Do Nats' results affect international judging? | Golden Skate

Do Nats' results affect international judging?

sorcerer

Final Flight
F'rinstance when a skater gets more UR calls than usual at Nats, will that affect the skater's score in his/her next games like Olys or Worlds?

Most top skaters (except maybe Takahashi) got harsh calls from the tech-panel at the last Japanese Nats, resulting in low TES. It's true IMO that they were excessively severe.
Some fans in Japan say that this results from JSF's (suspected) instruction to the TP to be severe in their callings, which aim was to send messages to skaters where to work hard on, heading towards Olys.
On the other hand some fans are worried that this may encourage the international TP to be severe on those skaters' elements at Olys. They say the TP at Nats gave international TPs an excuse to deduct bravely the executions of those skaters whenever they come on borderline.

Or more generally, do international judges pay attention to each country's such Nat's results?
And do they ever care f'rinstance if he/she is the champ of his/her country in giving PCS scores?

As I see it, the answer is no, but any other thoughts?

Last edited:

Basics

On the Ice
F'rinstance when a skater gets more UR calls than usual at Nats, will that affect the skater's score in his/her next games like Olys or Worlds?

Most top skaters (except maybe Takahashi) got harsh calls from the tech-panel at the last Japanese Nats, resulting in low TES. It's true IMO that they were excessively severe.Some fans in Japan say that this results from JSF's (suspected) instruction to the TP to be severe in their callings, which aim was to send messages to skaters where to work hard on, heading towards Olys.
On the other hand some fans are worried that this may encourage the international TP to be severe on those skaters' elements at Olys. They say the TP at Nats gave international TPs an excuse to deduct bravely the executions of those skaters whenever they come on borderline.

Or more generally, do international judges pay attention to each country's such Nat's results?
And do they ever care f'rinstance if he/she is the champ of his/her country in giving PCS scores?

As I see it, the answer is no, but any other thoughts?

I have to disagree. I watched Mao and Daisuke's LPs and checked their protocal, and I have to say the judges were very generous to both of them. Well, since you mentioned Daisuke (who benefited the most) , let me just talk about Mao. Even though most of her doubles were downgraded, some of her UR triples were untouched. It was quite obvious that her first triple filp was under-rotated. Also, her triple axel was exactly the same quality as the one in SP. Talking about TES, it wasn't low at all. She received plus GOEs which she hasn't gotten in quite a long time, not to mention her exceptionally high PCS. It was just another Nat after all.

IMO, International judges only care about the Nat placement, not the score.

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I have seen evidence that ISU scores affect National scores, but I haven't seen any indication that National scores affect ISU scores.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I do not know if national scoring affects international judging. But good showing at nationals affecting international judging might be possible. i.e., we now know that Mao is getting out of the slump.