Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why Two Weekends Instead of One?

Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    I don't think it works that way.
    I know it doesn't work that way, that's why I made the comment that I busted a gut (laughed too hard)... personally I think since they were the ones that made the whole thing more difficult so it'd fit their schedule NBC should have to foot the bill of the unfilled seats... but that's just me. I know it wouldn't happen

in a perfect world, though.

Paying the bills
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I know it doesn't work that way, that's why I made the comment that I busted a gut (laughed too hard)...
    oops, sorry I missed that.

I talked with the promoters about WA state backing out of their promise, even though the state will reap a tidy sum from the tax money, and they arent worried. Sales have picked up and they are well over 133,000, which during a depression with 10 percent plus unemployment, is pretty darned good. News story on the local tv tonight. Even though the police presense was good last time, they are going to increase it from the arena to the hotels to the restaurants. Personally, I think they will use the bomb dogs to find the sandwiches you guys will try and smuggle in. I like the new schedule (OK I live here and am retired) but there is actually time to eat dinner some days!

I'm sure it is more relaxed, teh problem is most people can't take 14+ days off of work to see teh entire event... I like Mens and Ice Dance... with teh way it's set up right now I'd have to choose one or the other, if I were to go. I'm sure it's teh same way for a lot of people who would love to be at nationals the cheer on their favorites

I know...work gets in the way of life. Even in a regular seven day nationals, many cant take the eight or nine days off one really needs to get there, relax...see everything, and get home.

Rinkside
    It is partly for TV, but it's partly for the skaters as well. If anyone noticed, the pairs and mens event at the Olympics are earlier during the month than the other disciplines. By spreading Nationals over two weekends, the pairs and men are able to have a full month to train before their event in Vancouver. They actually end the same time Canadian Nationals does. What is difficult is the ladies and dancers that have to compete at 4CCs, which is the next week.

Paying the bills
    Quote Originally Posted by icedancer18 View Post
    It is partly for TV, but it's partly for the skaters as well. If anyone noticed, the pairs and mens event at the Olympics are earlier during the month than the other disciplines. By spreading Nationals over two weekends, the pairs and men are able to have a full month to train before their event in Vancouver. They actually end the same time Canadian Nationals does. What is difficult is the ladies and dancers that have to compete at 4CCs, which is the next week.
    Yes, I had mentioned that as well, but what's interesting is that it still looks like the skaters who are named to the Olympic team will be expected to skate at the Smuckers Spectacular. The men and pairs won't be able to just go back to their home rinks and continue their training. They'll have to fly home and come back, or maybe the LOC has ice for them to use and will pay their hotel for the week. It will still be a bit of a disruption either way. I'm sure they'll make the best of the situation though and stay focused.

Quote Originally Posted by icedancer18 View Post
    It's ALL for TV. It's NBC's idea and it's to get sponsors each week. The skaters (and fans) are just pawns in this game of money making.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    ABC used to tape half the stuff and show it the next weekend, but at least NBC is giving us most of the important events Live. I will put up with Scotts voice for that privilege!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2