What do you think of CoP after SA | Golden Skate

What do you think of CoP after SA

Now that we have had not just Nebelhorn but also SA, what do you thinkg of CoP?

• It's an imporvement! :)

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Bring back the 6.0! :(

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Too early to tell.

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Makes no difference

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Now that we have had not just Nebelhorn but also SA, what do you think of CoP

mpal2

Final Flight
I still think it's too early to tell especially since I didn't get to see any of the dance and only some of the ladies thanks to our local station.

During the men's SP, Dick kept saying that skaters were opting to do less difficult elements but would score higher on the GOE. I'm not entirely convinced that it's the reason why we didn't see some of these guys attempt quads. Would they really have attempted them under the 6.0 system? Mike and Takeshi went for the quad, but I expected them to. I'll have to wait and see.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Well, I was completely against it at first, but SA did show that it had its upsides. I liked that spins/spirals/footwork were given considerable weight, where as usually it's mainly about the jumps. But, honestly, I still miss the 6.0 system. I think it has been part of skating for so long and really wasn't the issue that needed to be dealt with. Certainly...I would have been all for more mandatory technical deductions (flutz, etc.) and possibly even some triple restrictions. AND...judge accountability. That was the issue. Don't you think that the French judge in SLC could have manipulated this system to give S&B the win if she had wanted to? It's not an impossibility.

So, I'd need another choice:

Liked it, but I still want the 6.0 system!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
The placings would probably have been the same with the 6.0 system.

1. I do not believe Dance results would have been the same. If the judges had a choice, they would not have penalized the favorites in the OD so much for their mistake.
  2. Pairs would DEFINITELY be different, since under the old system a team in 2nd after SP that wins FS wins overall.
    [/list=1]

Antilles

Medalist
So far, I love it. I like the movement within competitons, especially now that we have Cup of China results. 7th to 1st-wow! There's more excitement. I think it really helps dance, and I like the idea of world records. It does still need some tweeking though, and I'm sure if someone really wanted to, they could still manipulate the system. It would just take a lot more work.

rain

Record Breaker
Not a perfect system (I doubt there ever will be), but there are a lot of things I like about it. I think there is less - though still some - room for adjusting marks based on favoritism. There's room for a lot of movement between short and long programs. There's more encouragement for skaters to put together programs that are more than just jumps, as ALL elements have specific points values. Makes it much more interesting to watch.

I still think there needs to be a system in place where blatantly corrupt judges are dismissed from ever judging again.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
At first I did not like the idea, but Debbi Wilkes gave such a great explanation of how it will work for the skaters at Skate Canada, it started to make sense. Also, by the fact that Jeff Buttle moved up to second place after his great skate - showed how it works for the skater. I think we will have to give it a fair run to see the benefits.