Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Predictions

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Elene Gedevanishvilli has a 3t-3t planned in her SP and LP, she doesn't always do it but I have seen her land it beautifully before (she did at 2009 jr worlds). She has no flip but has a good 3lutz. Elena Glebova and Sarah Hecken also both have really goo 3t-3t that they rarely miss.
    Gedevanishvilli also has no loop.
    Both Glebova and Hecken has no lutz and no flip

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
    Gedevanishvilli also has no loop.
    Both Glebova and Hecken has no lutz and no flip
    Glebova used to have a lutz - she attempted it as her solo jump in the short program in previous seasons.

Medalist
    Why so much hype on Makarova? She is still young and her PB is 152,69 (except the nationals). These are her 1st Europeans, well, it's possible that she can surprise us but I wouldn't count on her too much.

Jumps are not the only element in programs as you of course know. Besides there are some good jumpers but there's a big lack of something else. Basic skating skills might be weak. Eg. Sebestyen is strong jumper but her transitions have been always sooo boring and also Marchei is a bit messy (imho). If you look the whole picture, the strongest skaters are imho Lepistö, Kostner, Korpi, Meier and with some expectations Sebestyen (strong jumps but that's all), Pöykiö (too slow) Leonova (too hasty) and Gedevanishvili (uncertain, depends on the day). I've seen only one program of Makarova, she is talented and I like her style but she still has some junior features, naturally (she is 17).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTheMusician View Post
    Why so much hype on Makarova? She is still young and her PB is 152,69 (except the nationals). These are her 1st Europeans, well, it's possible that she can surprise us but I wouldn't count on her too much.

Jumps are not the only element in programs as you of course know. Besides there are some good jumpers but there's a big lack of something else. Basic skating skills might be weak. Eg. Sebestyen is strong jumper but her transitions have been always sooo boring and also Marchei is a bit messy (imho). If you look the whole picture, the strongest skaters are imho Lepistö, Kostner, Korpi, Meier and with some expectations Sebestyen (strong jumps but that's all), Pöykiö (too slow) Leonova (too hasty) and Gedevanishvili (uncertain, depends on the day). I've seen only one program of Makarova, she is talented and I like her style but she still has some junior features, naturally (she is 17).
    You can't compare junior scores and senior scores, and she did beat Alena Leonova at Russian Nationals. If people think Leonova has a shot at medaling at the OLYMPICS (which I think is very far fetched) than certainly Makarova has a shot to medal at EUROPEANS. Realistically, who else is consistently better? Kostner will probably implode again and Lepisto will do maybe do two triple loops and a triple toe in the free. Leonova's pretty consistent but I'd say she and Makarova are very comparable. Sarah Meier is normally good but also injured and she gets very low levels on spins. Poykio has been imploding all season, Kiira's a headcase, Marchei only seems so great in comparison to Carolina's recent devastating performances, Gedevanishvilli is hit or miss, haven't seen much of Glebova recently, and Sebestyen will most likely double everything in the FS.

The hype about Makarova is that she consistently lands 5 to 6 triples in the FS. No other European lady does except Leonova. I expect they will be on the podium accompanied by either Lepisto or Kostner depending on who pulls together a decent long.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by n_halifax View Post
    Glebova used to have a lutz - she attempted it as her solo jump in the short program in previous seasons.
    and Elene Ged. used to have a Flip, she attempted 3f+3T combo in 2006 and also in 2008-TEB fs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by taaak View Post
    and Elene Ged. used to have a Flip, she attempted 3f+3T combo in 2006 and also in 2008-TEB fs.
    Yeah, it gave her trouble a lot and I think was lip so she abandoned it sometime last year.

Custom Title
    The hype about Makarova is that she consistently lands 5 to 6 triples in the FS. No other European lady does except Leonova. I expect they will be on the podium accompanied by either Lepisto or Kostner depending on who pulls together a decent long.
    I agree about the two Russian ladies. For the third spot on the podium I must say I also agree on Lepisto and Kostner (if she skates decently clean, and land at least 4 jumps), but I would throw in also Meier (though I don't know also how she's doing), Korpi (didn't she win LP at nats?and then she has the best seasonal best for an European ladies) and Marchei (she wants the podium and has a competitive character, plus she's fighting for an oly spot, if she can handle good this pressure, I think she can deliver two good programs).

I take from ISUsites preview the data:
    best seasonal PB:

Korpi 163.27
    Leonova 160.85
    Sebestyen 159.03
    Lepisto 158.52
    Kostner 154.18 (but she has also 167.40 at Merano Cup, don't know why the ISU doesnt'count it)
    Makarova 147.29 (in JGPF, she did also 152.69 a Nice, also ISU doesn't count it)

Marchei 158.93 (in Dormund NRW trophy)
    Gedevanishvili 144.19 (don't know if it's her SB, was done at Skate America)
    Meier ?
    Poykio ?

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Is there any recent news on Aliona and Robin? Will they be able to skate at Europeans given her illness? I wish her good, strong health, so they can be ready for the Olympics!

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Is there any recent news on Aliona and Robin? Will they be able to skate at Europeans given her illness? I wish her good, strong health, so they can be ready for the Olympics!
    I think she's fine. They've already arrived in Tallinn.

You can see their arrival here: http://sport.err.ee/index.php?0&popup=video&id=9244.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    yes, the blood test showed it was only flu, not EppsteinBarr (or whatever else..)

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    I think she's fine. They've already arrived in Tallinn.

You can see their arrival here: http://sport.err.ee/index.php?0&popup=video&id=9244.

Quote Originally Posted by kiz_4Ever View Post
    yes, the blood test showed it was only flu, not EppsteinBarr (or whatever else..)
    OMG! Thank you, thank you for the terrific news! Allez Aliona & Robin! So glad you are better, Aliona!
    Last edited by museksk8r; 01-17-2010 at 09:30 PM.

Pairs

1. Aliona SAVCHENKO / Robin SZOLKOWY (GER)
    2. Maria MUKHORTOVA / Maxim TRANKOV (RUS)
    3. Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Stanislav MOROZOV (UKR)
    4. Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV (RUS)
    5. Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV (RUS)

Men

1. Evgeni PLUSHENKO (RUS)
    2. Michal BREZINA (CZE)
    3. Alban PRÉAUBERT (FRA)
    4. Stéphane LAMBIEL (SUI)
    5. Brian JOUBERT (FRA)

Ladies

1. Alena LEONOVA (RUS)
    2. Julia SEBESTYEN (HUN)
    3. Ksenia MAKAROVA (RUS)
    4. Laura LEPISTO (FIN)
    5. Kiira KORPI (FIN)

Ice dancing

1. Jana KHOKHLOVA / Sergei NOVITSKI (RUS)
    2. Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT (FRA)
    3. Federica FAIELLA / Massimo SCALI (ITA)
    4. Sinead KERR / John KERR (GBR)
    5. Oksana DOMNINA / Maxim SHABALIN (RUS)

Hmm, slightly crazy. Is probably the advanced hour.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kiz_4Ever View Post
    I agree about the two Russian ladies. For the third spot on the podium I must say I also agree on Lepisto and Kostner (if she skates decently clean, and land at least 4 jumps), but I would throw in also Meier (though I don't know also how she's doing), Korpi (didn't she win LP at nats?and then she has the best seasonal best for an European ladies) and Marchei (she wants the podium and has a competitive character, plus she's fighting for an oly spot, if she can handle good this pressure, I think she can deliver two good programs).

I take from ISUsites preview the data:
    best seasonal PB:

Korpi 163.27
    Leonova 160.85
    Sebestyen 159.03
    Lepisto 158.52
    Kostner 154.18 (but she has also 167.40 at Merano Cup, don't know why the ISU doesnt'count it)
    Makarova 147.29 (in JGPF, she did also 152.69 a Nice, also ISU doesn't count it)

Marchei 158.93 (in Dormund NRW trophy)
    Gedevanishvili 144.19 (don't know if it's her SB, was done at Skate America)
    Meier ?
    Poykio ?
    Elene Ged got a 162.48 at worlds last year, Makarova's scores are all from juniors so are lower.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Back to the Men: with the exception of dancingqueen who is going for Verner, and jemy who's picking Lambiel...are there any other brave souls who will go against the Plushy tsunami?? OK, I'm going to go for Joubert (and I'm not even a fan of his, just got a gut feeling for this competition...)
    1. Joubert
    2. Plushy
    3. Lambiel
    4. Brezina
    5. Contesti

With Verner and Preaubert as my wildcards for anywhere in #3-5 positions.
    I volunteer to go up against the Plushy tsunami (mostly because my predictions usually end up to be laughably wrong anyways and it's probably the second-last chance for me to be a shamelessly delusional Lambiel-fan), so, without further ado...

1. Lambiel (he'll miss the 3A, but hit the 4T and dazzle with his new LP...ha)
    2. Plushenko (injury will work its woes)
    3. Joubert
    4. Brezina
    5. Verner (love him, but he's probably headed towards a meltdown in at least one portion of the competition)

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    1. Evgeni PLUSHENKO (RUS)
    2. Michal BREZINA (CZE)
    3. Alban PRÉAUBERT (FRA)
    4. Stéphane LAMBIEL (SUI)
    5. Brian JOUBERT (FRA)

5. Oksana DOMNINA / Maxim SHABALIN (RUS)
    wow medusa, you wrote the predictions backwards???Joubert 5, stephan 4, plush 1?And oksana-maxim fifth? Is it an anti-jinx method?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast