Alissa is ready! | Golden Skate

Alissa is ready!

OK, Alissa Czisny can pack her bag for Vancouver, with a brief stopover in Spokane. :laugh: I just saw her do her final pre-Nationals performance at the Detroit Skating Club send-off event. She did her complete long program (Dr. Zhivago, purple dress).

She hit 3Lz+2T+2Lo (+1 GOE),
3F (0 GOE -- landing maybe not quite as secure as her other jumps),
I couldn't quite see the next jump, probably a triple loop, no problem that I could tell,
2A (excellent, +1 GOE, but no sequence)
3Lz (step out of landing, possibly underrotated)
3T+2T, good
I couldn't tell what the last triple was, maybe another loop, looked good to me.

Spiral sequence and spins outstanding, best-in-the-world class. Excellent speed, fine interpretation and choreography. Secure landings on all her jumps but one. with superior flow-out. I scored it at 135.39. :)

There is something about the cut of the music that isn't quite right, in my humble opinion. The timing of the first spiral to the first occurance of the main theme ("Somewhere My Love") isn't quite spot on, to me (she should turn into it on "somewhere" and open up fully on "my love," or something like that :) ), and then the theme disappears too abruptly.

Overall, a super perfrormance. It should be a big confidence booster going into Nationals. :yes: :love: :love:

Jeremy Abbott, Davis and White, and a slew of other Spokane-bound skaters also performed. I will give a complete report in Sylvia's "Send-off" thread in the Announcements folder.

Last edited:
Great to hear, Mathman!

I watched Boitano's special on New Year's Day. Czisny's spins were so superb: they seemed to get faster as they went on. It's elements like this that make me especially eager to see her do well in Nationals. She's not just a pretty girl who looks nice on the ice. She has real quality in her movements, and wonderful musical interpretation. Now, if only her jumps don't let her down....

It makes me very hopeful that she's been working with Boitano and Linda Leaver. Maybe this has given her some substance jumpwise. Fingers are crossed!

skyblue710

Rinkside
Thanks for your report, Mathman! I hope Alissa does well at the Nationals.

I found a couple of recent videos of Allisa on Youtube. These are from when she skated at Galleria Dallas on Dec. 19, 2009. I find her skating just exquisite.

Practice
Performance

silverlake22

Record Breaker
OK, Alissa Czisny can pack her bag for Vancouver, with a brief stopover in Spokane. :laugh: I just saw her do her final pre-Nationals performance at the Detroit Skating Club send-off event. She did her complete long program (Dr. Zhivago, purple dress).

That's great news! Although the real test will be to see if she can be spot on at nationals, defending her first national title. Wouldn't that be cool if Alissa of all people successfully defended her first national title during an Olympic year. That being said, I'm sure all the other ladies are working and pushing hard right now too: they all obviously REALLY want one of the Olympic spots to be theirs. Can't wait for nationals, if everyone is at her best, it will be amazing!

I found a couple of recent videos of Allisa on Youtube. These are from when she skated at Galleria Dallas on Dec. 19, 2009. I find her skating just exquisite.

Practice
Performance

Thanks for the links! That was great! I really liked the practice video. She stood in her opening pose for 35 seconds waiting for the music to start. :laugh: Who was the guy in the red sweater that was following her? That was funny when she changed directions suddenly and bumped into him.

As for the performance, all I can say is, if I looked that good in a little black Audrey Hepburn dress, I would put one on and never change clothes again. :laugh:

It was also funny when she skated behind that big pillar. The crowd went wild. She must have been doing something spectacular, but from our "seats" she just disappeared for a while and then came skating back around the corner. :)

I hope her friendship with Brian Boitano leads to many more opportunities for her to perform.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Glad to hear she skated well, but I would not want to be in her shoes at Nationals as defending champion and the pressure of having to place in the top two to make the olympic team. Nerves are always what does her in, and nationals this year will be a whole new level of nerves.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Sounds good Mathman... I really want to see her make it to the Olympics in spite of what some of her detractors may think.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for the report, but...what she just did was a pressure-free show (at least from a competitor's POV). Czisny is DEFENDING champ, she's going to have it tough and with this being her only true shot at an Oly team, and her history of dealing with pressure, I seriously doubt she's up to the challenge...sorry Alyssa fans...anyway, her Nats performance has the final say.

Sentimentally I'd go for Wagner (or Nagasu even) over Czisny but Czisny over Cohen or Zhang or "SS". Assuming Flatt has the other spot in the bag, that is (which I'd like to say she doesn't)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Thanks for the report, but...what she just did was a pressure-free show (at least from a competitor's POV). Czisny is DEFENDING champ, she's going to have it tough and with this being her only true shot at an Oly team, and her history of dealing with pressure, I seriously doubt she's up to the challenge...sorry Alyssa fans...anyway, her Nats performance has the final say.

Sentimentally I'd go for Wagner (or Nagasu even) over Czisny but Czisny over Cohen or Zhang or "SS". Assuming Flatt has the other spot in the bag, that is (which I'd like to say she doesn't)

I totally agree. Those Olympics spots are up for anyone's grabs and it's going to come down to who has the strength to stay on her feet.

i love to skate

Medalist
Thanks for the report! I wish her all the best at Nationals...hopefully she can skate up to her capabilities! I don't think there will be too much pressure on her at Nats. If Sasha shows up people are pretty much going to forget that Alissa won last year. All Alissa has to do is finish in the top two which she is more than capable of.

I had seen the videos of her performance to Oh Holy Night earlier and I have to say that is the most ridiculous set up for a rink that I have ever seen. Why is there a giant pillar in the middle of it?? :confused:

Last edited:

Phoenix347

Final Flight
Thanks for the report! I wish her all the best at Nationals...hopefully she can skate up to her capabilities! I don't think there will be too much pressure on her at Nats. If Sasha shows up people are pretty much going to forget that Alissa won last year. All Alissa has to do is finish in the top two which she is more than capable of.

I had seen the videos of her performance to Oh Holy Night and I have to say that is the most ridiculous set up for a rink that I have ever seen. Why is there a giant pillar in the middle of it?? :confused:

That's a gigantic Christmas tree. It's placement was a rather unfortunate. Half the video I was staring at the giant pillar because she was skating behind it!! Still a lovely performance.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Thats wondeful news about her send off performance:love: I wish her the very best at Nationals:yes: If Sasha doesnt show, I want the 2 for the Olympics to be Mirai & Alissa :rock:

The show at the Galleria in Dallas was beautiful. The placement of the tree sucked for the show, however Im sure its great for the public skates. People probably love "skating" around a huge tree:)

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks for the report from Detroit and also for the Dallas clips.
The black dress is really nice :love: - but I have to say Alissa is always so well dressed.

Nice to feel the support here for Alissa as she prepares to defend her National championship and tries to earn a spot on the Olympic team.

The pressure will be intense but I think Alissa can do it :yes:

Go Alissa :clap: :rock:

Proud AA member (Alissa Anonymous) :)

just wondering

On the Ice
How exciting. Alissa is ready indeed. Since you're in the Detroit area MM, see to it that she packs that program and confidence in her bag of tricks for Spokane ~ then Vancouver.
I hope all the other "contender" and "challenger" ladies are having fantastic shows & practices as well. Will be a very exciting Nationals. The ladies event may not have a big name front runner to draw the crowds, but it sure could have drama for those of us who know a little background! . . . not much longer . . .:thumbsup:

I can mention also that the place was packed for the Detroit show. I believe the seating capacity is about 600, they had to set up extra folding chairs, and there were still many specators standing. This was especially impressive because the event was not well pubicized (I learned about it only by Sylvia posting on Golden Skate), and was very much a local club send-off for its own members.

The Detroit Skating Club has 25 skaters/teams competing at U.S. Natioinals, Junior Nationals, Europeans (the Czech ice dance team of Hajkova and Vincour) and Canadian Nationals.

Tinymavy said:
And who can rotate their jumps.

The most impressive part of Alissa's performance was the quality of the run-out on her jump landings. In warm-ups she reeled off one triple Lutz after another. I have a feeling in my heart that this might be her time. ::agree:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The most impressive part of Alissa's performance was the quality of the run-out on her jump landings. In warm-ups she reeled off one triple Lutz after another. I have a feeling in my heart that this might be her time. ::agree:

That would be great if it is, but I felt the same way about Alissa four years ago and then I was so sad after nationals when she didn't make the Olympic team. One thing is for sure, the pressure is going to be INTENSE at nationals, especially for Alissa as national champ. I imagine Rachael and Sasha if she shows up will also be under a lot of pressure. In reality it's going to be intense and emotional for everyone there, I don't know if any of the ladies that will be there have ever experienced pressure like what will be at nationals before (except Sasha at the Olympics obviously, but we still don't know if she will show). Two spots and no lock or clear frontrunner....how exciting will it be if everyone brings her A game :agree::rock: