Who will stay and who will retire after this season? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who will stay and who will retire after this season?

quikrush

Rinkside
I suppose it's that Yuna had to overcome so many difficulties in the course of her career (my heart really goes out to that girl), that people are likely to assume she'd be wishing for some rest and peace of mind more than anything else. As a fan I'd be truly sorry to see her retire when her skating has achieved such amazing sophistry, yet I sometimes wonder if it might be selfish of me to hope against her retirement. If anyone deserves some rest from incessant mental pressure it's Yuna.

Of course, if she wishes to stay in and skate her way to many more spectacular programs, no one will be happier than I. Whatever she decides to do with her life after Vancouver, I wish her happiness and good luck...:love:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Men: I figure Plushenko (for good?), Weir, Lambiel, Lysacek, KvdP will all retire after 2010 or even right after the Olympics. I think Dai might stay until after 2011 Worlds in Japan and Joubert, who has spoken about wanting to continue, will stay on at least until 2012 Worlds (which will be in France) though he might do fewer events each year. Tomas Verner is a question mark - he's only 23 and I'm sure there's more he wants to achieve in skating, but he's been skating senior forever and probably has other goals, too.

Ladies: Julia Sebestyen obviously, Suguri, Ando, Kostner though maybe not immediately, Sarah Meier after 2011 (Euros in Switzerland), Poykio, Kiira Korpi at some point, probably Yu-Na, Joannie at some point, Yukari Nakano, Flatt (to go to college).

Pairs: S/Z, P/T, Morozov though maybe not Volosozhar, L/H, I/B. S/S depending on her recovery from mono and their results. Probably the Zhangs as well.

Dance: DomShabs, DelSchoes (after 20 years together!), the Kerrs - possibly after 2012 (Euros in the UK), F/S, B/A.

To those who wonder why retire so young: 1. there's only so much a body can take; the injuries some of these skaters have suffered are awful, and many skate in pain. 2. most have been skating seriously for many years and want something else now 3. the more successful skaters have opportunities they can cash in on 4. some may want to start families, and while it's possible to do that and still skate, it's not something that will work for everyone.

Last edited:

Wicked

Final Flight
Johnny will definitely retire and probably do fashion. But whatever he does, you know it will be interesting and we will be hearing from him! I think Johnny will have a most interesting retirement.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Joannie if she medals will retire and marry her speedskater boyfriend.

Alissa I tend to think will retire, especially if she goes to the Olympics, probably even if she doesn't. I see her as getting married and having kids sometime soon, no clue why. She also said she's interested in grad school and modeling so I think she has other plans.

Yuna I think will stick around unless she wins OGM and gold at worlds. There would really be no reason for her to stay if she wins both those gold medals - nowhere to go but down. But I don't know, she's so good she might as well stick around unless she is injured/has the desire to go to college or get married.

Mao will stick around, I think Akiko will too, and Miki. If Miki medals at the Olympics and Worlds I don't think she will retire.

Fumie and Julia are old, I think they are done, same for Polykio.

The other European ladies I think will stick around, as most of there competitors compete until they are about 30. I definitely don't think Kostner is done yet.

futureidol

On the Ice
Weir has no plans on retiring after this season unless he "makes his mark in the history of the sport this year" (I assume that would mean an Olympic or World title). He stated this in a recent Russian interview. In fact he and his mother have implied he will most likely skate another season no matter what :rock:

I have no clue why people keep saying he'll hang up the skates after this season.

N

n_halifax

Skaters I would not be surprised see retire/turn pro after this season include:

Evgeni Plushenko, Brian Joubert, Stephane Lambiel, Evan Lysacek, Kevin van der Perren, Jenna McCorkell, Julia Sebestyen, Miki Ando, Fumie Suguri (you never know...), Delobel/Shoenfelder, Shen/Zhao, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Dube/Davison, Shawn Sawyer, Ryan Bradley...

samba

On the Ice
My guess for US: Men: Weir, Evan, Bradley(?)
Ladies: Alissa (modeling?), Hughes (back to school), Sasha
Pairs: I/B (aging), Brooke/Ben (? too much injury)
Icedance: B/A (her modeling dream job?) , D/W (if win Oly medal any color, go to school), N/B (aging, however, not sure since no future plan?)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Seniorita, Happy New Year!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dream on dear, dream on!!!
happy new year too:)
Oh no no, actually that would be a nightmare and a bad bad idea:eek: not a dream, if he doesnt retire after these Olympics, I will go to the rink and drag him out by the ear (or nose) and make him write 100 times the sentence "I wont come back again":laugh:

Nice to hear that Johnny wants to compete more.:clap:

Wicked

Final Flight
Weir has no plans on retiring after this season unless he "makes his mark in the history of the sport this year" (I assume that would mean an Olympic or World title). He stated this in a recent Russian interview. In fact he and his mother have implied he will most likely skate another season no matter what :rock:

I have no clue why people keep saying he'll hang up the skates after this season.

Johnny has said at different points in his career that he was close to quitting. He's also said that there are so many other things he wants to do. Skating is not the only thing Johnny's interested in. That's why I think he may quit after this season. I'm hoping he makes that mark in skating history and goes on to do the other interesting things he says he wants to. But before he does completely retire from skating, I hope he does at least one ice show that I can go to in DC. :) I'm dying to see this guy live!

herios

Medalist
:clap: Unless she has injury issues, I don't see why she would retire especially right after this season. Yuna can't live a "normal" life anyway even if she retired.

After reading through this thread, the most surprising of those listed is indeed Yu-Na, because I cannot foresee a normal life for her going forward anyway and she is still young and we are not living in a era where show skating is really a full time job (except SOI), which would be underwhelming as far as I am concerned for Yu-na and Daisuke, he is just getting back recovering from a very serious injury and he got everything back except the quad and his artistry is going places. i think there could a few world titles within his reach in the next few years for him and would be insane to quit if he feels he can skate well.
A name which have not been mentioned and I just read today an article which made me sad is that Patrick Chan made a comment that he cannot see himself skating beyond Vancouver! He wouid be interested in pursuing other things.That would be pitty.

schiele

Final Flight
I think most of these comments about Yuna quitting (including by me as well) come from the interview with her father, where he mentioned he wanted her to quit after olympics and start a family life. I remember this interview was posted a while back, maybe like 5-6 moths ago. Also adding to this suspicion was to hear some vague and even allusive answers from Yuna and Orser about her continuing beyond 2010.
I actually think that before attributing ppl's comments about Yuna's retirement to hatred and creating conspiracy theories, it would be nice to give the benefit of the doubt. I am personally in awe of Yuna's skating and absolutely adore her and I was very very upset when I read her father's interview about him wanting her to quit after Vancouver. I am sure a lot of other ppl feel the same way but have their suspicions about her continuing, like me.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Most of the skaters have had anything but a "normal life" in the past quadrennial.

While some of the younger skaters may hang in for another Olympics, I could definitely understand if Yu-Na was tired of the papparazzi circus and wanted to hang up her competitive skates. Mao is probably more resigned to the media hubbub and may want to stay in through Sochi.

Miki Ando is 22 and probably won't stay in for Sochi and is a possible retiree, if not this year, then perhaps next year. Suzuki turns 25 in March and will probably stay in for at least a couple more years. Nakano, at 24, has probably peaked already.

Rochette will be 24 next week and it's unlikely she will stay around for the next Olympics. If she wins an Olympic medal, I'd expect her to go on to Worlds and then retire. If she doesn't medal in Vancouver, then she might stay on for one more year and then pack it in.

Kostner turns 23 in February, and if she is unable to resuscitate her skating, she might want to retire as well. But Marchei will be 24 in May, and since there's no rising Italian lady out there, the Italian federation might encourage both ladies to stay on for at least two more years.

Figure88

On the Ice
I think most of these comments about Yuna quitting (including by me as well) come from the interview with her father, where he mentioned he wanted her to quit after olympics and start a family life. I remember this interview was posted a while back, maybe like 5-6 moths ago. Also adding to this suspicion was to hear some vague and even allusive answers from Yuna and Orser about her continuing beyond 2010.

I'm wondering which interviews from Yuna or Orser you're thinking about because in the interviews I've seen, they've never mentioned anything about retiring or left me with an impression that they were hinting at it. Her father did mention something about wanting the family to be together but he has had very little input into her skating decisions in comparision to her mother who singlehandedly created her skating career out of nothing, and I get the impression she wants Yuna to have a long and prolific career. Not that I think her mother is pushing her, but Yuna skates because she wants to.

The presumption is that most skaters will stay on until after they've peaked and can no longer win medals and skate at the same level. Usually, most skaters retire because of injuries/age and they can no longer repeat prior successes, not when they are in their skating prime.

psycho

On the Ice

:rofl: Look, I understand why you would want to believe that, I will miss him too, but that's ridiculous.

Weir's been making a run for the hills since the last Olympics, and the only thing holding him back for the last 3 years is a leash Galina has him on. And despite that, he's tried to chew through the leash a couple of times already. :rofl:

Sorry, but Weir is leaving. And I am happy for him, even though personally, I wish he would never quit.

jennylovskt

Medalist

This is something new. Could you please provide the link for the Russian interview? Thanks!:)

As of Olympic or World title,:rofl: it can only be a dream. Sorry.

schiele

Final Flight
I'm wondering which interviews from Yuna or Orser you're thinking about because in the interviews I've seen, they've never mentioned anything about retiring or left me with an impression that they were hinting at it. Her father did mention something about wanting the family to be together but he has had very little input into her skating decisions in comparision to her mother who singlehandedly created her skating career out of nothing, and I get the impression she wants Yuna to have a long and prolific career. Not that I think her mother is pushing her, but Yuna skates because she wants to.

The presumption is that most skaters will stay on until after they've peaked and can no longer win medals and skate at the same level. Usually, most skaters retire because of injuries/age and they can no longer repeat prior successes, not when they are in their skating prime.

I think the one I remember more clearly was from Orser where when asked he said they'll see after olympics what'll be in terms fof 2014 Sochi. He mentioned he could see Yuna competing but first they'll look at what'll happen in Vancouver or smth along the lines.. I found it a bit vague. These comments came close to the time the interview with his father was published so it depressed me..
Seeing Yuna and Mao both continue and bring us a showdown a la Yags and Plushy would be a dream come true for ladies skating.. :bow::bow:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
plushy will come back for 2014&2018, this is a threat:cool:

Is he going to be skating with a cane? The youngsters will be on his heels; He may want to rethink this after the 2010 Games....of course you are pulling our legs right?

:rofl:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

Maybe Yuna will retire then comeback for the 2014 Olympics like Plushy has done this season.

quikrush

Rinkside
After reading through this thread, the most surprising of those listed is indeed Yu-Na, because I cannot foresee a normal life for her going forward anyway and she is still young and we are not living in a era where show skating is really a full time job (except SOI), which would be underwhelming as far as I am concerned for Yu-na and Daisuke, he is just getting back recovering from a very serious injury and he got everything back except the quad and his artistry is going places. i think there could a few world titles within his reach in the next few years for him and would be insane to quit if he feels he can skate well.

ITA about Daisuke. Why quit now when he's polished his artistry to near perfection and he's well on his way to getting his jumps back? At least Yuna already has a world title but Dai should have enough movitation to keep him going.