Kim Yu-na Asked to Skate in Four Continents Championships | Golden Skate

Kim Yu-na Asked to Skate in Four Continents Championships

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I think Mr. Eight-fifty should really consider Yuna's situation more carefully. Does he really want to mess her up in an unimportant competition just prior to the Olympics with the attendant crazy pressure from her native country's fans and press that is sure to make her lose her nerves? Not to mention disrupting her training schedule and causing her to lose a couple of weeks to flying across the Pacific Ocean and dealing with terrible jet leg twice? Is he just trying to make the ladies competition at the Olympics more competitive?

Nadia01

Final Flight
I think Mr. Eight-fifty should really consider Yuna's situation more carefully. Does he really want to mess her up in an unimportant competition just prior to the Olympics with the attendant crazy pressure from her native country's fans and press that is sure to make her lose her nerves? Not to mention disrupting her training schedule and causing her to lose a couple of weeks to flying across the Pacific Ocean and dealing with terrible jet leg twice? Is he just trying to make the ladies competition at the Olympics more competitive?

I find the timing of his "order" very suspicious.

Yuna made VERY CLEAR that she will NOT attend 4CC since March. I don't understand why he suddenly feels the need to force her to go.

I wonder if he's written letters to Canada & the US demanding that they send Joannie, Mirai, Evan, Patrick, etc. to 4CC.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well...if she doesn't want to go, I see no particular reason to force her to do so.

Unless, of course, that reason is to wear her out.

Basics

On the Ice
Well...if she doesn't want to go, I see no particular reason to force her to do so.

Unless, of course, that reason is to wear her out.

Huh? No, I don't think the reason is to wear her out. It's more like he's worried about the ticket sales at the event.

Obviously, Yuna is a big ticket power in Korea, but since figure skating is very popular in Korea these days, it will be a successful one even without her. Plus, the rink is not that big, so I'm not sure how much it will help anywayz.

I believe Yuna will not skate at the 4cc, even her native fans don't want her to come for the good reason.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Huh? No, I don't think the reason is to wear her out. It's more like he's worried about the ticket sales at the event.

Obviously, Yuna is a big ticket power in Korea, but since figure skating is very popular in Korea these days, it will be a successful one even without her. Plus, the rink is not that big, so I'm not sure how much it will help anywayz.

I believe Yuna will not skate at the 4cc, even her native fans don't want her to come for the good reason.

But he's known for a LONG time...as a matter of fact, since March that she will not go to 4CC and that it may affect the ticket sales at the event.

So it's odd that he's demanding that KSU do something about her attendance. If her absence was going to create such a big deal, he should've said something earlier. It's too late for her to make any arrangement, esp. given that she's already scheduled her entire season around TEB, SA, GPF, Oly & World.

figurejennah

On the Ice
Please click on the link below to view the original article.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2009/12/30/2009123000573.html

Kim's management agency IB Sports confirmed her decision. "Participating in the Four Continents competition would cost a whole week, with flying back and forth, adjusting to time zones, and competing," the agency said. "This would be very burdensome for a skater who is preparing for the Olympics coming up in a month."

Honestly, What is ISU and KSU's problem? Since when did they care so much about 4CC, and why are they pressuring Yuna to participate in it right before the OLYMPICS? I thought it was natural that top skaters didn't participate in these competitions right before or even after the Olympics. I can understand why Mao is participating, because she is flying to Korea from "Japan." Must Yuna fly all the way from Canada to Korea right before the competition of her life time? On top of that, since Mao did not do so well during the season, I understand her decision to partcipate in another international competition before the olympics, and it is probably a smart choice.

Can't they just leave Yuna alone? I read that Yuna has been bothered numerously to participate in 4cc despite that she has already announced not to. I can't believe that now ISU is bothering Yuna as well. Why don't they go ahead and bother other top skaters to go to 4cc as well? (Are lysacek, Jubert, and Ando going??) This is just ridiculous. :unsure:

Last edited:

adoreyuna

Rinkside
Please click on the link below to view the original article.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2009/12/30/2009123000573.html

Kim's management agency IB Sports confirmed her decision. "Participating in the Four Continents competition would cost a whole week, with flying back and forth, adjusting to time zones, and competing," the agency said. "This would be very burdensome for a skater who is preparing for the Olympics coming up in a month."

Honestly, What is ISU and KSU's problem? Since when did they care so much about 4CC, and why are they pressuring Yuna to participate in it right before the OLYMPICS? I thought it was natural that top skaters didn't participate in these competitions right before or even after the Olympics. I can understand why Mao is participating, because she is flying to Korea from "Japan." Must Yuna fly all the way from Canada to Korea right before the competition of her life time? On top of that, since Mao did not do so well during the season, I understand her decision to partcipate in another international competition before the olympics, and it is probably a smart choice.

Can't they just leave Yuna alone? I read that Yuna has been bothered numerously to participate in 4cc despite that she has already announced not to. I can't believe that now ISU is bothering Yuna as well. Why don't they go ahead and bother other top skaters to go to 4cc as well? (Are lysacek, Jubert, and Ando going??) This is just ridiculous. :unsure:

Oh~ Please calm down.

There are many hypotheses about this happening but most of what fans say are groundless.Korean fans who know inside story are actually thinking the other ways.

Let me introduce one of hypotheses.

1: Mr.Cinquanta sent each country's Skating Union a formal document
as usual. What this document is about may be "I hope outstanding skaters will participate in the 4CC, but it is not restricted."

2: The opposing part against Yuna in KSU( There are many :cry:) and a few media hunting interesting issues are together exaggerating the document as if Yuna skipped 4CC, It would be bad for her especially in Olympics.

3: Conclusion; Nothing changes.
Yuna has only to skate her skating in Toronto until Olympics.

This hypothesis is my allegation, not a fact but very probable.

2: I said there are a lot of anti Yuna in KSU but correctly, might be a few.
It's hypersensitive and complicated subject to say precisely. Moreover I'm not a man being able to beg the question.

Ptolemy

Rinkside
It's hypersensitive and complicated subject to say precisely. Moreover I'm not a man being able to beg the question.
How could you be a part of the KSU and be anti Yuna? I can't imagine what could be a motive for being anti Yuna. They would be happy if she immigrated to another country?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I would SO love to be Yuna (or Orser) right now. I'd personally dictate the "Dear John" letter to Speedy, and sing him a few bars of the Four-Letter Word Chorus. Then go out and skate the lights out at the Olympics, just daring him to invoke sneaky judging "reprisals" for my non-appearance. :biggrin:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
<snip>
2: The opposing part against Yuna in KSU( There are many :cry:) and a few media hunting interesting issues are together exaggerating the document as if Yuna skipped 4CC, It would be bad for her especially in Olympics.

<snip>

How could you be a part of the KSU and be anti Yuna? I can't imagine what could be a motive for being anti Yuna. They would be happy if she immigrated to another country?

Yes, please adoreyuna, do explain further. Not so much the Who but the Why--as in why would parts of the KSU be against her? And what exactly do you mean by "against"? I can see that the KSU may be thinking that too much emphasis on Yuna as Rock Star is somehow taking away from the development of breadth and depth in their overall skating program--and their other skaters, but that's more a Korean media hype and issue and less Yuna's fault. Is it that she is getting a lot of money from sponsors, and KSU is not getting what they feel is their fair share?

I'm really curious on this matter.

Nadia01

Final Flight

I'm not sure, but...

Probably b/c she's taking the spotlight away from short track? ST is very strong in Korea.

Queens Guy

Rinkside
Oh~ Please calm down.

There are many hypotheses about this happening but most of what fans say are groundless.Korean fans who know inside story are actually thinking the other ways.

Let me introduce one of hypotheses.

1: Mr.Cinquanta sent each country's Skating Union a formal document
as usual. What this document is about may be "I hope outstanding skaters will participate in the 4CC, but it is not restricted."

3: Conclusion; Nothing changes.
Yuna has only to skate her skating in Toronto until Olympics.

This hypothesis is my allegation, not a fact but very probable.

Part of what adoreyuna wrote above is groundless. What Cinquanta wrote to KSU has not been confirmed. What has been reported is that he had suggested Yuna participate in 4CC, but we don't know if he had sent such letters for all top skaters. And there is NO anti-Yuna in KSU. This is simply untrue. No Korean media has claimed there would be disadvantage for Yuna if she would skip 4CC. They just showed a little bit of concern. adoreyuna is exaggerating what's happening in South Korea.

Last edited:

Nadia01

Final Flight
Part of what adoreyuna wrote above is groundless. What Cinquanta wrote to KSU has not been confirmed. What has been reported is that he had suggested Yuna participate in 4CC, but we don't know if he had sent such letters for all top skaters. And there is NO anti-Yuna in KSU. This is simply untrue. No Korean media has claimed there would be disadvantage for Yuna if she would skip 4CC. They just showed a little bit of concern. Iadoreyuna is exaggerating what's happening in South Korea.

Actually a couple of articles that I read in the original Korean text insinuated rather strongly that Yuna may be judged unfairly at the Oly if she declines to go to 4CC. It may be that the reporters are just speculating, but who knows...?

chloepoco

Medalist
Actually a couple of articles that I read in the original Korean text insinuated rather strongly that Yuna may be judged unfairly at the Oly if she declines to go to 4CC. It may be that the reporters are just speculating, but who knows...?

Who is insinuating that Yuna may be judged unfairly at the Olympics if she declines to go to 4CC? Isn't that just speculation and paranoia on the part of the Korean media? Why all the brouhaha over a letter; weren't similar letters sent to other countries too? It doesn't seem strange that one would be sent to the host country asking the biggest name in figure skating, who comes from said country, to attend. Yuna just needs to respectfully decline, and go about doing what she's been planning on doing; that is, prepare for the Olympics.

Queens Guy

Rinkside

I know Cinquata may punish her for her skipping 4CC. What I'm saying is that the Korean media have not claimed it. In other words, they have NOT said Yuna WILL be punished. They simply showed their concern that there might be such punishment.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
If they were to punish Kim, they'd have to punish all the other skaters too. I can't see that happening, but wouldn't be surprised (figure skating is known for a judging scandal or two, sad as it is to say).

i love to skate

Medalist
Who is insinuating that Yuna may be judged unfairly at the Olympics if she declines to go to 4CC? Isn't that just speculation and paranoia on the part of the Korean media? Why all the brouhaha over a letter; weren't similar letters sent to other countries too? It doesn't seem strange that one would be sent to the host country asking the biggest name in figure skating, who comes from said country, to attend. Yuna just needs to respectfully decline, and go about doing what she's been planning on doing; that is, prepare for the Olympics.

Finally, some logic! I mean really people, calm down! Speedy sent letters to all the other countries as well - this isn't a Yu-Na only scenerio. Of course Speedy would want her to attend, the competition is being held in her own country. He has to be concerned that fans aren't going to come out to watch if she isn't in attendance. Speedy put pressure on the Canadian skaters to attend the World Team Trophy last year as well. She has respectfully declined, so what's the problem? He can't force her to go.