Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can Sawyer beat Chan?

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar

Can Sawyer beat Chan?

Not long ago, Shawn Sawyer posted a total score of 203.91 at Skate America whereas Patrick Chan posted a 198.77 at Skate Canada, his only international competition of the season thus far. In all this talk about Vaughn Chipeur, Jeremy Ten and Kevin Reynolds being Chan's main competition, are we neglecting the possibility that Sawyer, who won his first of three bronze medals at Nationals six years ago, is very much someone that could not only challenge Chipeur, Ten and Reynolds, but could even beat Patrick?

I have faith in the swan futureidol's Avatar
    I hope so!!! I love Sawyer's grace and flexibility. His LP is especially wonderful. I honestly thought Chan's programs were dreadful (even if skated clean) at SC, and the fact that his injury was bothering him was blatantly evident. But we only saw him once, so it's hard to judge. And now this coaching change so close to Canadian Nationals is concerning.

I hope Shawn can pull a major upset and defeat Patrick this week

Nope. Sawyer's triple axel is probably close to the most inconsistent of all the men. Patrick had three falls at SC whereas Sawyer had one of his best skates at Skate America so it's pretty unfair to compare those two scores.They aren't even close to being in the same league, imo.

Former figure skater and HUGE figure skating fan. n_halifax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i love to skate View Post
    Nope. Sawyer's triple axel is probably close to the most inconsistent of all the men. Patrick had three falls at SC whereas Sawyer had one of his best skates at Skate America so it's pretty unfair to compare those two scores.They aren't even close to being in the same league, imo.
    I'm not so sure. The only other time Chan has competed this season, albeit still injured, was in the free skate at the 2009 Liberty Open competition. He earned a 127.46, just ahead of Ross Miner, whereas 118.20 was Shawn's FS score at Rostelecom Cup, where he had a rough competition but still finished ahead of France's Florent Amodio... Shawn may not have the most consistent triple axel but he does have a full arsenal of triple jumps and a pretty consistent triple/triple. I don't think it's that much of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by n_halifax View Post
    I'm not so sure. The only other time Chan has competed this season, albeit still injured, was in the free skate at the 2009 Liberty Open competition. He earned a 127.46, just ahead of Ross Miner, whereas 118.20 was Shawn's FS score at Rostelecom Cup, where he had a rough competition but still finished ahead of France's Florent Amodio... Shawn may not have the most consistent triple axel but he does have a full arsenal of triple jumps and a pretty consistent triple/triple. I don't think it's that much of a stretch.
    Again, it's an unfair comparison. Liberty was in the summer. If Shawn competed in the summer it would be more fair to compare those two scores rather than comparing a summer competition to a grand prix.

ETA: I found Shawn's summer score:
    Shawn at Quebec Championships - clean program. 121.19
    Patrick at Liberty - 3 falls. 127.46
    Last edited by i love to skate; 01-09-2010 at 12:17 AM.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    It could happen, but I find it unlikely that the judges will "let" anyone but Chan win. They need their "poster boy" to enter Vancouver as reigning National champ. Think Michelle in 2002.

Custom Title
    I don't think it'll happen, and I don't think the judges need to worry about it happening

Custom Title
    In any case, I really hope Shawn will earn one of the two spots. Out of all current Canadian men aside from Chan, he is the most interesting to watch since Fedor doesn't skate for Canada any more

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrlmy View Post
    In any case, I really hope Shawn will earn one of the two spots. Out of all current Canadian men aside from Chan, he is the most interesting to watch since Fedor doesn't skate for Canada any more
    I agree with you. I also want Shawn to earn a spot for the Olympics. He's such a beautiful skater to watch.

Custom Title
    At Skate Canada Chan had the worst performance of his senior career, and was fresh off an injury... Whether in top form at Nationals or not, I figure that there is no way he will repeat such a performance at Nats. Now if Sawyer *did* manage to pull out 2 performances of the quality of his 2008 Skate Canada LP, complete with clean triple axel, and if Chan did struggle somewhat, I think Sawyer could/should have a shot ... not what I predict will happen though; Chan will easily beat Sawyer if Chan manages to do most of what he is capalbe of.
    Last edited by amateur; 01-09-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Custom Title
    Shawn at his absolutely best can beat Patrick at his absolutely worst, but I doubt if that can happen at the Canadian National Championships. This should be an easy walk through for Chan. Everybody else is fighting for the silver (I suspect everybody's score will be very inflated, but there'll still be a big gap between the gold and silver). Key thing for Shawn is that he HAS to land his 3As.

Probably not, but I think (and hope) he will be second. I don't see what all the hype is about Jeremy Ten. I think Shawn and Kevin are better..

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I do hope that Shawn will be on the Olympic team. He is such a joy to watch!!

I hope Shawn makes the Olympic team!!

Nope. Period.

Even though I like Shawn's skating, I don't think he is very competitive on world stage. I couldn't recall he ever landed the 3A cleanly in recent years, and now his 3Lz is not consistent enough to be placed in the short program. His transition is very smooth, but Patrick's is way more difficult with greater speed...this can go on, but I gonna to stop here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast