Olympic Gold Dance Team | Golden Skate

Olympic Gold Dance Team

Bruin714

On the Ice
Now that we've seen the top 4 perform their Olympic OD & FD, which team do you think has the most promise?

Tanith BELBIN / Benjamin AGOSTO
Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE
Oksana DOMNINA / Maxim SHABALIN
Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR

Let's try not to turn this thread into which is your favorite team.

Which team are best at Compulsaries? Which team has the best OD this year? Which team has the best FD this year? Which team will be left off the podium? And which team will win Olympic gold?

skatemom1122

Final Flight
Honestly, either Davis/White or Virtue/Moir. For the past two seasons they have come in consecutive places in almost every competiton, 1-2, 3-4, etc...and it is always VERY close. They have both beat one another several times, but this season Davis/White have had the edge. I do believe Virtue/Moir will lead after the CD, but I think the strong technical ability of the Americans in the OD and FD will lead them to a slim, but nonetheless, glorious, victory at the Olympic Games.

N

n_halifax

Now that we've seen the top 4 perform their Olympic OD & FD, which team do you think has the most promise?

Tanith BELBIN / Benjamin AGOSTO
Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE
Oksana DOMNINA / Maxim SHABALIN
Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR

Let's try not to turn this thread into which is your favorite team.

Which team are best at Compulsaries? Which team has the best OD this year? Which team has the best FD this year? Which team will be left off the podium? And which team will win Olympic gold?

Although I haven't ultimately seen the result of a lot of hard work and training, I refuse to count out Delobel and Shoenfelder as medal contenders. They are also consistently strong in the compulsory dances... Of the four teams listed though, I'd say Belbin and Agosto may have the edge in the compulsory dance, Davis and White in the OD and Virtue and Moir in the FD. Domnina and Shabalin's performances at Russian Nationals were certainly inventive and eye catching but if you want about sheer technique - I wasn't seeing it on the level I would expect from them. That said, that's not to say they couldn't clean up their act a little and be right in there or even on top. And there are certainly other strong teams too - like both Italian teams, like the Kerrs etc. that will factor into that top echelon and make things very interesting.

Big Deal

Final Flight
The Linichuk -team has won last year.You can discuss about it, was it correct or not. But I cannot see the reason why their lobby couldnot be succesful this year. My personel opinion that in CD Domnina-Shabalin will win, Belbin-Agosto will be a close 2nd. The best OD is Davis/White`s, the best FD is Virtue-Moir`s so far. We will see what happens there. Don`t think that Delobel-Schoenfelder won`t be in the package. They will be also THERE.

I think Davis and White are still on the rise and peaking at the right time. Belbin and Agosto, Virtue and Moir, and Domnina and Shabalin, also Delobel and Schoenfelder, are all just a bit past ripe, in my opinion.

sun.shine

Spectator
Dont think Davis&White will win Olympics at their age,despite they are pretty good,but i expect them on podium.
Virtue&Moir,BelAgosto,DomShab are all contenders,hope not politics and lobby will win.
I DO THINK Delobel&Schoenfelder will be among the best,because they are who really deserve it after 2006...of course,they have to skate as strong as they can:)

BlackAxel

Final Flight
To be honest, this is really going to be a close competition where every little mistake will count. To be honest Domnina/Shabalin are out of the running for gold, Shabalin's knees are just not dependable. Belbin/Agosto have a nice FD but I do not think they will get the OGM. So its really between Davis/White and Virtue/Moir. Like the previous poster said the OD shold go to Davis/White and the FD to Virtue/Moir. It'll be real intresting to see who comes out on top though. Personally, even though I am a D/W fan, I think should V/M should win. Every OGM ice dance team should have a memorable FD that will looked upon in the later years. Personally, V/M's Adagietto is superior in the overall sense than D/W's Phantom of the Opera.

Final Flight
Every OGM ice dance team should have a memorable FD that will looked upon in the later years. Personally, V/M's Adagietto is superior in the overall sense than D/W's Phantom of the Opera.

the OGM team SHOULD have a memorable Fd that can be easily archived as classic...but the system old or new determines the winner by the combination of the three dances. and mathematically as of what we've seen, D/W is top. but it would be nice to have mahler FD win (at least within the FD results)

I think Davis and White are still on the rise and peaking at the right time. Belbin and Agosto, Virtue and Moir, and Domnina and Shabalin, also Delobel and Schoenfelder, are all just a bit past ripe, in my opinion.

i never understood/ liked the fruit metaphor. peaking....falling vs comeback or just skate well. perhaps it deals with skating psychology but honestly a skater's performance shouldnt be determined by following a pattern/ direction like a sine graph.

judging from teams that have showed the world this seasons programs:

CD- tie between B/A and Dom/Shab
OD- D/W
FD - D/W and V/M

B/A - their OD doesnt feel very settled to me, but on the other hand their FD is very strong. similar to V/M they need to be clean and have a bolder presence for their prayer to work on the audience.

after seeing Dom/Shab's OD and FD....im heavily disappointed. im wondering how they will develop and progress towards Vancouver. OD - personally a bad joke. FD- mess. all the best to his knee.

Davis and White are rock solid. despite authenticity, just keep their OD tight, sharp and clean and their FD more believably presented and they'll see gold.

V/M - OD is a close close competitor with D/W's but their wild flamenco character is keeping away from consistency and perfection. FD - clean up rough edges (costume malfnctions, etc) and it will be an intense final battle - its a program that NEEDS to be PRISTINE in order to work.

as much as it hurts, Del/Schoen has been M.I.A. thus we cant say much. judging from their courchevel holiday gala exhibition performance, they seem to cope well to the...physical....changes. i am dying to see their two very pride-filled programs. but defintely strong CD technicians that gives them a strong foundation. thier Od's arent the seasons favorite/ crowd pleasers but they do the job in theme and presentation. FD - i have fallen in love with Brel's "La Quete" i have been imagining how the program would be choreographed (especially for the final part [lift?]) this program will be very emotional and moving. perfect choice for their final (competitive) bow.

off:
K/K: to me, juxtaposed with the "top" teams - i can't picture them within the podium. OD is bleh, FD is...too gala. inconsistency + lack of competitive difficulty
P/B - im bored with western themed ODs, im not sold by their FD.
F/S - missed them at GPF but their Fd will be beautiful
K/N - ...speechless.
C/P - 1st olympic babies! OD needs techinical work and changes, FD needs refinement and ease.
S/B - bland and juniorish

Last edited:

kareliz

Rinkside
I think Davis and White have a good chance of winning. They are fast, confident, expressive and consistent. I like all three of the top North American teams, and will be happy with any of them on top - hoping for a fair result, of course!

BlackAxel

Final Flight
I think Davis and White have a good chance of winning. They are fast, confident, expressive and consistent. I like all three of the top North American teams, and will be happy with any of them on top - hoping for a fair result, of course!

Yeah D/W are definitely in the running for gold. As I said before, I am a huge D/W fan but for them to be OGM alongside past winners such as Anissina/Peizerat, Grishuk/Platov, Klimova/Ponomarenko, and Torvill/Dean they really pale alongside. Including V/M as well. D/W have not matured and have not mastered those clean, long lines and footwork......Am I the only one who thinks this?

i love to skate

Medalist
I'd say:
B/A or V/M for the CD
D/W for the OD - I haven't seen B/A OD this season
V/M for the FD

Overall, I think V/M are going to win gold. I really think it will be a North American sweep which will be exciting to see :clap:

~tapdancer

On the Ice
Yeah D/W are definitely in the running for gold. As I said before, I am a huge D/W fan but for them to be OGM alongside past winners such as Anissina/Peizerat, Grishuk/Platov, Klimova/Ponomarenko, and Torvill/Dean they really pale alongside. Including V/M as well. D/W have not matured and have not mastered those clean, long lines and footwork......Am I the only one who thinks this?
Well, I've certainly read this same criticism of them in the past. I think their footwork is just fine, it's fast and clean and it's just what the judges want to see. All the teams struggle to get Level 4s on their step sequences and D/W aren't any better or worse than all the rest. Clean, long lines...well, they aren't tall skaters and don't have the classic line but you know what? I don't think that is rewarded as much as it used to be. Look at the guidelines for levels and GOEs and you'll see what I mean. D/W and V/M have developed with CoP and they present what the judges like, imo.

Ravensque

On the Ice
I'm of the opinion that V&M also have a superior CD, certainly comparable to the Europeans. With more tweeking of their OD, and their wonderful FD, they could be the podium spoilers, and rightfully so. At just 20 and 22 years old, they have a maturity far beyond their tender years and the skating skills to match. I certainly wouldn't rule them out like some have. If the judging is fair, they should be on the podium.:yes:

~tapdancer

On the Ice
I could be wrong about this but with the ISU or the IOC or whatever powers that be wanting to eliminate CDs from competition for the future, I have this feeling that the CDs will not be a huge factor this Olympics. I could see the judges putting everybody close together. Especially because there has not been any one team that is far and away above the rest. I don't put any stock at all in Dom/Shabs Russian nats CD score, that was just ridiculous. Not saying they don't skate CDs well, but 45 was ridiculous for their ability right now. Anyway, I just think that there will not be a lot of emphasis on the CDs and no team will have a huge advantage there, imo. Certainly not enough of an advantage that other teams with strong ODs and FDs can't overcome.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I think V/M and B/A are in the running for gold. I love both of their programs and I feel they will be evolved after Nationals. D/W have been amazing this season but I don't see them winning, I feel their skating has grown and they express themselves better but I don't see them as mature as the others, maybe that's just me, I think their long program is great but I just don't feel it, anyone know what I mean. I wasn't really impressed with Dom/Shabs and Im concerned about that knee. D/S have been mia and I wonder how having the baby took a toll on their training. I wish them all luck!:clap:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I think V/M and D/W deserve to be on the podium. I love both teams and would be happy to see them win any color medal. I honestly don't think B/A will medal. Their programs are not up to their usual standards. As to the D/S teams, we will need to wait and see what happens at the European championships. While highly unlikely it would be awesome if the Kerrs made it onto the Olympic podium.

Audrey19

On the Ice

Totally agree with you. I like them, but they are certainly not at the level of olympic champions yet. I think they lack of maturity and to me, there isn't enough dancing in their skating, which is often much too wild and rushed, IMO. Of all the teams, I think only DelSchoes have that certain something, the elegance and grandeur of olympic champions. Probably Tanith & Ben as well. Virtue & Moir might have that in the near future but not yet. I could also picture DenSta as olympic champs really well, but of course that's impossible.

jcoates

Medalist
I think part of the reason some have trouble seeing D/W or V/M as OGMs is b/c there is such a tight race this season for the top. In almost every past Olys in dance there has been a clear fave coming in or at least a prominent first team. Only in 94 was there really anything like this year and even then there were differences. T/D were uncertainties b/c of their time off. U/Z were probably the co-faves but had weaker material that year. G/P were talented and decorated skaters but had not won a big event yet. So to look at that event in hindsight, G/Ps stature is due in some part to what they did in later seasons to solidify their win.
Looking at that fact and the fact that the last two world champs had never medalled before. I think it's safe to say that the judges are open to rewarding whoever skates best despite our own biases toward our faves.