Elvis is Back | Golden Skate

Elvis is Back

southwest wind

Rinkside
Elvis is back after a 3 year retirement! :love::love::clap:

Sunday night was the world premier of "Rock the Ice" his new ice show. It premiered in Peterborough Ontario (my home town), a city of about 75,000 2 hours NE of Toronto.

Here are some details of what is up
http://www.memorialcentre.ca/Assets...Media+Releases/Rock+the+Ice+Press+Release.pdf

The line-up was great - Elvis, Surya Bonaly, Jeff Buttle, Joannie Rochette, Weaver and Poje, the Kerrs, Jason Graetz (a ice clown a la Kurt Browning witht he flexibility of Shawn Sawyer, and the adagio pairs Zaldua and Sukhanov and Afansieva and Dack (Dack is from Peterboorough which is why the premier is here) Roselle Soussana-Doyle (Elvis's choriographer) and Emmanuelle Balmori (an ice arielist who trained with Cirque de Soliel).

WP filled in at the last minute for Marie France D and Patrice L who were supposed to headline but MF was injured. They train about 3 hours away from here so I guess they could whip over to fill in.

Apparently the show will be going to Europe then to the US. They must be having a hiatus during the Olympics because Elvis said he was commentating for Yahoo then.

He had copies of his CD in the lobby for sale during intermission.

His skating was strong and he was well trained and still very flexible - it was obvious - he had strong Russian split jumps, super blurry spins and did several triples (no combos or quads tho ;))

If you want to see some videos, go to
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com

www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com, click on the video tab and then scroll down to Rock the Ice (clips from the show) and Rehearsing for Stojko Show (interview)

We had seats in the 3rd row from the front and they were $C55 :agree: Sometimes it pays to be a hick from the sticks!

Cheers
Southwest wind

N

n_halifax

Elvis fan or not, he ALWAYS knows how to put on a great show and always seems to assemble a really TRULY entertaining cast. I attended two of his Elvis Tours during the 90's and he always had a really cool group (Galindo, Manley, Bourne/Kraatz, Urbanski/Marval, Orser, Robinson, Savard Gangon/Bradet were among some of the skaters I remember seeing in these shows)... I watched the show clip - great to see Stojko on the ice again as well as Surya! She's still got one killer backflip. Zaldua and Sukhanov are a very experienced adagio team and Roselle Sousanna has also been skating professionally since the 90's. I hope Elvis continues to showcase talent we wouldn't have chance to see otherwise here in Canada these days. :clap:

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks for the update! :thumbsup:

Elvis looks FAB & the rest of the cast isn't bad either, lol. I love the fact that the ice aerialist from Cirque du Soleil is participating. This is the one gripe I had with Champions on Ice in the past when they employed the "clowns", which comes nowhere close to the stuff that Cirque du Soleil does, which is true art in every sense of the word.

kiz_4Ever

On the Ice
I saw Elvis (and there were also, among those you cited, Balmori, Zaldua-Sukhanov, Graetz) in one of those Chrismas gala in Europe: he was simply amazing :love: beautiful performance!!!:clap:

N

n_halifax

This is Emmanuelle Balmori. In regards to your comment "Emmanuelle Balmori, who was doing the acrobatic routine very similair if not identical to the kind of routine Marie-Pierre Leray is doing these days touring in Europe". I have been performing my aerial hoop on ice act since 2000, (my debut was in the Ice Capades 2000 tour), way before Marie-Pierre Leray started performing hers. In fact she got into aerials after we worked together in the ice show on the cruise ship Adventure of the Seas, on which I was an aerialist and she a skater in the cast. Your statement implies that I have "copied" my act on Marie-Pierre's, which in fact would be the other way around.
Please remove this offensive statement from the Forum.

i

My apologies once again for my misinformation - I have edited/removed my erroneous posting and profusely apologize for having offended you. I applaud the originality of what you are doing and was not aware that you in fact were the one to have inspired Marie-Pierre. Regardless, I think the creativity of combining aerials and skating is truly a class act and think it is a great addition to skating shows and a great source of entertainment.