Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: It's Official: Alexei is Going Pro

How long till the new season?
    Writing thank-you notes to GS for their kind hospitality......

It's Official: Alexei is Going Pro

Originally seen at AYDG:

According to Russian press, "the Olympic champion Alexei Yagudin is going to leave amateur sports. This sensational news was informed by the president of national Federation of fugure skating Valentine Piseev, who got fax from Yagudin. So informs ITAR-TASS. The four-time world champion considers, that " has achieved everything that he wanted on this field, and now is going to try itself in the other direction ". As it is informed in a fax, Yagudin is going to publish the official announcement of the his decision on November, 1. Yagudin has thanked federation and its president for everything, that was made for him during his sports career. "
    www.rtr-sport.ru/news?sec...5666#45666
    As much as I'm going to miss seeing him compete on the eligible level, I think this is the smartest decision he could make. I'd much rather see Alexei skate pro than compete on the Oly level and destroy his hip completely.

Not much of a surprise. He will definitely be missed, but I never really believed in his comeback.

Tripping on the Podium
    This is probably a wise decision. I'm sure he realizes he could never beat Plush again unless he (Plush) has a meltdown. Now I suppose I'll have to duck all the flames!

Rinkside
    Sad for the sport, but the best decision for Alexei. The most important thing is ones health.

OlderBear I agree he cannot beat Evgeni in his current condition. So why not leave eligible skating and build a successful pro/coaching career.

Custom Title
    I don't think there's someone shock about this news, we all see it coming. That hip seemed that never healed entirely, it's probably the best for Alexei, he can keep skating but on other level, the professional one and it seems it's going pretty well, as well as his coaching career.
    I might not be a fan of him but it's always sad when someone announce his retirement from competitons because fans don't get to see them as much as if the skater were competing, but I tink it's best for him to retire now than keep competing with that injured hip.
    So Alexei, I wish you a good pro career because you surely deserve one.

SkateCynic, you beat me to this.

From Sovsport:

The fax: "I've decided to give up my eligible status [literally: to part with amateur figure skating]. I've achieved everything in this field I've wanted, and now I want to pursue other directions [try my hand at other things]. I'm going to make an official statement on Nov 1, 2003. I'd like to wish you all the best and thank you for everything you've done for me."

Piseev told Sovsport: "It's really unfortunate that Alexei has been forced to part with amateur sport. With him leaving Evgeni Plushenko is not going to have such a strong competitor. And I, too, on my part, would like to thank Yagudin for everything he's done for Russia and figure skating, and wish him success in his new projects."

Originally posted by Olderbear
    This is probably a wise decision. I'm sure he realizes he could never beat Plush again unless he (Plush) has a meltdown. Now I suppose I'll have to duck all the flames!
    You're not another reincarnation of someone who really can't help herself (I presume) and try to make almost every thread she posts in about "Yagudin against Plushenko" by any chance?

Custom Title
    This is somewhat sad news, but completely understandable. I will miss the intensity and drama that Yagudin brought to the ice, but I'm glad he's chosen not to go the Tara route and opt for a plastic hip 60 years early. But...I still worry. The pro world is in tatters. Perhaps Alexei will help stimulate a bit more interest in the professional world.

On the Ice
    Alexei could be the Kristi the pro world has been waiting for to revive it.

Custom Title
    As much as I love the guy, I wish he would just make up his mind already. First he's staying eligible, then he's not, then he's staying but taking time off, then hes trying to coach too.
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    Laura

Can anyone tell me what "going Pro means"?

As far as I know he's been in SOI, and COI both are high paying jobs, and he's done some professional coaching. Yet he has the option to skate eligible, if he wanted.

I just don't see if there is such a thing as 'ineligible'.

From what he's done, it seems to me he has been eligible as well as pro all the time.

Joe

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar

It's Official: Alexei is Going Pro

Elvis made his exit, now Alexi. They both have that drive to compete. Both great skaters will be missed, but it is inevitable.

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds

Exclamation

Well, I am not totally surprised by the news and yet I am surprised. Does that even make sense?! I think its the best decision for his health though. At any rate, I think he is missed in the eligible world but I wish him all the best in his new endeavors. And I still look foward to seeing him skate with SOI again this spring. :D

Custom Woman
    Joe--Going pro only matters if you're a US skater and want to skate for and/or are hired by SOI. Skating for COI, you're right, you can still be eligible as a US skater. As a Russian skater, I think Yags is probably making this announcement more as a formality and to stop the speculation as to when he will return to eligible competition.

BronzeisGolden--Tara turned pro right after Nagano and it did not prevent her from needing hip surgery. Both Yags and Tara may need hip replacement surgery at a relatively young age, but their injuries got started during their eligible careers and IMO were problems neither of them could have foreseen. Both Yags and Tara had to face both great achievement and tough lessons at very young ages.

Yagudin brought both great technique and great passion to men's figure skating. Sadly, by the '02 Olympics, which was his greatest season of achievement, he seemed he was just starting to really mature as an athlete and an artist. Heartbreaking to see someone of such great talent not be able to fulfill his potential, but it's one of the risks that comes with a sport like skating, especially with the demand for jumps being what they were when Yags was competing. I hope he finds satisfaction in pro skating and still protect his hip--SOI is no walk in the park and Yags was hired to be their big jump man. No matter how you cut it, it's going to be a difficult psychological transition. I hope he does well and can continue to move his life forward. He was always very competitive and he's still young enough where competition is natural. I can remember him saying all he wanted was "medals, medals, medals." It's hard to reset your goals when you're at your competitive peak, but I wish him the best in doing it successfully.
    Rgirl

Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    I'll make it short:
    Thanks a lot, Alexei - for some of the most precious, emotional and nail-biting moments in (eligible) figure skating since I'm watching it. I'll miss you!

Anke

Thanks rGirl for the explanation. I really was confused about the term 'going Pro' when skaters are regularly appearing in shows and being paid to be in those shows. (Not like in my day when the rink rats were considered Pros and could not skate in amateur competition.)

I would agree with you on Yags just making a formal statement that he will no longer be in eligible competitions.

And for his "Pro" career, I also agree it will be tough. How long the hips can last is uncertain. He will be limited in his jumps which I appreciated very much even when he skated against Ilia. I thought back then that Yags was the better of the two. Just my feelings.

Makes one wonder: Two Olympic champions downed by hip problems. Is this the price to pay?

Joe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast