Why Two Weekends Instead of One? | Golden Skate

Why Two Weekends Instead of One?

i love to skate

Medalist
Why are US Nationals spread out over two weekends?? Is it always like this? It seems pretty ridiculous to me! Does anybody have any insight on this?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
no it's not always like this

NBC asked the USFSA to do this so they could have more coverage on the senior event leading up to the olympics. It's stupid and if they don't go back to the 10 day event next season I think there will be even fewer seats with people in them. It's incredibly insane and stupid. But since the TV network is where the $$ is we can't very well stop it...

but I hope by 2012 it's back to normal, otherwise my nationals trips will pretty much be over :(

i love to skate

Medalist
Thanks Tonichelle! What silly reasoning! Hopefully it is just this one year, like you said. When people go to an event like this from out of town, most fans buy the all event package and I can't imagine many people have the time to hang around for two weekends in a row.

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
This is why we arent at Nationals this year :p I can see why NBC asked HOWEVER it sucks for the spectator

luvsasha

Final Flight
Because NBC is stupid??

Actually, I read somewhere that they wanted three (??) weeks training time between the nationals event and the olympic event. For example, there's three weeks between the end of the Pairs event at Nationals and the beginning of the Pairs event in the Olympics.

I think the USFSA is hoping to keep up the live gate with local fans from Spokane, to make up for all the poeple who won't be able to go from around the country.

The last time Spokane hosed U.S. Nationals they set all kinds of attendance records. It was a big deal for the city, and heavily promoted. In fact, it worked out so well that Spokane even put in a bid for Worlds.

So maybe the USFSA hopes it can have its cake and eat it, too. Satisfy the demands of its television partner, but still sell a lot of tickets locally. There still may be people who will come just to see the ladies and dance, or just to see the men and pairs.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
spokane HOSED the us nationals? man you'd think after that teh USFSA wouldn't come back. ;)

Tammi

On the Ice
but I hope by 2012 it's back to normal, otherwise my nationals trips will pretty much be over :(
The dates have already been posted for 2011 Nationals in Greensboro, NC and it's back to the one week schedule :agree:.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
very good... though if this is a "success" that may change... *sigh* I hope I'm wrong

Tammi

On the Ice
I don't think it's looking too successful at the moment. From the latest report I read out of Spokane, ticket sales have really fallen off and there are still plenty of hotel rooms to be found. Men and pairs skaters probably won't be able to attend the athletes party at the end of the week, or the fans of figure skating breakfast. I know that NBC wanted to spread it out and on paper, it might have even looked good for those few skaters named to the Olympic team, because of how the figure skating events are scheduled. Overall though, I think it hurts a majority of the skaters and fans. The turn around time for 4C's is ridiculous too.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wonder if NBC will pick up the difference if ticket sales are below what was expected come show time (wow I just busted a gut)

Tammi

On the Ice
I don't think it works that way. Spokane took a chance and it looks like it may not pay off for them as well as it did the last time they hosted.

The last I heard, Spokane also lost a big chunk of money from the State of Washington that they were counting on. The state legislature felt that the state was too broke to be spending money on sports promotions this year.

The organizing committee in Spokane was trying to make up the difference by scrounging up more money from local sponsors and civic groups.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think it works that way.

I know it doesn't work that way, that's why I made the comment that I busted a gut (laughed too hard)... personally I think since they were the ones that made the whole thing more difficult so it'd fit their schedule NBC should have to foot the bill of the unfilled seats... but that's just me. I know it wouldn't happen

in a perfect world, though.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I talked with the promoters about WA state backing out of their promise, even though the state will reap a tidy sum from the tax money, and they arent worried. Sales have picked up and they are well over 133,000, which during a depression with 10 percent plus unemployment, is pretty darned good. News story on the local tv tonight. Even though the police presense was good last time, they are going to increase it from the arena to the hotels to the restaurants. Personally, I think they will use the bomb dogs to find the sandwiches you guys will try and smuggle in. I like the new schedule (OK I live here and am retired) but there is actually time to eat dinner some days!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm sure it is more relaxed, teh problem is most people can't take 14+ days off of work to see teh entire event... I like Mens and Ice Dance... with teh way it's set up right now I'd have to choose one or the other, if I were to go. I'm sure it's teh same way for a lot of people who would love to be at nationals the cheer on their favorites

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I know...work gets in the way of life. Even in a regular seven day nationals, many cant take the eight or nine days off one really needs to get there, relax...see everything, and get home.