Mao Asada's SP backup plan | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada's SP backup plan

miki88

Medalist
The least mistakes of any of the ladies? What are you talking about? Her FS was a disaster. Along with the dramatic fall, she had an edge call on her lutz and under-rotated her 3X3 combo. Despite that she received the highest PCS for the FS and this allowed her place ahead of all the ladies and win the gold.

http://www.soniabianchetti.com/writings_scandinavium.html

I mean the overall competition, not just the FS. If we refer only to the FS, then Yuna should win obviously.But she made mistakes in the short and was placed fifth which makes it hard for her to win the gold even with a clean FS. If anyone was judged leniently at that competitions, I would say Costner. She made a lot of mistakes but was placed higher than Yuna. So if you are saying the judges propped up Mao's scores, I don't know why you don't mention Costner as well. As for higher PCS, I think it's because she has the most difficult programs (triple/triple and triple axel). Just like Yuna would have the highest PCS now scores since she has the most difficult programs.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Sounds like a good plan, if Yuna and Rachael are the only ones to attempt 3-3s (if Rachael even goes) I don't think it would hurt Mao to not have a 3-3. Joannie and Miki have only been doing 3-2s this season and they have been getting very good scores, so I'm sure Mao can do the same.

I hope that Miki goes for 3-3. But I feel that it may be in LP rather than in SP. Carolina had a gorgeous 3-3. I wonder how she is doing lately. Does Joannie have 3-3? I recall her doing a sequence.

It would be interesting to see what Mao's jump plans would be for the next season. I feel that she is still in some transition stage. We may see her doing 3F-3L, 3F-3T, Lutz, and Sal again.

I was watching her Waltz from the last season and I felt that her programs were better balanced last season and technically more difficult and challenging except for 3A in SP. Are this year's programs actually supposed to be easier for her in a way? I heard before that TAT pushes her students to try out many things a year before the Oly and goes for a safer way during the Oly season. The idea might be that she wanted to focus on her favorite jump, 3A, this season, as she had so many things to do last season. It seems to me as if, among all the newer challenges that she tried out last season, the two-3A plan is the one that survived and is reflected in this year's programs and that the rest of the things may be left for the next season for us to see.

But I still feel that something like 3F-3T, 3R, 2A may be a safer and more rewarding layout for her. I had an impression that her 3F-3T is more consistent than her 3A-2T, even though 3F-3R was getting a riskier combo for her. Doesn't she like 3T because of toe axel? Or they wanted to go for the highest possible TS for her?

Last edited:

Figure88

On the Ice
I mean the overall competition, not just the FS. If we refer only to the FS, then Yuna should win obviously.But she made mistakes in the short and was placed fifth which makes it hard for her to win the gold even with a clean FS. If anyone was judged leniently at that competitions, I would say Costner. She made a lot of mistakes but was placed higher than Yuna. So if you are saying the judges propped up Mao's scores, I don't know why you don't mention Costner as well. As for higher PCS, I think it's because she has the most difficult programs (triple/triple and triple axel). Just like Yuna would have the highest PCS now scores since she has the most difficult programs.

Mao also had an edge call on single 3Lz in the short, so it wasn't as if her SP was perfect.

It's also kind of laughable that you'd think she deserved the highest PCS for the FS on merits of the 3X3 and 3A, when she had the faceplant on her 3A and her 3X3 was under-rotated. Her "difficult" jumps were either not executed or done properly.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
Her 2008 Worlds gold was controversial. She won because she was awarded the highest FS PCS scores of any of the other lady contenders. Also, she was given full credit for 3X3 in her short but she under-rotated 3L of her 3X3 in her long. So it wasn't as if she didn't have the problems in the past. The judges seemed her have just ignored giving deductions or propped her scores up with PCS points in the past.

So who are you saying should have won then?

miki88

Medalist
Mao also had an edge call on single 3Lz in the short, so it wasn't as if her SP was perfect.

It's also kind of laughable that you'd think she deserved the highest PCS for the FS on merits of the 3X3 and 3A, when she had the faceplant on her 3A and her 3X3 was under-rotated. Her "difficult" jumps were either not executed or done properly.

IMAO. I never said her SP was perfect. Well, PCS means programs components score, so I think base value of jumps counts toward that. The technical score covers more of whether it was executed or done correctly. I am really curious to know who you think deserved to win at that competition :p

Morning Glory

On the Ice
Sonia Banchietti believes it should have been:

1)Yuna
2)Mao
3)Caroline

Are you Sonia?:biggrin: I think miki and chloepoco want to know your opinion.

Back to the topic, why team Mao didin't make a backup plan at the beginnig of this season. Even fans worried about the double count of 2As when she failed first 3A.

Figure88

On the Ice
Uh, I didn't ask who Sonia Banchietti believe should have won. I asked who YOU thought should have won?

well, at first, I didn't think there was clear winner. But, after I read Banchietti article, highlighting the mistakes that Mao made in her mistakes in her SP & FS and bringing out the fact that Mao basically won the Worlds through her PCS in her FS, I side with Banchietti, and think it should have been Yuna.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
I read that article. But what that article failed to explain was the mistakes made my Yuna in her SP which must be major since it put her in 5th. I don't remember clearly what mistakes she made cuz this was 2 years ago, but I remembered it wasn't a good skate for her. But let's be realistic, when did a skater win the gold after being 5th in the short? That's too much to make up. If Yuna were higher in the short, she probably would have won. Also, Yuna is a skater that relies more on her SP to give her the advantage and in this competition she uncharacterisically faltered in the SP. But I would put her above Carolina, because I agree with Sonia, I did not like Kostner's skating that night.

MKFSfan

Medalist
IIRC, YuNa won the LP. She made two huge mistakes in the SP to keep her way back-fell on the lutz and getting only a level 1 on her SpSt. If I'm not mistaken, she also didn't get any level 4's on non-jump elements (neither did Mao, but she also didn't fall).

chloepoco

Medalist
well, at first, I didn't think there was clear winner. But, after I read Banchietti article, highlighting the mistakes that Mao made in her mistakes in her SP & FS and bringing out the fact that Mao basically won the Worlds through her PCS in her FS, I side with Banchietti, and think it should have been Yuna.

Uh huh.

Figure88

On the Ice
I read that article. But what that article failed to explain was the mistakes made my Yuna in her SP which must be major since it put her in 5th. I don't remember clearly what mistakes she made cuz this was 2 years ago, but I remembered it wasn't a good skate for her. But let's be realistic, when did a skater win the gold after being 5th in the short? That's too much to make up. If Yuna were higher in the short, she probably would have won. Also, Yuna is a skater that relies more on her SP to give her the advantage and in this competition she uncharacterisically faltered in the SP. But I would put her above Carolina, because I agree with Sonia, I did not like Kostner's skating that night.

Uh Yuna DID make it up with a little help from Mao and Carolin because they both skated disasterously in the FS and as result Yuna had the highest TES scores of any of the ladies. It was because of the fact that Mao's PCS score for her FS was higher than Yuna's that she won the gold.

Figure88

On the Ice
IIRC, YuNa won the LP. She made two huge mistakes in the SP to keep her way back-fell on the lutz and getting only a level 1 on her SpSt. If I'm not mistaken, she also didn't get any level 4's on non-jump elements (neither did Mao, but she also didn't fall).

If we're going to count each mistake, why don't we mention Mao's edge call for her single lutz in her SP. And her faceplant in her 3A, along with her edge call again on her lutz, and DG on 3X3 combo in her FS. More mistakes than Yuna made in her SP & FS combined.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
Uh Yuna DID make it up with a little help from Mao and Carolin because they both skated disasterously in the FS and as result Yuna had the highest TES scores of any of the ladies. It was because of the fact that Mao's PCS score for her FS was higher than Yuna's that she won the gold.

You obviously didn't think it was that disastrous of a skate if you originally thought there was no "clear winner".

Figure88

On the Ice
You obviously didn't think it was that disastrous of a skate if you originally thought there was no "clear winner".

No, I did think her FS was a disaster and I said before she shouldn't have received won the Worlds title with such a fall.

chloepoco

Medalist
No, I did think her FS was a disaster and I said before she shouldn't have received won the Worlds title with such a fall.

In that case, why would you "first think there was no clear winner" if Mao's skate was as disastrous as you say?

At any rate, this thread is becoming off topic. I think it's great that Mao has a back up plan.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If we're going to count each mistake, why don't we mention Mao's edge call for her single lutz in her SP. And in her faceplant on her 3A, along with her edge call again on her lutz, and DG on 3X3 combo in her FS. More mistakes than Yuna made in her SP & FS combined.

:yes: . And Yuna should have definitely beat Carolina, and Mao too, though I thought Mao deserved to win in 2007. I was surprised Yuna was in 5th after the short, sure she fell on her solo jump but she still had the beautiful 3-3 and 2a. This season at the GPF she popped her flip which should lose more points than a fall and was in 2nd by half a point. Carolina should not have won the SP because her lutz was a mess, Mao should have been 1st, Carolina 2nd, Yuna 3rd because she is so obviously better than Kiira Korpi even with the mistakes and Yukari was good but her skate was over-scored. And then in the free Yuna won but if the SP placement had been right she would have won overall instead of coming in 3rd behind Mao and Carolina who had a lot of issues in the FS. At least that's how I see it.

And Joannie and Mao really do have comparable PCS they have gotten nearly the exact same PCS marks at all their competitions for the past 2 years. Joannie also doesn't have issues with URs and I do think her GOEs are normally better than Mao's because her jumps are higher and landings stronger and longer, Mao tends to rush through things.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
:laugh:
I figured as much.

Okay, Sonia Bianchetti is wonderful and all, but basing you decision on her opinion is basing it on someone who has clearly demonstrated a lot of Yu-Na favoritism.
Also note that Sonia said that Yu-Na might have won. We can do all the speculation in the world we want, but in the end it is widely agreed that Mao won rightfully. We can guess at any competition we can say "So-and-so's scores were inflated!" or "So-and-so would have won if they got the scores they deserved!" but in the end, it won't change a thing.
Mao got a high PCS because of the musicality of her transitions and the overall quality in her skating that was just superb.
Mao was on that night and deserved to win in the same way that Yu-Na was on at the 2009 Worlds and deserved to win then. :yes:

Anyway, I think it's great she has some sort of cushion in case things go wrong, as they have seemed to this season. I think it's wonderful if all top skaters have this sort of plan so their program isn't completely ruined if they miss one combo pass.

Last edited: