Decline in ladies FS in Europe | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Decline in ladies FS in Europe

ankka

Rinkside
Finland has now Poykio, Korpi and Lepisto, but they aren't that young. What will be after them, now that the promising Vahaama gave away skating?

Having watched Finnish Chapionships, we certainly do have a lot of promising juniors: Alisa Mikonsaari scored 133 and parts in the ladies' (she's 16), in juniors the top skaters are still very young. The champion Beata Papp skated in Novice last year but already has all triples apart from the lutz and lands even triple toe-triple toe combinationts frequently in practice (season's best 127 and parts) at only 14 years of age, Cecilia Törn has a similar jump layout and there are many more promising juniors. Also, all of them seem to have very good spins and spirals, so the future seems bright.

And Vähämaa has stated she is on a break so it is expected she will return. In what level, no one knows.

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
I think it's one of those things that comes and goes. Russia has some really good young talents, as does France, Sweden & Germany.

Russia has some really promising talents! But France, Sweden and Germany? Who are those girls? No girl from these countries qualified for the JGPF (three americans, three russians and a japanese girl were present). Are they in the novice circuit such as the young promising Russians Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva? I'm really curious.
Germany - maybe you thought about Sarah Hecken?

ankka, I'm relieved there are more Finnish talented youngsters. Hope they improve and continue skating.

schiele, I really hope that FS in Turkey can continue to increase the level! :) Tugba is such a lovely girl.

Denis Ten may have made it out of Kazahkstan, Elene Gedevanishvili out of Georgia (as two examples) but they are in the minority and I think in many of these countries the training conditions and coaches available for homegrown skaters who don't wish to/can't afford to travel abroad to improve their coaching is a challenge in itself.

Unfortunately Georgia and Kazakhstan are not rich countries so there is a lack of facilities and funding. The only way is to train in Russia and USA. But Georgia has political problems with Russia. I'm sure that Elene would have been a better skater if the political situation between those two country hadn't deteriorated.

Last edited: