Jeremy Abbott | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Jeremy Abbott

Figure88

On the Ice
^^Have you read that last few posts? Posters were assessing the performances of Jeremy, Evan, and Johnny. I merely responded to those concerns. YOU are the one who is being ridiculous.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
^^Have you read that last few posts? Posters were assessing the performances of Jeremy, Evan, and Johnny. I merely responded to those concerns. YOU are the one who is being ridiculous.

I am not going to play this game with you. To me, it doesn't make sense. So I'm off.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Prob b/c there's something about his skating/ personality that doesn't attract tons of fans. To me, he is a phenomenal example of how someone with a zero natural talent but with very strong work ethics can achieve anything in life.

Just to put things in perspective, compared to everyone who ever takes skating lessons, anyone who achieves a double axel or passes the US senior tests (which require other skills) is easily within the top 10-20% of natural skating talent, combined with work ethic.

Anyone who makes it to the world medal podium is far far above that level. So anyone who stands out from that elite group as even more talented is truly exceptional.

Having less talent than the once-in-a-generation exceptionally talented stars is still a far cry from having "zero natural talented."

Someone with zero natural talent or bottom 10% would probably get stuck and quit before achieving a single axel.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Just to put things in perspective, compared to everyone who ever takes skating lessons, anyone who achieves a double axel or passes the US senior tests (which require other skills) is easily within the top 10-20% of natural skating talent, combined with work ethic.

Anyone who makes it to the world medal podium is far far above that level. So anyone who stands out from that elite group as even more talented is truly exceptional.

Having less talent than the once-in-a-generation exceptionally talented stars is still a far cry from having "zero natural talented."

Someone with zero natural talent or bottom 10% would probably get stuck and quit before achieving a single axel.

I know your post is not directed to me, but I have responded to the same quote. I thought the "zero natural talent" part was a playful and exaggerated expression. Still to me, considering the meaning of it, what Hsuhs said was true.

Last edited:
Wait a minute! It's pick on Hsuhs day and nobody told me! ;)

I can't put everybody on my ignore list (ppl like mods), and I wouldn't want to do that.

:rofl: What's interesting about that is, the only way you would know this is if you tried to do it -- probably over and over. :)

Anyway, here is my contribution to this Jeremy thread: Miki Ando and Carolina Kostner are very pretty. :p

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I just saw abott's gala from fsvids, and while in competition mode his Lp has not grown on me(i love the sp), his gala is magical. Very different feeling, like he doesnt think at all. I m not sure about competition but i would totally pay to see him in a show.

Anyway, here is my contribution to this Jeremy thread: Miki Ando and Carolina Kostner are very pretty. :p

wrong door, miki thread is just below this one.:p

shine

Record Breaker
Uh, I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at. That was not a sleight on Jeremy. I'm supportive of Jeremy as well. Maybe, he might be better than Evan. However, we've only seen Jeremy do well at some competitions and then fold at others, as he did at GPF. Evan, however, has won 2 major international competitions. His scores are in the same league as former Olympians, whereas we don't know if Jeremy's phenomenal score 263 can be repeated in international competition. Jeremy and Evan are about equal in my eyes.

Regardless, I think US men have a very strong team going into Vancouver and have a very strong chance of medalling. I'm not picky as to whether it will be Jeremy or Evan.

Really, is this your own personal thread?

This thread was created partly in support of the American men going into Vancouver. I'm sure for many Americans it's not either/or as to who they would support in Vancouver.

Uh, no. This thread was created entirely for one specific skater. Check again.

Figure88

On the Ice
Shine
Uh, no. This thread was created entirely for one specific skater. Check again.

I didn't read the whole thread. I was responding to the last few posts assessing the chances the Jeremy, Evan and Johnny. To that affect, my beginning post (that Hsuh responded to) was completely on topic. OK?

Last edited:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
:rofl: What's interesting about that is, the only way you would know this is if you tried to do it -- probably over and over. :)'

'Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results'

So I tried once.

That is so shellow of you, not to mention provocative.

while in competition mode his Lp has not grown on me(i love the sp)

In the beginning, I wasn't crazy about his lp music choice. Also, I expected of Yuka Sato to try to turn Jeremy into a Kozuka-like skater. But in the end, everything worked out very well.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I started this thread so a few of you would have a place to trash Evan ;)

Thank you! You've been so nice!:laugh:

ETA: Here is Jeremy's exhibition from Natls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbl7JUlPZxA

You are too late. I have already seen this for at least 50 times.:biggrin:

Oh, MM! At least pretend to be nice, OK?:laugh:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
thanx for the Jeremy link, now i ll bookmark it on youtube also!
Now i need plush to skate in gala to bad romance and all my skating dreams will be fulfilled.:love:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now i need plush to skate in gala to bad romance and all my skating dreams will be fulfilled.:love:

Now that would be MOST interesting . . . hopefully in the white Gaga video costume too. Now if only we can get Yu-Na Kim to skate to Shakira's She Wolf. :p

Last edited:
People just we tend to remember the last skate and in the last skate Jeremy was awesome and won over Evan .
Dont compare scores from different competitions, gpf had only 6 skaters and the only one with quad in sp and lp was last.:rolleye: Marks were inflated there as they were in Euros also. No conclusions. :)

Lol the Isu ranking is hilarious!
Thank you senorita. It's the sanest comment on the topic. I would add some people can not deal with a topic that is not about the ladies, and worse if no numbers are involved

btw, the ISU rankings are based on the number of comps a skater enters. It is not to be taken seriously.

herios

Medalist
Jeremy has only to skate as well at the Olympics as he did at Nationals. Remember Paul Wylie? He hadn't finished any higher than 10th at Worlds before the 1992 Olympics, but he skated his way to an Olympic silver medal.

I am hoping Jeremy to have more than a Paul Wylie moment. I am hoping he'll medal in Turin, even if he fails in Vancouver.
In Vancouver will be very crowded, more than I can remember in the last 20 years. 4 world champions, several other medalists.

The only thing I would like him to do to skate clean. The judges will reward him, he had very good marks, his programs are well appreciated, for a good reason, some of the best pieces of choreography this year. He is my fav. male skater by far, although I am not american. I dropped Chan of my list after his cocky attitude last year when he got into the trash talk with Brian Joubert.
I like my skaters to be nice guys as well not just very skilled, like Jeremy is.

Last edited:

jennylovskt

Medalist
I wish Jeremy could hit that quad jump in LP. Somehow I feel that if he makes his quad jump clean, he'll do the rest very well. He'll do the rest well too if he fall out on the quad, of course. But if he makes the quad clean, I feel, he'll be at least in the top 6.

Evan is ok. he's a competitor and that is what a sport is all about. Keeping the sport "masculine" will be in his favor.

Jeremy is the best that the USFS has to offer for the Olys. He can do the tricks to the music and without being flamboyant. His biggest competition will be someone with equal Tech, but who sells it with a lot of pizzazz and get the roar of the crowd. Does it affect the PC scores?

Johnny, unfortunately has not developed an arsenal of jumps, however, what he does, he does well.

When thinking about the podium, can any of the above mentioned be on it?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Say what you will about him, but he won the GPF fair and square. He's a tough competitor and that's his main strength.

Nobunari Oda could have been a justifiable GPF winner. His jumps are way better quality. The judges went with Evan.