Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best And Worst Commentators

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar

Best And Worst Commentators

Who, in your opinion, are the best and worst commentators (past or present)? Dick and Peggy are certainly the classics IMO for U.S. coverage although I love it whenever Scott Hamilton has been a commentator. For Canadian coverage, Tracy and Kurt are great but I also loved it SO MUCH when Barbara and Paul were commentating - probably my favourite. The guys on Eurosport are really knowledgable and fun as well. Debbi Wilkes is also really good at the job. As for the worst - sorry, but going to have to go with Peter Carruthers.

Custom Title
    I like Dick and Peggy the best. I don't really care for Scott...he's too excitable and when he likes someone, tends to go a little over board in his praise of them. Same with Tracy--while she doesn't get excited like Scott, I think she can get a little biased.

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    I adore Dick and Peggy, my only problem is that in the last ten years or so, I have noticed Dick make numerous, numerous errors in identifying elements etc. so that is my only real criticism of him... he's great otherwise! A legend!

Custom Title
    I think the British guys on Eurosport are called Chris Howarth and Nick ... (can't remember); I love their commentary! I missed them during the GP! Hopefully we'll get good coverage for Euros and Olys (though I'm not sure we're going to get live commentary at Olys from those guys since it's going to be middle of the night).

Custom Title
    Chris ,Simon & Nicky (EURO)
    Sandra Bezic
    Paul Wylie
    Last edited by inside edge; 01-17-2010 at 07:34 PM.

never liked Dick Button, and Peggy was too easily pushed around by Button for me to get on board with her commentary. I enjoyed Paul Wylie and Kurt Browning on ABC.

I don't like the NBC team, save for Scott, but I preferred him when he was on CBS... he had a more positive team around him so his commentary seemed more positive to me.

for color commentators I like Rod Black (that's his name right?) in Canada, Verne Lundquist (CBS), and my favorite is Terry Gannon.

I like Peter Carruthers when he's not on ABC lol I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    I think the British guys on Eurosport are called Chris Howarth and Nick ... (can't remember); I love their commentary! I missed them during the GP! Hopefully we'll get good coverage for Euros and Olys (though I'm not sure we're going to get live commentary at Olys from those guys since it's going to be middle of the night).
    Chris Howath with Nicky Slater (Euros) and Simon Reed (Worlds). Chris and Nicky are former skaters, I believe Simon is not. I like them, too, esp. Chris - they don't talk too much, they give the audience the information needed, they speak their mind but don't go on about wuzrobbing theories, and they almost always find something good to say, even about lower-ranked skaters. But can we do away with "this will be a real humdinger"? Please?

Euros coverage on ES will be crap, so be prepared. They're showing African soccer, Australian Open tennis, taped horse shows and lord knows what else.

Some of the Canadian broadcasters are pretty good. I think I like PJ Kwong.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Dick Button all the way!

Chris & Nicky manage to be uniformly positive and informative - they are the best of the rest. ETA: I guess I should include Simon as well. I didn't realize there was a third and have probably taken him for Chris or Nicky in the past.

PJ Kwong seems restrained and solid from what little I've heard of her.

But none of them can touch the wit and memorability of Uncle Dick.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021101460.html
    http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/a...k-button.shtml
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 01-17-2010 at 12:45 PM.

Custom Title
    Chris and Nicky from British Eurosport are my favourite commentators. I also like Paul Wylie, Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezic a lot. Button I could never tolerare, he spoiled the skating programmes because of his constant speaking.

Custom Title
    P J Kwong is amazing. Not only does she pronounce the skaters' names correctly, her observations are succinct, and don't detract from the skating. She even runs an online chat, answers email and interviews various identities during the ice resurface.

Nicky Slater, Chris Howarth and Simon Reed are right up there as well. I also love Debbi Wilkes for her keen observations.

On the other end of the scale, Kurt Browning is just awful. Love him as a skater, and he was an excellent host on Battle of the Blades (which makes his commentating skills even more of a puzzle). But some of his comments are just mindless prattle. In 16 years behind the mike, he has yet to learn the art of self - editing.

On the whole, I really don't like commentary at all. It's like going to the movies and having the person behind you give a play by play in your ear.

I'm like, shuddup and let me watch the skating already!

Custom Title
    Paul Wylie and the Eurosport guys are the best.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Watching competitions on Icenetwork has spoiled me. Now when I watch on TV, I keep thinking- when are these people going to SHUT UP?

I love Dick Button because he's just so catty. And sorry Scott, I love you as a skater, but as a commentator you are more biased than almost anybody. I don't think Evan's own mother loves him more than Scott does.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    It's like going to the movies and having the person behind you give a play by play in your ear.
    lol, that explains a lot! I dont mind a little commenting in the beginning, a lot less during the program and afterwards as much as they like.
    Apart from euroguys which are my favs and our commentator who knows when to speak, I liked Terry Gannon a lot and Peter Garrthers from vids i ve seen. They had something polite in their voice. And were informative. And one woman which was with one of them back in the late 90s, i dont remember her name.

I had never heard Hamilton more than 4 minutes of youtube and now I was listening for half an hour nonstop, I want Dick Button back (will he be at Olympics commenting?). At least he has better voice and is funny sometimes.
    I m sorry and all respect to Mr Scott but honestly how can you watch a whole competition with screaming and comments out of nowhere during the programs?

This was not enjoyable, I wanted to pause from my studying and watch the final group and it made me feel a wrack, lol! A lot anxious and had fast heartbeat in wrong way, like my house was burning and I needed to get out. When lysacek landed the 3axel and with all their excitement that he did, I thought he landed a 4axel and I missed it. I can only imagine what would have happened if he had landed the quad. With all the voices and happiness it gives the wrong impression that this thing was the big obstacle and the jump that determines if skater has a good skate or not. And I also dont like when he says 'all and all, not the performance I expected" or something like that , when he always says it during the last spin of the skater. Maybe wait the program to finish first. It ruins the final notes of music and pose of the skater.

Dont mind a little excitement but just in case the microphone should be a little more in a galaxy far far away.

Commentator is supposed to make your time watching pleasant and as you are in an excitement/anxious mode already yourself, entertain you a little while keeping you at the edge of your seat. It s a sport with music and performance, not football (which i enjoy anyway).

Meanwhile in a parallel universe .... theresa's Avatar
    I personally have a hate/love relationship with Dick Button. I love that he is very experienced and seems to tell it like it is with no blatant bias geared towards one skater. The thing that I really dislike are his comments of "stretch" exhibited by ladies. Its always like "wonderful position, but she needs to stretch more" blah, blah, and more blah. Especially during laybacks with the leg position,.....but then again I am a sucker for flexible backs and not so much for the leg position. Plus we all know how much he "loves" the beillmann position and the catch-foot, lol. :sheesh:

Dick Button, IIRC, will be at teh Olympics WITH Scott Hamilton and Sandra Besic, will Tracy be on Canadian Television or will she be back with NBC?

Dick's bias is evident, everyone is compared to Michelle Kwan(also found it ironic that he nailed a couple of ladies in 2006 for doing the MK style layback calling it something like lazy, but you watch MK do it while he's commentating and it's innovative and beautiful, can't stand the double standard)... someone needs to inform him she's no longer competing and therefore the ladies don't need to compete with her shadow just to justify his need to live in the past.
    Last edited by Tonichelle; 01-17-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast