I miss Mao.. | Golden Skate

I miss Mao..

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yeah but you can't stay a baby ballerina forever. She needed to grow up at some point.

Aww, love little Mao! And yes she did need to grow up but it seems like some people just handle that better. Like Yuna, she went from being a cute little pixie to a hot sophisticated phenom without really going through an awkward phase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOndD839DJg

^^ litte Yuna, why did people not realize how amazing she is until recently? she seems pretty darn good there at 14

miki88

Medalist
In my opinion, I don't think Mao has reached her potential yet. When she was younger, she was a good jumper but was lacking in artistry department. Now that she is older, her artistry has improved but she now has problems with jumping. Her skate at 2006 SA was the closest she got to being good in both of these areas. I think Mao needs a good technical coach for her jumping programs.

M

mylastduchess

This is probably the best "grown-up" Mao I've Seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GfZW03lM4

Its kinda bit of a bumber that Yu-na had back problems when Mao was at her best and when Yu-na got her A game, Mao lost hers. It would be one great competition if those 2 ever face off with their best skate.

Last edited:

BlackAxel

Final Flight
In my opinion, I don't think Mao has reached her potential yet. When she was younger, she was a good jumper but was lacking in artistry department. Now that she is older, her artistry has improved but she now has problems with jumping. Her skate at 2006 SA was the closest she got to being good in both of these areas. I think Mao needs a good technical coach for her jumping programs.

I agree, Mao hasn't peaked at all. I think in a year or too, all her skills will come together from the technical jumping and the artistry that she has ben able to acquire from TAT. Overall, I would love for Mao to go back to Artunian to restore and reinforce her confidence in her jumps. Mao's main problem this season was her confidence in her jumps which many atrributed to as an example of her already "peaking."

miki88

Medalist
I agree, Mao hasn't peaked at all. I think in a year or too, all her skills will come together from the technical jumping and the artistry that she has ben able to acquire from TAT. Overall, I would love for Mao to go back to Artunian to restore and reinforce her confidence in her jumps. Mao's main problem this season was her confidence in her jumps which many atrributed to as an example of her already "peaking."

Not sure she should stay with TAT, because I don't think she helped Mao in the artistry department at least from the programs she has choreographed for her so far. The programs may be more suited for Russian skaters but not Mao. She should have Lori Nichol do the choreography for her again :thumbsup:

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
I was just watching Mao's past programs and it seems that even then she had a flutz, just it wasn't so heavily penalised by the technical panel. I remember at the 2007 Worlds when even though she'd flutzed she still went for it and still got some points. Even though she still might get edge calls on it I think there's about 3-5 points she's not actually getting by choosing to ignore the lutz altogether. Though I can understand if she's still a bit shaky and has put most of her eggs into that one 3-A basket...

I think she really needs a good technical coach to instill some confidence back into her jumps. She lacks confidence and hasn't been able to do a 3-3 in ages (UR calls are even worse than falling in terms of points).

roma

On the Ice
^They narrowed down the choices to Rachmaninoff and Lizst. I think TAT wanted her to go with Lizst but Mao said it's too soft and chose Bells.

Marrymeyunakim

On the Ice
It's interesting because prior to this season I actually thought Liebenstraum by Liszt would be absolutely PERFECT for Mao. I don't like this new dramatic music. It doesn't accentuate her strengths, and that won't enhance her points.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
^They narrowed down the choices to Rachmaninoff and Lizst. I think TAT wanted her to go with Lizst but Mao said it's too soft and chose Bells.

So maybe we should stop hating on Tat and start blaming Mao for this mess.