Jeremy Abbott | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Jeremy Abbott

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Not when your jumps are pretty much the only point getter that you can rely on.
Lambiel also lost less than 4 points to him in the LP by making way more mistakes than Plushenko did.

You say it like jumps aren't a big deal, when in fact they constitute the majority of technical element scores in singles skating. And Plush is extremely reliable on all the high level jumps. Nor are jumps his only weapon, he also got level 4 on all his spins at Euros. :p

julielai

Rinkside
Frankly, I'm kinda sick of this arguement. Yes, Joubert has very good speed and is powerful, but Plushenko (???) as of late is NOT fast. It's apparent on TV that he strokes strokes strokes between the jumps and his skating looks laboured, so does his footwork. He might have been better 4 years ago, but so far he's not THAT impressive. Considering the amount of in betweens that Jeremy does besides stroking, his speed is WAY decent.

Comments that hint at Jeremy's skating skills not being up to par with the likes of Joubert or Plushenko really tick me, because that's just not true.

OPinions on who's the best skater will vary based on our perspectives, but going by the protocols, Jeremy's PCS do seem a little behind Dai, Evan, Lambiel, and Plushy, rightly or wrongly. Jeremy will need to max out his PCS in Vancouver.

shine

Record Breaker
Who has the best skating skills is not really in the eye of the beholder.

julielai

Rinkside
Well, depending on how you weigh each of the following criteria (edges, speed, power, transitions, etc.). That's why we have more than 1 judge in the panel.

Anyway, I'm a huge Jeremy fan. But Jeremy is obviously laying low, trying to play underdog. I'm just going to be happy with whatever he's happy with and that be that. That said, I'd love to see him medal in a big event soon.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Who has the best skating skills is not really in the eye of the beholder.

So far, Jeremy has never competed with Plushenko and Lambiel. He has never beaten Joubert. He has lost to Takahashi once, but later beaten him twice this season. The Olympics will be the first time for them all to meet. What we have said were all hypothesis. We'll see what the judges think about them all. I like Jeremy's skating. I certainly hope that if he couldn't get on the podium at the Olympics, get on this year's Worlds will be good too.

Last edited:
Well, depending on how you weigh each of the following criteria (edges, speed, power, transitions, etc.). That's why we have more than 1 judge in the panel.
Is that really the reason? That may hold for any skater's Nationals, but for international competitions I believe most judgements are made along cultural lines. Your criteria is amusing to me. It spells Moscow whereas if music were added it would spell Switzerland.

julielai

Rinkside
I'm not sure what your point is, Joesitz. This thread is about Jeremy, and who's best and what's best is a side discussion that I'm not interested in. I am crazy about Jeremy's skating and I adore him, but like Jeremy, I'm more than happy to let his skating talk and enjoy his progress.