because that will guarantee a spot for the Olympic team.

Doesn't really seem fair to me but I guess the USFSA is allowed to do that. It makes me wonder though if someone other than Rachael, Ashley, Alissa, Mirai, Caroline, or Sasha finishes 2nd in ladies at nationals this year if they will not be sent to Olympics or worlds, and rather be passed over for one of the skaters I mentioned. Anyone know?

icedancer18

Rinkside
I wouldn't count out Ricky Dornbush for the top 10. When he's on, he's on-- he's certainly capable of doing it. The same goes for Doug Razzano, who has done a clean program with quad toe.

Funny, I think I'm more interested to see how the rest of the field pans out instead of the top 3. Realistically, I think Evan and Jeremy will make the Olympic team (maybe not in that order... that depends on the skate). Another slot is up for grabs between Johnny, Ryan, Brandon Mroz, and who knows who else? It could be Adam or Stephan or it could be someone like Grant Hochstein, Ricky, or Doug. All of these guys have unique qualities to their skating, so it could be very easy for someone to surprise everyone at nationals. The men's field is very competitive all the way down to 24. I'm very excited to see how this turns out.

Last edited:

futureidol

On the Ice
Here's how I realistically see it: Lysacek is only a lock for gold if he skates extremely clean, not just landing the jumps, but with good smooth ride out. He cannot get away with swingy legs or turned in landings, and overall sloppiness in the jumps like was saw in Tokyo. And what if he falls on his 3A? He's been struggling with it this season. I say game over. Abbott or Weir could win the gold with two clean programs, but I think Lysacek would have to make a major error (most likely in the FS). Again Lysacek is highly favored by the judges and USFSA, so it'll be a battle to dethrone him, but it is possible. All three of the aforementioned skaters are capable of the gold. Evan clearly has his World title and GPF gold on his side, but I see Jeremy and Johnny in a battle for the silver with a possible upset for the gold. If Abbott falls again on his planned quad, Weir would surely surpass him. Bradley would have to have a lights out perfect performance with the quad to even medal. Rippon, Mroz, Carriere, and some of the lesser names are all very unlikely to challenge the big boys, but nothing's impossible. I just hope for a fair competition and our top 3 men to do their best and get their tickets to Vancouver.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's how I realistically see it: Lysacek is only a lock for gold if he skates extremely clean, not just landing the jumps, but with good smooth ride out. He cannot get away with swingy legs or turned in landings, and overall sloppiness in the jumps like was saw in Tokyo.

:confused: He can't? Did you happen to miss the 2008 US Nationals LP? A very sloppy Lysacek was able to overtake a less sloppy Weir because Evan had much more COP friendly programs than Johnny did. COP doesn't necessarily call for "extremely clean" programs; it calls for skaters to milk the system for every possible point, and Evan does that. Johnny, on the other hand, has not done that in the past, failing to max out his jump content and being too cautious.

Last edited:

futureidol

On the Ice
Of course I remember the infamous "tie". Lord knows what those moron judges were thinking. Johnny should have won hands down. And I'm not so sure about the "COP friendly" aspect. Weir won COR and COC that year. And "Love Is War" was one of his best FS (my personal favorite). 2008-2009 was one of his best seasons. Also I did state earlier that Lysacek would have to have a MAJOR error for Weir or Abbott to beat him out for the gold, but I do think it's possible. Of course Johnny will have to max out his combos in the FS, and improve his PCS (which he said he is with added transitions and choreography). If he does that he'll medal for sure. His SP is already fabulous. Plus since it's an Olympic year I think the judges will be looking for little errors and sloppiness more closely than they would in a non-Olympic one. Oh well, we'll see. I really can't wait!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
When is the first offical men's practice? I was going to drop by Toyota Sports Center Monday or Tuesday but won't bother if you think Evan will be in Spokane by then.

futureidol

On the Ice
When is the first offical men's practice? I was going to drop by Toyota Sports Center Monday or Tuesday but won't bother if you think Evan will be in Spokane by then.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think any practices will be held until Wed or Thurs. I think most the skaters are arriving on Tuesday evening.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Here's how I realistically see it: Lysacek is only a lock for gold if he skates extremely clean, not just landing the jumps, but with good smooth ride out. He cannot get away with swingy legs or turned in landings, and overall sloppiness in the jumps like was saw in Tokyo. And what if he falls on his 3A? He's been struggling with it this season. I say game over.

In theory this makes sense, but I don't see it happening. Evan gets huge PCS and they'll be even higher at nationals. Johnny's been having trouble with his 3a this season too, and his PCS scores are not as high as Evan's, and he won't even attempt a quad. Evan is going to be on the podium I am nearly certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if Abbott and Bradley surpassed Weir and got the other 2 spots. They both have quads and their 3a's are more solid than Johnny's. That's just how I see it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it will really depend on which Johnny shows up in Spokane... if the nervous, unsure Johnny reappears AGAIN then he's in trouble... if he wants the title/spot on the team too bad it could also cause trouble...

he needs just just go out and skate like he did in 2005

silverlake22

Record Breaker
it will really depend on which Johnny shows up in Spokane... if the nervous, unsure Johnny reappears AGAIN then he's in trouble... if he wants the title/spot on the team too bad it could also cause trouble...

he needs just just go out and skate like he did in 2005

2005 was a long time ago, that's what people are hoping Sasha does too. I'm starting to think they are both just past their prime but maybe they will surprise me at nationals.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yes it was over four years ago, I'm well aware of that.

but he needs that mindset... he's been pretty beaten up mentally by himself, the media, and "skating fans". I was harsh on him before and after with some of the things that he said that were pretty bone head, but as far as kicking him when he was down about his actual skating, not so much. He's a fantastic skater, I've been fortunate enough to see him LIVE three times. I may not enjoy his choreography all that much, or some of the things he says/does off the ice, but I can't deny his talent... even when he does fall, he does have a quality.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
I think the podium will be:
Evan
Jeremy
Johnny

although I'd much prefer it to be:
Johnny
Ryan
Jeremy
Adam

and as much as I'm not a fan of Evan, they'd be foolish not to send him to the Olympics, unless he was injured.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I can't believe it's so close! this week is going to go by so slow until the events start up!