Great Johnny Weir interview at Ice Network | Golden Skate

Great Johnny Weir interview at Ice Network

futureidol

On the Ice
LINK

Weir carries unflappable demeanor to Spokane

Headed to the Pacific Northwest confident and refreshed

By Lynn Rutherford, special to icenetwork.com

Johnny Weir rang in the New Year feeling something he hasn't always felt: well prepared for a major competition...

"Compared to last season going into nationals, I feel great," he said. "Back then I didn't know what I wanted. Now I know I want to be there for the Olympics in Vancouver in February. I want to be national champion again. I want medals. I feel that need to achieve again."

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I would like Johnny to skate well and make the team, but I feel like we heard this speech last year. And the year before. And the year before that. Johnny is always "working his butt off" "very well trained" before an event and then " I am not feelng well" "I can't focus" etc. If he is ready, good for him. but I am sure Jeremy and Evan and eveyrbody else is too.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
:clap:I just hope he throws it all down and has great skates, would love to see him reclaim the title

Medusa

Record Breaker
I would like Johnny to skate well and make the team, but I feel like we heard this speech last year. And the year before. And the year before that. Johnny is always "working his butt off" "very well trained" before an event and then " I am not feelng well" "I can't focus" etc. If he is ready, good for him. but I am sure Jeremy and Evan and eveyrbody else is too.
Unfortunately I have to agree here. For someone who praises himself for his honesty, he seems to repeat the same self-pep-talk quite often.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
:clap:I just hope he throws it all down and has great skates, would love to see him reclaim the title

A clean Johnny will not beat an Evan with a mistake or two. Look what happened at the GPF, never mind at Natioanls. The only way I see Johnny beating Evan is if Evan tries he quad and fails and Johnny is clean.

N

n_halifax

A clean Johnny will not beat an Evan with a mistake or two. Look what happened at the GPF, never mind at Natioanls. The only way I see Johnny beating Evan is if Evan tries he quad and fails and Johnny is clean.

I tend to agree with you here. Personally, I think Jeremy Abbott is the skater to beat here though.

dancingqueen

On the Ice
I would like Johnny to skate well and make the team, but I feel like we heard this speech last year. And the year before. .

Really ? What I remember in his speech last Nationals was that he didn’t sound confident, he said “ don’t expect a quad from me “ or something like that. Because he had an illness at that time.

But in this interview he sounds confident in his present situation, and what he is doing after GPF. He even mentioned doing three combination jumps which he never talked about in the past, if my memory is correct.

I think it’s a great interview from him. Well, his confidence doesn’t bother me at all. ;) Self-pep-talks are made by many other skaters as well , but it seems like when it comes to Weir, it becomes a big deal.

Go Johnny ! :rock::rock::rock:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
"First and foremost, I have to do all of my combinations," he admitted. "I'm a constant leave-it-outer. I think I've lost more titles because of double toes than any other skater in history.

"I'm still a little bit old school; I kind of think triple-double-double [combinations] are silly, but hey, they help rack up the points. That's my problem and I have to get over it fast. Like now."

Good. I hope he hits everything at Nationals.

jennylovskt

Medalist

I agree.

My first reaction to his interview was I don't want to hear anything from Johnny, just do it. If he could win the Nationals title again, that'll be great. But I doubt it.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lovely article, I enjoyed reading it over at IN today. :thumbsup:

The part that stood out to me the most was how he & his choreographer are putting in more transitions. BRAVO! This is exactly what I noticed at the GPF, and stated such, how ALL three American men are so great that the difference lies in the littlest things/splitting of hairs.

Right now Evan & Jeremy have the edge in transitions. If Johnny actually manages to equal them in this department I wouldn't want to be on the judging panel, too tough to decide, that's when it comes down to who has the *better perceived* program. And if it comes to that, I would have to go with Jeremy Abbott ~ b o t h of his programs are masterpieces IMHO. However, whomever manages to outjump the others (& a quad could make all the difference in the world) wins!

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Actually, looking at one of his quotes, I think he's let go of the National title itself; I think he's resigned himself to them handing that back to Evan. His focus has to be making it through to Vancouver.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I am glad to see he recognizes his weakness and is working on that, and building up to peak at Vancover, love his spins and his flow, can't wait to see what he's done with his long program.

pippa

Rinkside
"confidence" is an easy substitute to his arrogance

Yes, how inexcusably arrogant for an athlete to acknowledge his shortcomings and failures and say he has been training hard so he feels prepared for a competition. :sheesh: The egomaniac.

futureidol

On the Ice
Yes, how inexcusably arrogant for an athlete to acknowledge his shortcomings and failures and say he has been training hard so he feels prepared for a competition. :sheesh: The egomaniac.

:agree: Seriously! Weir is one of the least arrogant skaters around! I mean some of the people on here seem to be equating his attitude with the likes of Plushenko and Joubert. So he's confident? What should he say? "I suck and there's no chance I'll ever medal again?" Give him a break please and enjoy the article for what it is.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
:agree: Seriously! Weir is one of the least arrogant skaters around! I mean some of the people on here seem to be equating his attitude with the likes of Plushenko and Joubert. So he's confident? What should he say? "I suck and there's no chance I'll ever medal again?" Give him a break please and enjoy the article for what it is.

ITA. I think ANY athlete should go into a comp with a positive attitude and belief in himself, even if in most cases that belief is going to be unrealistic to varying degrees. (Though for me, Johnny's still got the "it" factor so I'm really not referring to him as having no realistic hopes, lol). After all, there's only one gold medal/first place per comp, but somewhere in his heart each athlete should believe in his chances or he may easily underperform -- "shoot himself in the foot," as we say in America.

I remember some of the statements Kimmie made when things had been plummeting downhill for her -- honestly, her demeanor and comments seemed to me actually dissociated from reality several times -- but no one expected her to truly acknowledge the full extent of how poorly she was doing or expect her to state she might as well abandon all hope and never enter an ice arena again. ~ Hmm, not meaning to pick on Kimmie, but just feeling like Weir pretty much does the same kind of interview just about any athlete does.