Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Who do you think will skip Worlds after the Olympics?

It looks like Shawn is going to be in a show March 21, so that would make it kind of tight for him to go to Worlds although it depends on what day the Mens SP is. I'm guessing they're going to send Kevin? I'm not particularly a fan of him, but I think that he can do better than Vaughn did at the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Where has it been confirmed that Vaughn won't be going to Worlds? Is it official, or just a rumour? I don't see it mentioned on his Twitter:

http://twitter.com/vaughnchipeur

On the Ice
    It looks like Shawn is going to be in a show March 21, so that would make it kind of tight for him to go to Worlds although it depends on what day the Mens SP is.
    The men SP is 24th, but the practice is 21st and 22nd, so he should be inTorino - but if he does the show......

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    The winners. The gold medalists.

Well, seems you were wrong. I know this was not the norm in the recent Olympics, but Yu Na and V /M will go , therefore you missed it by ...50%.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Apparently he might have to do a test skate to get a spot because Preaubert may be more fit to join Borodulin at worlds than Joubert after his bombing at the Olympics.
    Wow, the French federation is really not happy with Brian. When will it be known whether or not he has to do a test skate?

Custom Title
    I expected Evan to win at the Olys, although I am not an Evan fan. I also expected him *not* to go to Worlds if he did win the Olympic gold. No surprise there at all.

I am utterly delighted about some of the skaters who *will* be staying for Worlds. I am so glad that Johnny is staying; it was wonderful to see him skate as he used to before USFS shot down his planned program when he was with Tarasova. I think perhaps he lost some of his motivation then. To me, he is a wonderful skater, both athletic (love his triple axel) and *truly* artistic. The word "artistic" gets thrown around a lot, but it seems to me that some of the judges do not understand the meaning of that word at all lol. I think it's like what people used to say about jazz; either you recognize it or you don't, and if you don't, you never will lol. I look forward very much to the wonderful rivalry between Mao Asada and Yu-Na Kim, both amazing skaters with so much to offer, and they push each other to the heights. It is great to have a rivalry like that in figure skating again. I was so pleased to read the post that said that Daisuke will be at Worlds; I had thought the Olympics might be his last hurrah, and I really look forward to watching him again at Worlds. He was *so* good to watch at the Olys! I especially look forward to seeing Nobunari Oda skate his programmes again *without* a broken boot lace; I hope very much that his luck is better at Worlds. He is so talented and I think that his Chaplin programme is delightful.

As to the super-veterans, Yevgeny Plyushchenko and Brian Joubert, it would really be something to see them compete at their best. The days of heroic male skating may be passing, but nothing thrills me on ice more than pure male puissance, and "A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?". The men go for the moon in pole vaulting and other individual sports; why should they not do so in figure skating? Go for it, guys!

So, I was sniffing around at USFS to see who was going to be sent to Worlds, and then I read this thread, and it really perked me up. I know now, that I am going to get to see some real action. lol Thank you all.

P.S. I admire Mao Asada for going for what she really cared about most, for being true to herself and to her own ideals. I admire Johnny Weir for the same thing. Ranking systems come and go, but in the end, you have to look at yourself in the mirror. It's not all about the medals, after all; it is about love, love of sport and love of art, both of which are, I think, noble things.

Custom Title
    Rochette to perform during "Thin Ice" at MGM Grand
    Will air live on ABC March 19 at 8:00 p.m. ET http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...e_pressrelease
    Does this mean no Joannie at Worlds?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by just wondering View Post
    Rochette to perform during "Thin Ice" at MGM Grand
    Will air live on ABC March 19 at 8:00 p.m. ET http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...e_pressrelease
    Does this mean no Joannie at Worlds?
    I think so. Last I heard she was unsure of whether she would go or not.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Not really a surprise, but I am sad that i won't get to see her beautiful programs one more time. I dearly hope she comes back next season, at least for the major events. This sport needs her maturity, grace and beauty on the ice.

Rinkside
    Think yuna has confirmed she'll participate, so did mao...

Custom Title
    Rochette confirmed she WILL GO to worlds.

Medalist
    Kevin Reynolds is Vaughn's replacement - they're congratulating him on the Skate BC website:

www.skatinginbc.com

Custom Title
    Well, YuNa pretty much has to go to Worlds. If she doesn't, Korea will only get one spot at Worlds next year. I'm pretty sure Joannie's decision to skate at Worlds also has something to do with helping Canada keep their spots at Worlds next year, too. Which makes me think. . . Evan either has a lot of confidence in Jeremy's and Johnny's ability to place well, or he doesn't give a crap about securing 3 spots for the U.S. men next year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by herios View Post
    Well, seems you were wrong. I know this was not the norm in the recent Olympics, but Yu Na and V /M will go , therefore you missed it by ...50%.
    I know. This is really not a normal Olympic cycle. So many skaters wanted to stay after the Olympics, even some who have decided long ago that they would retire after the Olympics, such as Johnny Weir.

Edited to add:

It makes sense for Yu Na and V/M. While they can, grab more golds.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 03-05-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Whippet Good!
    Quote Originally Posted by vlaurend View Post
    Well, YuNa pretty much has to go to Worlds. If she doesn't, Korea will only get one spot at Worlds next year. I'm pretty sure Joannie's decision to skate at Worlds also has something to do with helping Canada keep their spots at Worlds next year, too. Which makes me think. . . Evan either has a lot of confidence in Jeremy's and Johnny's ability to place well, or he doesn't give a crap about securing 3 spots for the U.S. men next year.
    I don't think it'll be a problem keeping 3 spots for next year. Jeremy was 9th, and Johnny was 6th at the Olympics, but there will be less pressure at Worlds, and Stephane won't be there. I think it's very doable with Jeremy and Johnny.
    Last edited by Tesla; 03-05-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast