The dog ate my skates? | Golden Skate

The dog ate my skates?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Have American skate and boot manufacturers lost the recipe?
In this month alone, Tim, Michelle, and Lucash are all having
unresolvable boot problems. It's an epidemic out there...
?

So what do you think? Are these boot problems (and if so, what is the manufacturer problem?? Did they lose a key fitter or something?)

dpp?

Yazmeen

On the Ice
No manufacturer is perfect. A good friend of mine just had custom boots made in an unusual color of leather (pale pastel) by her usual bootmaker, and they turned out too big even though he had accurate measurements for her. It was the second pair the bootmaker put together--he tossed the first ones himself because he didn't like the way they turned out, looks wise. We wonder if its the leather that is creating the problem as its a bit different than the usual white or beige stock he uses.

That doesn't explain Timmy or Michelle's problems, but sometimes even a subtle, slight change can create major headaches for the skater.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI:

Skating boots are like bedroom slippers. You get that comfortable pair that you just can't part with, until you are forced to buy a new pair. At first they feel uncomfortable and stiff, but after awhile your feet conform to them and you slip into that comfort zone again. It just takes time to break in a new pair of skates. Most skaters have new skates at the beginning of a season. We don't often hear them talking about them, but with the "up close and personal" stuff ABC does, I guess the topic comes up.

You'd think with the boot problems Michelle has had and her financial situation, now would be a good time for Michelle to start "Kwan Skate Boots." On the ad, the subhead can be, "First to manufacture and distribute the figure skating hinged skate boot." (You knew I'd get that in on a boot thread.)
Rgirl

megsk8z

On the Ice
Very good, Rgirl. I wish for hinged boots, too. But with the exception of some synthetic skates, maybe we could blame the cows? They're just not growing them like they used to.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
megsk8z said:
Very good, Rgirl. I wish for hinged boots, too. But with the exception of some synthetic skates, maybe we could blame the cows? They're just not growing them like they used to.

HEY! Blame it on the poor COWS? Oh, I think NOT!

Moo!

megsk8z

On the Ice
Sorry, RealtorGal. But I knew that would get a rise out of you.

Seriously, a couple years back I was having problems with the lace hooks pulling out of the leather (and wow, was THAT a great splat!) and when I asked why this would happen since I'm not that hard on my boots I was told that they did have someone that was sewing the boots at that part who discovered that they had arthritis and didn't want to tell anyone since they still wanted to work there. The manufacturer did fix them for me free, shipping and all and that problem never happened again, but I can see where such a slight difference could lead to serious boot problems for elite competitors.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thanks for all this great info and stories of your own experiences. It just seemed odd to me that people like Tim and Michelle, who really earn a heckova living skating, and are not short of money, were unable to get boots that they really liked by the start of the season.

Rgirl, I'd love to see that hinged boot. Maybe Mike Weiss would try it...he's the only one out there that has done anyting to change boot structure, and even if I think the freedom skates are kinda silly, it shows an open mind.

dpp

skatepixie

On the Ice
The problem comanys, in my experence are SP teri (What Tim uses. My friend just got customs that are a size too small *rolls eyes*), Jackson (too cheeply made), and Graf (the synthetic material breaks down suddenly).

The hinged skate boot sounds like too much flex for Pixie. I like NO flexability in my boot. PERIOD!!!!!! The idea of even as much as a flex notch makes me want to SCREAM!!!!!

N

nthuz

What's all this about a hinged boot? I know of someone who is experimenting with just such a boot.