Why aren't there more figure skaters of African descent? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Why aren't there more figure skaters of African descent?

life684

Final Flight
Another skater to add to this list would be Collin Thompson. He was a Canadian junior mens champion in the mid 90's and spent a couple/few years competing as a senior as well... and Ravi Walia, a Canadian bronze medallist - not sure of his heritage?

Ravi walia is very indian name (& i assume he has Indian heritage), remember watching him on youtube but the video is missing now.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
For some reason, this thread is vaguely offensive to me, but I'll shall place that on a shelf and provide my thoughts on this topic...

I cannot speak for all black americans, but I can share my story and opinon...

I started skating around six / seven and while my friends loved to come to the rink and skate with me - none of them took up the sport. Not because their parents couldn't afford it, but because within that particular group - skating wasn't a REAL sport. It was cold, difficult and quite frankly boring. Who wanted to skate in circles all day to classical music? As we got older, this same group continued to join me at the rink for open skate night - esp. for Hot Chocolate Nite - free cocoa and real music... (we thought it was an invitation specifically for us!;) But while I continued to be a rink rat, they never really cared - thus neither did their parents. They did think it was cool I could walk around the mall in skates and two even bought skates just for the guards. But lessons? Never that.

I stopped skating competitvely at 12 when I hit 5'6'' and began showing hints of the diva I am today... the coach told my mom that while I was a decent jumper and spinner, I simply didn't have the body type that justified the time and money. My mom, ever the pratical woman, promptly put me in gymnastics and dance, where I excelled because of skating. I took up sking to get sense of flying that only fast ice skating can produce but my quest for the OGM was officially over. Which is probably for the best because I'm 5'9 with more curves than the Pacific Highway.

Now, my 12 year old can skate, loves to go to open ice night and enjoys the occasional pick up hockey game. But figure skate? Never that. He likes to watch and has big plans to marry Emily "Ta Da" Hughes but in his opinion, if you're a boy who is NOT Brian Joubert, you shouldn't figure skate. Something about Brian being French and soccer player who skates...(he's 12 and the logic makes sense to him, what can I say?)

That's my story, now here's my opinion: skating is a sport that fails to capture the imagination by its very old school nature. The costumes. The music. It just doesn't excite most kids and I think that's probably true across all cultures. Add a good dose of the stereotypical "boys who skate" bias and it becomes a hard sell.

I'm not sold either on skating's high price tag making it prohibitive to those of "African descent"... As a soccer mom, I can tell you that ALL kids sports at the elite level are extremely expensive. My husband and I probably drop close to 15 grand each year on training, coaching, league fees, travel, equipment and all the other stuff and we're not at the top of the spending scale; we're pretty average. We're just supportive (or fools) of our child's desire to play in a World Cup one day. And soccer continues to be a cheaper sport.

I reject the notion that skating is prohibative in costs to the average black family. If you had any idea what AAU basketball, track and travel football leagues charge, you might be shocked. And these are sports dominated by black athletes. Sports parents do what they have to do to make it work. And that's a fact that goes beyond race. Kids tend to be the deciders when its time to move from "oh what fun! saturday lessons!" to "I can't - my son has three trainings, a pick up game and tournament this week." But if a kid doesn't want to skate, no parent is going to force them.

Now, as to access... well, I'm from Detroit - the original Chocolate City - and we had ice rinks all over so I don't think this true.

The truth is that outside of the olympics, what else is there? You don't see skating on television. You don't see team competitions on ESPN like you see cheerleading. People don't excited when you scream: I did a double lutz! All the average person sees is three girls and three boys and the couples fighting it out for medals once a year. While prancing around in leotards to opera.

And despite lack of overall interest in the sport, EVERYONE seems to know that kids get up at 430 am to hit the rink. I can only assume its because that's what the media talks about so that's the impression. Similiar to how all black collegiate football players seem to be poor, and from the projects without a dad in the house. My husband finds that highly amusing... He played football for Michigan and that wasn't his experience so while "The Blind Side" was a great movie and an inspiring story...well. Let's just say it might not be reflective of most college players and leave it at that.

You also don't see NCAA meets like in gymnastics or National High School Figure Skating Competition at 3 pm each Saturday on ESPN like Cheerleading. All you know for certain that in this sport, if you aren't on the top step by 16, you never will be. Throw in there skating being a true solitary sport and you have a nation of kids who don't see the fun. Regardless of race.

Now, I know there are thousands of kids dreaming big and working their tails off, and my comments are not meant to disregard that effort. I'm just giving my opinion based on my experience and conversations with the kids and their parents that I know when I ask the question: "ever thought about figure skating?"

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
^ Good point. But lots do recreational ice skating.

That's what I'm saying... these kids LIKE to skate and will take a basic lesson - but long term? Not necessarily. But I don't think that's a "African Descent" issue but marketing and niche sport issues. And that cuts across all backgrounds.

heyang

Record Breaker
What is was the name of the US black male who had great promise, but never seemed to put it together under pressure? It was a big deal because his family was poor and I think the television network surprised him by paying for his mother to attend US Nationals when was competing for a spot on the Olympic team. If I recall correctly, he had reallyl nice spins, but couldn't land the jumps in competition.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Kwanford Wife,
thanks for taking the time to share your story and your experience with skating with us. Sometimes watching it and writing on boards like this is better than doing!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What is was the name of the US black male who had great promise, but never seemed to put it together under pressure? It was a big deal because his family was poor and I think the television network surprised him by paying for his mother to attend US Nationals when was competing for a spot on the Olympic team. If I recall correctly, he had reallyl nice spins, but couldn't land the jumps in competition.

Rohene Ward. he was supposed to be the second coming of Rudy Galindo for ABCSports... it didn't work. I felt bad for him mainly because he had Robin Wagner for a coach/mentor for a short time. That woman smothers a skater, I swear. It's all about her.

Last edited:

Phoenix347

Final Flight
That's what I'm saying... these kids LIKE to skate and will take a basic lesson - but long term? Not necessarily. But I don't think that's a "African Descent" issue but marketing and niche sport issues. And that cuts across all backgrounds.

In no way was this thread meant to be offensive to anyone. I'm sorry if you felt vaguely offended. I was merely noticing a lack of skater of a certain background and wondered why that might be. It may cut across all backgrounds but it seem to cut across some backgrounds more than others. For example, in spite of being only about 4.4 percent of US populations, there seem to be an abundance of Asian-Americans in figure skating, especially ladies. We can easily reel off names of prominent figure skaters; Kwan, Yamaguchi, Zhang, Nagasu, Bebe Liang, Christina Gao, Naomi Nari Nam, Tiffany Chin, etc.

African-Americans represent a much larger percentage of the population in the US than Asian-Americans and seem certainly physically and artistically able enough to become excellent figure skaters. However, their numbers in the ranks of competitive figure skaters does not seem to reflect their percentage of the population. And I was curious to why this might be.

Is it because African-American and people of African descent in other countries do not see many prominent figure skater that look like them? Is it because they do not see the monetary reward in it? After all, much more money can be made in popular sports like football, baseball and basketball.

However, except for basketball, there isn't a major professional national league for women in these sports. Even in basketball, the monetary rewards are significantly less than men's league. The sport that has the lowest monetary disparity between men and women sport seem to be Tennis. So what are all the African-American ladies doing? Why aren't they interested in figure skating? Didn't Debi Thomas and Tai Babolonia give them examples of what could be achieved? Are they being encouraged to play certain sports at schools because those are sports they are traditionally seen doing well in? (Track and field, basketball, football, etc.) Is it perhaps because of college scholarship possibilities? Is it more about the chicken and the egg question? This is what I am asking.